DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Amazon Prime Scam Call
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 23 Nov 15:11

Just a wee heads up. I got a call form a man with an Indian/Pakistani accent posing as someone from Amazon, this morning. I told him I was going to hang up to check that it was a genuine call and that he could phone me back in an hour.

I'm still waiting.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/amazon-prime-renewal-scam-phone-call/

Amazon don't have my landline no. which immediately put me on my guard, but I do have Prime, so I could have fallen for it.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Amazon Prime Scam Call
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 13:16

It is a known scam call with the banks. Same with one involving some crap like £600 has been taken from your account from abroad (different story sometimes but speaking to customers its always £600) and to press option 1 to speak to someone to help.

Honestly, always said if you're not 100% sure who you're speaking to, hang up, use a different phone and call the company directly
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 14:18

A pretty unsophisticated scam at the moment is a call from someone saying your washing machine maintenance renewal is due but they can do it 'automatically' for you. When I said (truthfully) I didn't have such a contract they insisted I did. When I asked what make of machine I had they said 'Hotpoint'. When I said I didn't they said Hotpoint covered other makes as well! God loves a trier. I would have thought the chances of someone being caught by such a random call were quite remote but presumably some folk fall for it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 14:36

It's easy for folk to see a scam and wonder how folk can be so easily duped by them but there's always some that do... The elderly, the gullible, and probably switched on folk too now and then.
It's definitely good to spread the word about these scams. If it helps one person on here avoid the scam, then it's worth it.
Then however... There's facebook.
Three quarters of the scam alerts on there are made up garbage simply to get likes and shares... That really grinds my gears.
I just wish folk on Facebook would do a wee bit of searching before reposting scam warnings that are utter nonsense.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 16:33

In fairness to the Hotpoint man, Hotpoint DO cover a load of brands. Haier, Indesit, Whirlpool, Electrolux and a few others are essentially the same. Probably all made in the same Turkish factory and a different badge slapped on the front.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 17:08

I have had several emails claiming to be from PayPal to advise there was a suspicious transaction on my account - and to follow the link to verify security.

Nice try, but no cigar - it was easy to open a new webpage and go directly to my account using password - and would you believe it - no recent transactions and zero balance.

Best fun are the calls purporting to be from BT - we have a Talk Talk account.

I like to ask where they are calling from - the usual response is BT's technical location in London - so I ask how the weather is there - whatever they reply I challenge and say no, it's absolutely the opposite - of course they can't contradict me, which is bemusing since neither of us know for sure !!!

Post Edited (Sun 24 Nov 17:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsbilly  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 17:13

What a time to be alive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 19:46

''In fairness to the Hotpoint man, Hotpoint DO cover a load of brands.''

I don't think they cover Bosch although they claimed they did.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 20:21

I used to have a hot point .... but am too auld noo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 22:26

I've had a couple recently from HMRC, a recording saying I'm under investigation and if I don't speak to them by pressing 1 I'll be "arrested immediately".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 02:10

Quote:

parsfan, Sun 24 Nov 22:26

I've had a couple recently from HMRC, a recording saying I'm under investigation and if I don't speak to them by pressing 1 I'll be "arrested immediately".

Thats another I've heard of. Most are designed to make you panic and follow their instructions rather than doing the obvious and speaking to the company directly. Seen a few people who have been scammed out of multiples of £10,000. It's crazy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 09:25

I've had the HMRC one as well as the TV license has expired one and the Paypal one
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 12:22

Mrs Mario has never driven but her involvement in road accidents has prompted a number of calls.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 14:30

Used to love the microsoft calls.I'd let them go on for ages,accidentally hitting the wrong button from their instructions,and then ask them if they were microsoft certified as I was.Got a few sweary words then.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net