DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hungary - anyone been
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:18

Just watching the run up to the Hungarian grand prix and they were going round Budapest and it looked beautiful.

I always like going somewhere new for holidays and enjoy visiting towns and cities, so wondered if anyone has been and can let me know if it's actually as nice as it looked on the telly?

Post Edited (Sun 04 Aug 13:43)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hungary - anyone been
Topic Originator: Lebowski  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:35

Wife and I went to Budapest a few years ago. Cracking city break for 2/3 nights. Lots of history and places of interest, easy strolling, plenty of good places to eat and relatively inexpensive. Definitely worth a visit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 17:43

The ruin bars are really good
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 21:48

Felt really safe and it was cheap.
I did get money stolen in the hotel room. Apparently this is really common

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Turps  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 22:08

Cracking race today. Been a great month or so in F1.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 08:35

Went at the end of November last year. Great city, reasonably cheap, great pubs - in one of them a pint was 90p although that was the cheapest I found. Beautiful architecture - the parliament is stunning. The Christmas markets were just opening up then too.

Jet2 do good city breaks from Edinburgh. We had one which left early Thursday and returned late Sunday so you got nearly 4 full days for the price of a 3 night break. Flights, bed and breakfast for 3 nights in a decent 3 star hotel (Ibis) were less than £350 each.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 09:54

"Cracking race today. Been a great month or so in F1."

Agreed, after the absolute snooze fest that was the French Grand Prix the last 3 races have all been superb. Felt a bit for Max yesterday, but was an absolute masterclass from Hamilton and Mercedes.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 11:30

Had posted in the travel thread (countries visited) its a very pleasant place to visit. Locals welcoming. Agree about the ruin bars etc mentioned above a very different experience. Lots of history and government buildings. Very scenic bridges across the river bringing together Buda and Pest.

The shoes on the danube tribute is a very harrowing experience

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 12:22

Budapest is very nice. The area about Lake Balaton is nice too in an old fashioned way, and I don't think as many people speak English there as do in the capital. It's as safe as any major European capital or tourist area. Remember to always pay in Florints rather than the Euros that a lot of places will accept.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swainy  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 22:04

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Mon 5 Aug 11:30

Had posted in the travel thread (countries visited) its a very pleasant place to visit. Locals welcoming. Agree about the ruin bars etc mentioned above a very different experience. Lots of history and government buildings. Very scenic bridges across the river bringing together Buda and Pest.

The shoes on the danube tribute is a very harrowing experience

Couldn't agree more, the shoes on the Danube was very emotional. I spent 3 nights in Budapest a few years ago before 3 nights in Vienna, one of the best holidays I've been on and very cheap to travel between the cities.

D.A are the number one!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 21:40

I really enjoyed my visit to Budapest. Effectively two cities: Buda on the West of the river and Pest on the East. Some stunning architecture, great restaurants and lots to see.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 21:53

Thanks all, so now convinced that a wee city break required!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Nippy Sweetie  
Date:   Wed 7 Aug 10:09

Budapest is huge. But people are sound, bars cheap and food good. Metro, trams all easy to use. But I repeat it is a monster of a city.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 7 Aug 10:26

As well as this they have an enormous indoor water park with surfing, etc. If you are interested.
The walk up to the citadel is nice and the park at the back of the Citadel also has a beautiful sculpture and story of the city. If you see down and outs you are in the correct place. There is no danger to you, it is just where some of the people with no home congregate. I have never had any bother in all the times I have walked in this area.
One of the main bridges was designed by a Scotsman. One of the people who tried to save the Jews of Budapest was a Scottish nurse who perished with them when they were deported.
If you wish to party at night, in summer, they close an area at the base of the chain bridge for revellers to party the night away outdoors.
If you are going for more than a weekend I recommend a trip to Siofok on the train to go to the Hungarian “sea” of Lake Balaton. This is where the city goes at the weekend in the summer months and it is beautiful. The further west you go the nicer it is.
You may also plan around the red bull race but I expect hotels and space for the race is at a premium.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sabre74  
Date:   Thu 8 Aug 21:25

went 6 years ago to see great Britain ice hockey team at the world championships and done a good bit of sightseeing. loved every minute. very clean city too

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 09:41

It looks like there might be some decent deals on the Edinburgh to Budapest route as Wizz Air have recently announced they are starting flights between the cities and Ryanair responded by announcing they are increasing the frequency of their service. Jet2 also do flights between the two so it looks like there's going to be 1 a day which will hopefully keep the flight prices relatively cheap.

I'd agree with everyone on here it's well worth a visit and it's often less than 10 mins away from the touristy bits where you can get the cheap food and drinks if you're on a budget.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 08:48

The annoying thing about direct Scotland to Budapest flights has been the flight times - arriving into Hungary at about 1 a.m. is no good to anyone really. Have they changed the schedules? We arrived into Deli station from Zagreb after a 6 hour train ride!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 10:26

I just fired a random long weekend into Skyscanner and got:

Depart Edi Thurs 31st Oct 9.25am land 13.15.

Return Bud Fri 4th Nov 11.00am land 13.00.

Flying Ryanair for £64 not including bags.

Also an outbound flight with Jet2 departing 8am and landing 12pm but its £148 return same Ryanair flight back.

Looks like it has changed and not too bad times for a weekend break.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 14:56

I spent two days in Budapest with my partner and we packed in a lot, probably walked 10-20 miles. We went to Buda Castle which can be accessed via Budapest Castle Hill Funicular. Chain Bridge at night was worth walking over and sitting on the bank of the river. Hungarian Parliament and passing Shoes on the Danube on the way back, easily missed if not looking out for them. Fisherman's Bastion, Matthias Church(incredible inside, heard the choir practice), St. Stephen's Basilica (fantastic views from the top) all relatively close to each other. Vajdahunyad Castle(adventure play park sort of thing) near to Heroes' Square (good wee history lesson). House of Terror (events after WW2 and those in power). Gellért Hill, Gellért Hill Cave(can be done on the walk up the hill I think), Citadella (Liberty Statue). Visited Szentendre on the 3rd day lots of souvenirs, traditional dress making by dye-press among other things, Christmas shop all year round.

3 years later with the wee one we visited Skanzen open air museum(goes back about 300 years of how life was with full scale buildings), Basilica of Esztergom(great views from the top, fantastic sculptures and very interesting tombs) and can take a road train over to Slovakia from here.

My partner took the wee one to the Hungarian Railway Museum this year and had a great time.

Would like to visit Memento Park and the Hungaroring GP if we go again.

[IMG]https://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 14:57

Monday 4th November??

You won't get back cos of no deal Brexit!😎
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Aug 18:23

Ha I never even clocked that :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Brucey Bonus  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 08:54

Yay fund the Orban regime, go for it. Why not stay in a Trump hotel while you’re at it?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 09:29

Fair enough he's a dobber but I don't think we should completely boycott the country.

It's going to take political pressure to sort the problems more than a tourist boycott.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net