DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tesco parking penalty.
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 16:34

Wife just got a parking penalty notice from Tesco,saying she was in the car park for more than 4 hours.Despite,showing back of the car,she is adamant that no way ,would she spend 4 hours in Tesco shopping.Any folks had similar problem.Do you think she should stump up ?Heard this is not enforceable in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tesco parking penalty.
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 16:37

Admin ,please move to off topic,ta.👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 16:47

is it an "offical" council issued ticket? If not then youll be advised here they are non-enforceable in scotland and ignore it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 16:50

No ,not council.Its high view parking.An English company.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 17:10

I think we need a sticky on parking 😂

Both types of parking ticket are legally enforceable in Scotland as shown by:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mum-blasts-parking-bullies-over-10152184

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/parking-tickets/appealing-parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land-s/

You enter an unwritten contract and agree to the terms so if you over stay then you are liable.

The company involved do have to prove you breached the terms of the parking agreement so there are loop holes like:

Were the parking bays the correct size (no idea what the correct size is before you ask)?

Did you really stay longer then the allotted time? Can they prove the entry and exit times? Did your wife return too quickly and it was two visits counted as one under the terms of the agreement or have they made a hash of it?

Was there clear signage?

If you've got genuine grounds to appeal it (e.g your good lady really wasn't there for more than 4 hours) then appeal it but if you don't and you chose to leave it then it really comes down to the parking company concerned as to how far they chase it.

Apparently theres been an increase in court cases after the result of the case I've copied in above.

My dad gubbed an incorrect ticket that was issued but you do have to engage with the company (admittedly a ball ache in itself).

That being said I know folk that have bumped them and nothing has happened.

The one thing I would say is dont make the mistake that the woman made and believe they weren't enforceable when you're deciding what to do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 17:18

Is she sure she didn't come and go twice? That used to cause issues at Hermiston Gait in Edinburgh.

Or it could be the ANPR has misread a similar number plate.

I'd request the evidence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 18:44

If you correspond with the company NEVER name the driver.....
For good advice head to the Pepipoo website; give them the unvarnished truth, again remembering not to identify the driver.... not even "my wife" state "the driver" as the parking companies have been known to trawl for identifying info.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Aug 20:08

Good advice Mr Mac.Told the wife not to say who was driving,as we both drive the car.Letter stated it was 29 June.In all honesty ,we cannot tell you who was driving if you asked me.!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: mw_parsman  
Date:   Wed 7 Aug 20:27

The Daily Record link you posted is not the same as 99% of tickets. She was using her mums parking space but they refused to follow the rules over a long period of time. She never denied it from the start.

Re-read, see she had to pay.

The other advice is contradictory since the contract is with the driver, and under Scots law you do not need to name the driver. They would have to prove who it was.
There were about a dozen of these going through Forfar (i think) and all were dropped the morning of the court date because they know they cannot win with no driver.

As many have said on here, do not interact with them, ignore is good advice.

You will see some "solicitors" advertising to help you with these cases but they are really as bad as the parking companies since you do not need one to win.

Only one other has been to court in Scotland because the sum was over 3kish. Glasgow guy parking in someone's car park, east to catch him. Again, think he settled before court.

Lets see if anyone can actually post a court case won in Scotland for this.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Aug 20:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 8 Aug 14:55

"You will see some "solicitors" advertising to help you with these cases but they are really as bad as the parking companies since you do not need one to win."

additionally you will also receive "solicitors" letters from the company threatening legal action. The solicitors address just happens to be office 1A of the same building as the parking company HQ who are based in Office 1. Handy that innit ;)

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net