DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Joker
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 5 Oct 15:17

Just back. What an utterly fantastic film. I have never witnessed people literally on the edge of their seat as I did at the films finale. Definitely not a superhero film as has been well documented but a film about how society treats people with mental health problems. Once Phoenix becomes the actual Joker he absolutely nails the character. I cannot recommend this film enough. Although it will certainly not be for everyone.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Joker
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 5 Oct 16:01

Have to agree, I found it phenomenal, engaging, affecting, raw heart breaking and both physically and psychologically violent....for me the best portrayal of Joker yet.
As an origin story and social commentary it works on many levels.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Oct 16:15

Spot on. I felt that Thomas Wayne was kind of based on Trump too. Hopefully they leave this film as a stand alone. No sequels please.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Oct 19:47

Quote:

General Zod, Sat 5 Oct 16:15

Spot on. I felt that Thomas Wayne was kind of based on Trump too. Hopefully they leave this film as a stand alone. No sequels please.

Agree with both your points....
Whilst I would like to see this joker in "The Killing Joke" I don't think this should be touched.
A stand alone classic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 23:04

Seen it tonight. Really dark and thought provoking. Outstanding acting. Gripping is the best way to describe it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 07:04

Film reviewers often differ, sometimes quite widely, but the ones I have seen recently have been unanimous *️⃣*️⃣*️⃣*️⃣*️⃣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 18:28

Had a weird experience watching it. On one level I thought it was probably an outstanding film and performance but at the same time, I didn't enjoy it whatsoever. Found it relentlessly grim and devoid of any entertainment. All the dancing really got on my tits after the fifth or sixth time too.

Probably to do with my state of mind more than anything, had a terrible few days. I suspect if Jennifer Lawrence took me to the Scottish cup final to see the Pars beat Rangers 6-0 my pus would still have been tripping me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 18:43

She took me for a walk on Muchty Common and managed to get me to smile.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 18:55

Has Glitter music in it- appalling decision.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 18:58

Quote:

Jbob, Mon 7 Oct 18:55

Agreed. There's dark and then there's DARK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 20:07

Yep Glitter is set for a huge payday.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 20:19

Quote:

Jbob, Mon 7 Oct 18:55

I'll be giving it a miss then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 20:58

I watched it at the Imax in Bradford it was excellent from start to finish. I was surprised to hear the glitter music but it is music. If glitter gets a big pay out I hope his victims sue him for every penny of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 22:37

Fact that glitter has music in it is a big no .What the hell were,the maker's, thinking of.?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 06:32

It has a part of one song in it. Strange I agree but not worth boycotting a film over for me personally. Plenty of scumbags in Hollywood and the music industry yet folk still lap their stuff up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 11:46

I think the Glitter music just opens a can of worms about royalties and prison.

I would like to think that a simple solution such as automatically donating royalties to a victims' charity while someone is inside would be possible.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 12:34

Quote:

General Zod, Wed 9 Oct 06:32

It has a part of one song in it. Strange I agree but not worth boycotting a film over for me personally. Plenty of scumbags in Hollywood and the music industry yet folk still lap their stuff up.

This.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 13:50

I was almost definetly not going to watch this movie at the cinema anyway but the fact that a very miniscule portion of my ticket price would end up in his pocket seals it for me. The same goes for dvd sales as well. Unfortunately I'll probably catch this movie on TV at some point and even then Glitter get his cut.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 15:52

Glitter already makes a mint from one of the major sports leagues over there playing one of his songs before every game.

I'm not a comic book film fan (which has meant virtually avoiding the cinema in the last few years) but from the above it sounds like its more a drama or psychological thriller than a comic book film - would that be accurate? I might watch it at some point if that's the case.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 16:08

I believe that used to be the case Kelty but I believe all the major franchises now refuse to play his music.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 17:53

We know that Glitter has music in it and that he is getting paid for it.

A convicted paedophile.

To turn a blind eye to it when condemning folk who haven't been convicted is hypocrisy.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: istvan kozma  
Date:   Wed 9 Oct 20:17

A truly magnificent film.

KOZMA

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Oct 18:22

Quote:

kelty_par, Wed 9 Oct 15:52

Glitter already makes a mint from one of the major sports leagues over there playing one of his songs before every game.

I'm not a comic book film fan (which has meant virtually avoiding the cinema in the last few years) but from the above it sounds like its more a drama or psychological thriller than a comic book film - would that be accurate? I might watch it at some point if that's the case.

That would be accurate imo....feels more of an Indy film imo...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Oct 18:39

Incidentally, if you are paying attention, there is context to the part of the glitter tune used.
Dark...but horribly relevant.
Whilst I baulk at the monster possibly earning money from this I do see the reason for it's inclusion.
This movie us a harrowing and unforgiving story, a mirror held up to parts of our society most would turn a blind eye to.
There is a commentary that suggests this film inspires violence.....it inspires me to try and be kind, to look at people and see them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 13 Oct 16:52

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 14 Oct 16:57

"Whilst I baulk at the monster possibly earning money from this I do see the reason for it's inclusion."

According to the Telegraph and LA Times, Glitter's song rights etc. were bought up about 20 odd years ago before the child abuse became public knowledge.

Neither he nor his estate will benefit financially from royalties from the film.

Distasteful choice of music for soundtrack neverthe less.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Oct 19:11

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 14 Oct 16:57

"Whilst I baulk at the monster possibly earning money from this I do see the reason for it's inclusion."

According to the Telegraph and LA Times, Glitter's song rights etc. were bought up about 20 odd years ago before the child abuse became public knowledge.

Neither he nor his estate will benefit financially from royalties from the film.

Distasteful choice of music for soundtrack neverthe less.

That's good to hear, distasteful.....you could look at it as a slap in the face for the old beast....no money made.
Like I said...if you watch the movie and pay attention there is a dark relevance at play.
As a long time sufferer of mental health issues I'm glad they push every button to illustrate the point.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 12:07

Confirmed....Glitter won't get a penny, this would have been considered surely.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 19:41

Ok here is my Joker review.

Life is a combination big light and shade. Everyone's experience is unique but both things are present to some degree.

Now I know that the Joker is a fictional imagining but is a depiction of a man in a modern society. That there is no light is a missed opportunity. A little light makes the dark look darker.

We all know that Joaquin Phoenix lost a huge amount of weight to play the Joker. Did we need to see his emaciated torso in virtually every scene?

Many people are suggesting that he may win an Oscar and he may well do. However whilst watching the movie I felt that I was watching someone playing the character rather than watching the actual persona of the character. That in itself may be the cleverest thing in itself because one could argue that Arthur Fleck found some mental relief from acting as the Joker.

Did I enjoy the movie I hear you ask. I was intrigued and interested throughout but ultimately I invested very little emotional energy in the character and that is a telling indictment that isn't funny.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:45

Some budding Barry Norman's on here
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net