DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Resistance is futile
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 10:25

Just read the review of a book "Don't Be Evil : The case against Big Tech" which describes the imperial power that the corporations of Silicon Valley already has, and continues to develop.
Few examples:-
Google represents 95% of all mobile searches
Whenever Facebook feels threatened by a rival, Zuckerberg simply buys it.eg Instagram, WhatsApp. Same for Google, they have bought out 120 companies in the last decade.
Small company produces surprise best seller on Amazon? Watch out, Amazon will produce a near identical version and flog it for half the price.
Patents? stuff that, employ lobbyists the small innovators can't afford to fight.
300 local papers have closed in the UK since 2007, the national ones are in a circulation death spiral.
They hoover up the academics in certain fields: Google employ most of the world's top data scientists, so it is virtually impossible to interrogate its business model.
And a whole lot more.
Also, read today that in their latest step to World domination Amazon is leasing four acres in the old naval base redevelopment for use as a lorry park..
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Resistance is futile
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 12:40

It always pays to be sus about all big business IMO.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 19:13

Aldi are the king's of copying.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 20:28

Remove your rogue apostrophe and I will agree with you about Aldi. Failure to do so will result in me greetin like a 2-year-old.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 00:24

Interesting to note that in Germany, Aldi are in essence two separate entities. There is Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd (north and south)

The company was founded by two brothers but they fell out but kept the name in both cases.

Not any real difference between them mind you. Even in Germany, Aldi and Lidl are the shops you go to when you're skint and fresh produce is sh#t. Beer very cheap though at 29 cents a tin 😊

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 06:56

The ones here are Aldi Nord, I think. Their fresh produce is better than the crap in Tesco or Asda.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 06:57

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Tue 5 Nov 20:28

Remove your rogue apostrophe and I will agree with you about Aldi. Failure to do so will result in me greetin like a 2-year-old.

Never. It was my phone what done it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 07:21

I find your phone's attitude disappointing. Is it a Samsong from Aldi?
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 13:30

"Never. It was my phone what done it."

On the subject of apostrophes.....................is an absentee considered rogue ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 18:16

Yes - an absentee can indeed be considered rogue.
I can only assume that the apostrophe from the end of greetin' was stolen by Jake's phone and used inappropriately.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net