DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Future is Young
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 11:22

This thread is intended to spotlight young people doing worthy things. Hence, although the first example contains words like "politicians" and "parliamentary", it is not about politics so I ask that it will not be moved to that forum.

<<< Right-wing politicians in France mocked the 16-year-old climate change campaigner Greta Thunberg as a “guru of the apocalypse” before boycotting her appearance in the French parliament.

[They called her] the “Joan of Arc of climate change”, the “Justin Bieber of ecology” and a “prophetess in shorts,” *>>>

(You gotta laugh!)

<<< The Swedish activist, who has inspired a global network of young climate protesters, responded to the cynicism when she spoke at a parliamentary committee meeting.

“Some people have chosen not to come here today, some have chosen not to listen to us and that is fine, we are after all just children, you don’t have to listen to us. But you do have to listen to the scientists, that is all we ask,” she said. >>>

Quotes from The Independent 25/7/2019
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Future is Young
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 14:35

Right wing climate deniers are some of the most blundering stupid people in existence. Self selfing tools who couldn't care less because they'll be dead before the worst comes. Who cares about their kids generations, eh?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 27 Jul 19:28

I place more hope in Greta and the next generation than the vast majority of current politicians who are nothing more than self serving pigs with their noses in the trough
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jul 00:41

Thanks Andrew and red-star, but rather than saying what we’re against I’d like to make this thread an appreciation of what some young folk have done or are doing, because I find it gives me a lift to think of them and what the future can be like if more young folk who care about others and the environment are able to get involved in making the world the way they want it.

As well as Malal Yousafzai and Greta Thunberg, here's a couple more examples that took my fancy:

Easton LaChappelle

'14-year-old LaChappelle built a prototype for a robotic hand out of Legos and fishing wire in 2011, which earned him third place at the Colorado State Science Fair. [By chance,] he met a seven-year-old girl at the science fair who had a prosthetic arm that cost $80,000. [He set himself] to build a more affordable alternative. Now he runs a startup that uses 3D printing to build prosthetic arms and hands, bringing the price down to just $350 to produce. He also made the design accessible to download by anyone at no cost.' (2)

I especially like the fact that he's made the design avilable free online.

Ann Makosinski

'Makosinski was 15 when she invented a flashlight powered by body heat for the Google Science Fair in 2013. In doing so, she found a way to reduce waste (single-use batteries getting dumped in landfills) and provide light to people who can't afford electricity in their homes. She also invented the eDrink, which cools your hot beverage by turning the excess heat into electricity that can charge your devices. Her inventions have gotten her worldwide recognition.' (1)

Isn't that fantastic, using body heat as an energy source, turning it into light. Reminds me of Trevor Bayliss's clockwork radio - no need for batteries or electric chargers.

source:

(1 & 2) https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/inspirational-stories/g5188/kids-who-changed-the-world/?slide=1

Post Edited (Sun 28 Jul 08:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jul 00:59

Here's a super young guy I take my hat off to:

Iqbal Masih (1983–1995)

'Iqbal was a forced child labourer in Pakistan. He was able to escape and began campaigning against child labour and for the right for children to receive an education. After escaping a second time, he joined Bonded Labour Liberation Front (BLLF) a movement dedicated to stopping child labour around the world. He helped over 3,000 children escape forced labour in Pakistan. He was shot in the head aged 12.' (1)

Accepting the Reebok Human Rights Award in 1994 he said, "For us slave children, Ehsan Ullah Khan and BLLF have done the same work that Abraham Lincoln did for the slaves of America. Today, you are free and I am free too." (2)

More about Iqbal's incredible life and legacy:

'At age four, he was put to work by his family to pay off their debts, [equivalent to about $6 they had borrowed] from a local employer who owned a carpet weaving business. In return, Iqbal was required to work as a carpet weaver until the debt was paid off. Every day, he would rise before dawn and make his way along dark country roads to the factory, where he and most of the other children were tightly bound with chains to the carpet looms to prevent escape. He would work 120 hours a week, seven days a week, with only a 30-minute break. He made 1 rupee a day for the loan, but the loan continued to increase because of his family and interest.

At the age of 10, Iqbal escaped his slavery, after learning that bonded labour was declared illegal by the Supreme Court of Pakistan. He escaped and then went to the police to report Arshad, but the police brought him back to Arshad, who told the police to tie him upside down if he tried to escape again. Iqbal escaped a second time and he attended the Bonded Labour Liberation Front (BLLF) School for former child slaves and quickly completed a four-year education in only two years...'

His legacy includes inspiring the building of a school, plus organisations and initiatives related to child slavery. (2)

What a guy.

There's a book about him, called 'The Little Hero' by Andrew Crofts. The first 79 pages are available to read free on google books.

Also a novel based on his story, called 'Iqbal', by Francesco d'Adamo of which 9 of the first 19 pages can be read on google books.

sources

(1) https://www.biographyonline.net/people/inspirational/young-people.html

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iqbal_Masih

Post Edited (Sun 28 Jul 09:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Jul 09:59

Greta Thunberg: "Instead of looking for hope, look for action. Then and only then hope will come."

Her moving speech on the need to act now on climate change, but also moving in reference to her Aspergers Syndrome, OCD, selective mutism and depression:

https://youtu.be/H2QxFM9y0tY?t=13

(NB to hear her speech click the hot-link, not the "play" icon)

I fear for her in two ways. Is she too intelligent for this world? I hope there are people who can go with her on her journey and she won't be left high and dry. And she is right but unfortunately we don't live in a world where right is might. (The opposite. Can that be changed? Perhaps that is a political question, so if anyone wants to respond to it, could you make a thread on politics forum? Otherwise this thread might get shunted and I'm trying to keep it focused on these inspiring young people. Perhaps use the politics forum to develop any political ideas or arguments that evolve from this thread?)

Post Edited (Sun 28 Jul 12:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Jul 00:57

"How Youth Can Change the World"

Dream - Dare - Determination / Just Do It.

https://youtu.be/FdM-J9Os9D8?t=415 (skip ads)

Young person Esther van Duin (UN Youth Advocate) talks about how we, as individuals, can start to get from where we are now to where we want to be.

There are a few references to politics but it's not about that, it's about how to start motivation and keep it going. A good video, relevant even for an oldie like me because I find those things difficult.

Post Edited (Mon 29 Jul 11:27)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net