DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Williams v Halep
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 15:37

What a performance by Halep and a great on-court interview. I love it when the so-called experts get it wrong!

OOPS!

Post Edited (Sat 13 Jul 17:44)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Williams v Hapel
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 15:40

What time was that game on, I was watching the match v Halep ? ;)

Online kidding. Was a phenomenal performance from Halep and Serena had no answers. Shame as would have been nice to see her equal Margaret Court's record. Time running out for her now.

Thought both post match interviews were really good too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 17:10

Halep was able to nullify the Williams power game by being so fleet of foot. A terrific performance by the Romanian who had Serena looking like a boxer struggling to make the weight.

An awkward moment for the BBC when they had two American commentators- Austin and MacEnroe- lined up for what they assumed would be a Serena coronation. When they grabbed hold of Martina Navratilova to offer some balance she reminded us of how back in the late 1960s you could only work out where the ball was on B/W television by looking at where the players were moving.

sammer

Post Edited (Sat 13 Jul 17:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 20:33

Sir David Attenborough is credited with tennis balls being yellow. Sammer, you probably knew this already but it’s a decent bit of trivia for other folk.

https://www.tennis365.com/-features/how-tennis-changed-from-white-to-yellow-tennis-balls-thanks-to-david-attenborough/
[IP address logged]
 Re: Williams v Halep
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 22:34

A tremendous effort by Williams to reach yet another grand slam final. All the more impressive at the age of 37. If Halap is still among the game's best in 10 years I'll doff my cap to her.
I think you are over analysing the BBC commentating team Sammer. McEnroe and Austin have been part of the BBC Wimbledon set up for some years now.
As it was when Navratilova joined them after the match had ended they then had three U.S citizens as part of the coverage.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 23:04

Chanda Rubin was also part of the preview team. Needless to say, when asked to pick a winner, Austin, McEnroe and Rubin all chose Williams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 23:27

Yeah she was the overwhelming favourite having looked impressive in the earlier rounds and having won 20 odd grandslams.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jul 09:05

I was just a wee bit surprised none of the experts had any reservations considering she'd lost her last two 'slam' finals. If you listened to their analysis after the match you had to wonder why they didn't anticipate any of the problems Williams experienced.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 14 Jul 10:56

Williams had won her last five against Halep including beating her the last time they met in January at the Australian Open.

Bookies had Williams at 1/2 and Halep at 6/4. If I was employed to make pre game tennis predictions I think I'd have gone Williams too but tennis isn't my strong point.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net