DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hurricane Lorenzo
Topic Originator: Scottn4312  
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 08:57

Declared as a Cat 5 hurricane. Officially the strongest hurricane that far North/East of the Atlantic basin. Obviously by the time it hits the UK the Hurricane status will no longer apply. But it's a very clear and obvious sign of our oceans warming. Those who deny climate change sit along side flat earthers in my eyes as absolute lunatics. Will this see middle aged men in suits divert their attention from a 16 year old activist and start to face up to reality? Doubt it.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hurricane Lorenzo
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 20:51

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sun 29 Sep 21:27

2012 caused a lot more damage than 87 up here, only reason 87 is though to be worse is it hit London.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 10:31

I remember chimneys getting blown off houses in the 60s.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PeachtreePar  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 22:14

The 1968 January storm is the one my parents remember.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 22:25

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 22:45

Climate change? Back in the 70s there were hurricanes every Saturday morning, just after Swap Shop. Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's been sucked up in a tornado. Off to the land of Oz? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 10:30

Quote:

jake89, Mon 30 Sep 22:45

Climate change? Back in the 70s there were hurricanes every Saturday morning, just after Swap Shop. Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's been sucked up in a tornado. Off to the land of Oz? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Zwei Pints Bier und ein PΓ€ckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 08:49

Quote:

Scottn4312, Sun 29 Sep 08:57

Declared as a Cat 5 hurricane. Officially the strongest hurricane that far North/East of the Atlantic basin. Obviously by the time it hits the UK the Hurricane status will no longer apply. But it's a very clear and obvious sign of our oceans warming. Those who deny climate change sit along side flat earthers in my eyes as absolute lunatics. Will this see middle aged men in suits divert their attention from a 16 year old activist and start to face up to reality? Doubt it.

It would be completely foolish to dismiss claims that human activity is responsible for climate change.

Equally, records relating to weather patterns have only been reliably kept for just over a century, so it's impossible to claim with any scientific certainty that the changes we are seeing now are not just another shift in the Earth's ever-changing climate, something that we have evidence of over many millions of years. e.g. it has experienced a number of ice ages with much warmer interludes in between.

Far better, in my humble one, to assume that humans are contributing to climate change and do something about it, rather than sitting around complacently, like 7.5 billion Neros, watching our planet burn.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 09:35

Sorry GG but I'm not having that. Despite the belief that the Roman emperor fiddled while the fire raged the fact was he wasn't even in the city at the time. He actually promptly returned to head the relief efforts and allowed the homeless to stay in the imperial palaces.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 10:15

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 2 Oct 09:35

Sorry GG but I'm not having that. Despite the belief that the Roman emperor fiddled while the fire raged the fact was he wasn't even in the city at the time. He actually promptly returned to head the relief efforts and allowed the homeless to stay in the imperial palaces.

Is he an ancestor of yours, by any chance, TOWK?

I've disowned the cad. πŸ˜‰

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Β© 2021-- DAFC.net