DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 London in May
Topic Originator: EdmontonPar  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 23:00

Ill be heading back to the motherland in may for a wedding and the other half wants a few nights in London while we are over there.

Looking for recommendations on the best areas to stay.

shell want to see the usual buck palace, big ben, tower bridge type stuff, maybe catch a west end show, and for myself possibly a trip to the emirates or any big team stadium for that matter, fixture dependant of course

what do you dot.nutters recommend

thanks
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: London in May
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 10 Feb 23:28

That's a huge question mate! Have you got any idea of rough budgets and expected levels of accommodation etc?

Any idea on maximum travel times? Do you want to be walking distance to everything or are you ok with travel time on tube/train/DLR etc?

Arsenal are expensive and availability is difficult so West Ham at the Olympic stadium may be your best bet for a ticket.

Depending on who is playing you might be better off trying to get a ticket in the away end as the EPL introduced a cap of £30 on away tickets.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 00:49

hey Londonpar,

a little travel is ok, but I don't want to do an hour each way every day,
im sure we will be coming in via Gatwick so I know that train is about an hour,

riding the tube for a bit here and there will be no problem, infact I think shell insist on it haha, I could see us doing the tube to a destination and wandering our way back from there towards the hotel.

so far I have found hotels for £230-300 for the 3 nights which ideally would be the max budget, these are closer to the euston underground, and a couple slightly further east which I think is fine as far as daily travel.

we don't need a fancy place, somewhere simple and clean, Travelodge-esque

maybe a more pertinent question would be, WHERE SHOULD I AVOID AT ALL COSTS ?

great tips about the football and the away tickets, ill check into those once we have the dates nailed down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 01:57

When I was travelling to London I always stayed at the Tavistock Hotel. Done a great breakfast and if you knew me breakfast is important when I book hotels😁.
There are 2 tube stations within a few minutes walk. 1 being Russell Square and I can't mind the other but it was directly across from the hotel through a small park or so.
Only thing I would say is make sure the lift in Russell Square station works, on 1 occasion I was down the lift was goosed. Never have I climbed so many stairs since.
As I say it's a decent hotel or was anyway and not too badly priced as I recall.
Beijing within a few minutes walk to 2 tube stations is a bonus.
Enjoy your trip.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 08:21

If you're using the tube don't buy an oyster card.
Use your debit card. There is a daily cap on what you pay off you are using a debit card. Never buy a paper ticket. Most expensive way to travel.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 09:31

If you dont mind a little bit of travel you tend to get a bit more for your money in Grenwich but if you book early enough you can get some decent offers in more central Travelodges and Premier Inns.

I put in a random 3 night stay in May over the weekend and the Premier Inn at Aldgate was working out at £215 for the 3 nights:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d7193214-Reviews-Premier_Inn_London_City_Aldgate-London_England.html

It's cheaper to book on the Premier Inn site. Whitechapel and Shadwell historically didnt have the best of reputations but London is a really safe city on the whole and I've stayed in that one before with my girlfriend and it was absolutely fine.

There's another one 5 mins down the road at Tower Hill which is a bit more expensive at £261 for the 3 nights but its possibly slightly nicer:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d644468-Reviews-Premier_Inn_London_City_Tower_Hill_Hotel-London_England.html

Stayed in there too and it's a decent enough hotel that I'd stay in again. You're walking distance to some good attractions. St Katherine's docks has places to eat and drink and is also close by and the transport links are good round about.

The Bankside Premier Inn is around £300. Not stayed in this one but the location is excellent:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d276502-Reviews-Premier_Inn_London_Southwark_Bankside_Hotel-London_England.html

If you get a nice weekend weather wise the south bank is a brilliant walk and there are some really good pubs where you can sit and look out over the river as well as being right next to Borough Market. Its touristy round there though so I dont know if noise would be a factor. I'd recommend the Anchor and the The Olde Thameside Inn round there.

I've stayed in quite a few of the Premier Inns and Travelodges round central London and I'd recommend the ones that are newer (you can normally tell from the photos) as they too tend to be in better condition.

All the Travelodges and Premier Inns around Greenwich are coming up at about £70 a night and the Greenwich Double Tree Hilton is £90 a night. I'd be tempted to take the central location Premier Inns for the money but I've stayed at the Double Tree and it's a 4 star slightly nicer hotel so that might be an option although I'm not sure theres really that much difference to make the extra travel time worth it. Quite a bit to see and do in Grenwich although the hotel is closer to Deptford than the village so not quite as nice round the hotel.

For getting around I'd recommend downloading the City Mapper app. It has all the dlr, bus, train and underground routes and is one of the clearest apps to use.

Always use Uber and avoid black cabs wherever possible. They are absolute rip off merchants and are invariably racist dobbers.

For tickets for shows it's worth having a look at:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/london-theatre/

It's not really my thing so can't give you too much advice on shows tbh.

Probably worth keeping an eye on Groupon, Living Social and ItsOn for deals around London. They normally do eating drinking and tickets and occasionally hotels and you often get a good deal on them.

If you're into rugby at all, the Army v Navy is on 2 May and is a good day out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 09:34

Quote:

moviescot, Tue 11 Feb 08:21

Use your debit card. There is a daily cap on what you pay off you are using a debit card. Never buy a paper ticket. Most expensive way to travel.

This is a great point and isnt limited to the tube, you can switch onto the bus, DLR and overground services around London. It should be calculated automatically and you can find more details on line.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Feb 09:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 14:16

Quote:

londonparsfan, Tue 11 Feb 09:34

Quote:

moviescot, Tue 11 Feb 08:21

This is a great point and isnt limited to the tube, you can switch onto the bus, DLR and overground services around London. It should be calculated automatically and you can find more details on line.

We found this out by accident. It saved us a fortune.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 16:54

great tips guys, much appreciated
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 11 Feb 17:06

There is a Travelodge very close to Kings Cross station ,I stayed in it several years ago and it was fine. The general area around KX has also been improved over the last 5 years. There are several tube lines that can be accessed from KX.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net