DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Krakow
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 17:48

Off to Krakow soon, group of us from work heading over to meet some work colleagues based there and hang out for a few days.

Nothing officially planned yet but was certainly considering going to Auschwitz (would regret it if I didn't take the opportunity) and the Salt Mines.

Is there any recommendations/tips?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Krakow
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 18:34

Go to the Saltmines.You can do both in one day.Salt mines make you feel better after Auschwitz.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 19:00

I recommend not goose stepping.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 19:03

Various tour operators provide different combinations of visits to the Salt Mines, Auschwitz and Schindler's Factory at reasonable prices.

I would strongly recommend a guided tour of the camp over DIY.

TripAdvisor is a decent source of offers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 22:11

Krakow is the best city I've ever visited. Beautiful to look at and cheap to eat and drink. Went to Auschwitz and Birkenau and it drained the life out of me but was glad we went.

Don't drink polish vodka.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 22:30

Wise idea about the vodka.I don't drink spirits but we were in company and the bar kept sending over free flavoured vodka shots.I think we had a great night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 03:26

Why don't you just ask the friends you're going over to visit? Surely they'll know better than others?

Anyway.. Stunning city. Plenty to do. Benefits of being engaged to a polish woman, is that I get to visit all these cities regularly. Amazing country.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 10:40

"I recommend not goose stepping."

I was surprised at the number of German visitors to Auschwitz when we were there - just an observation.

On the subject of local refreshments, some very acceptable Polish produced IPA styles and wheat beers likewise.

Waiters and bar staff will keep you right.

Post Edited (Sat 13 Jul 12:59)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 13:07

Why were you surprised there were Germans there?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 15:38

"Why were you surprised there were Germans there? "

A few years ago, for example, I was in the then Yugoslavia and there was an excursion on offer to certain tourist attractions - the guide advised any Germans on the bus not to get off at one of the stops.

Heard another similar story from a couple we met in Crete a while ago - their hired car broke down up in the mountains near a small village with one very basic garage. The owner hummed and hawed, not having good English, indicating how long it would take to repair and it might need expensive special parts sent from Heraklion.

When serving them, the local cafe owner clocked they were Brits pretty quickly and had a word with the garage owner - he immediately came over, apologised profusely, confessed that he thought they were German, and advised the car was ready to go, no charge - a simple fault quickly fixed.

Then there is Lt. Col. Otley who commanded 9 Para on D-Day, point blank refused to meet former German military at any anniversary ceremonies post war.

Not everybody forgives and forgets - that's fact, as much as an observation.

Lots of Poles in the older generations are likewise minded - although they hate the Russians even more.

Incidentally, it was not just Auschwitz - the atrocities the Germans perpetrated in Warsaw August 1944 suppressing the rising are sickening.

Look up SS Brigade Dirlewanger - barbarians.

Post Edited (Sat 13 Jul 15:48)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 17:49

I worked with a polish girl a few years back and I jokingly apologised for being part German. She just laughed and gave me a playful slap to the head. She then told me it was Russians that she really hated. I didn’t realise it was widespread.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 18:00

We had a local Polish Club for many years, all had fled in 1939 when the Germans and Russians invaded.

Every so often a small group of relatives were allowed to visit from Poland - tours to the usual Scottish tourist locations were arranged, however all they wanted to do for the first few days was visit supermarkets and shops to experience goods thay had no way of buying in Poland at the time.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net