DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Face Masks
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 18:24

There's a lot of confusion as to whether the general public should wear face masks or not when they leave their homes. In Asia, TV pictures show an almost 100% uptake, in Europe uptake is increasing, with some countries declaring it compulsory.

In Scotland, very few people appear to wear them in public, due at least in part, to the fact that they're not widely available, but also because professional advice is that there is no benefit for those who are not infected with Covid-19. In addition, these masks can only be used once, for a maximum of 8 hours and great care must be taken when they are removed.

Everyone is agreed that facial masks are much more likely to prevent others from becoming infected than protecting the wearer. It would be interesting to know whether those who choose to wear them are doing so for altruistic reasons, or because they believe that the masks will somehow protect them from the virus and to hell with what medical experts and scientists tell us.

As an aside, there was an NHS employee, I think, on RS this afternoon, who said that a box of 50 face masks, which before the outbreak were selling for approx £6, now cost £75. Disgusting profiteering.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Face Masks
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 18:30

Whoever charged £75 should have been wearing a mask!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 19:33

I assumed the professional advise about not bothering with a mask was down to not wanting joe public panic buying all the ones going so nhs workers and those who need them etc might run short.

Once they have a decent enough supply and we’re well past the peak I expect the advice will change to wear them when out.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 19:47

I'm going to get one of those plague doctor masks and walk about with that on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 20:26

We are not wearing them in Scotland G.G. because Engerland have purloined them :(
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 20:58

On TV earlier I saw a photo of a guy in Tesco's. He had a mask and gloves on when he entered the shop. Then someone text him. He took the mask off then pulled one glove off WITH HIS TEETH so he could reply to the text.

Masks and gloves are wasted on the numbskull majority in this country

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 21:02

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 14 Apr 20:58

On TV earlier I saw a photo of a guy in Tesco's. He had a mask and gloves on when he entered the shop. Then someone text him. He took the mask off then pulled one glove off WITH HIS TEETH so he could reply to the text.

What chance have you got when people in Tesco can’t follow big blue arrows in the aisles ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Tue 14 Apr 21:02)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 21:16

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 14 Apr 21:02

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 14 Apr 20:58

What chance have you got when people in Tesco can’t follow big blue arrows in the aisles ?

Maybe a green version for the other half?

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 21:19

Lady wearing mask and gloves in my local Aldi 3 weeks ago took great delight informing Valdek the checkout operator that she is just back from Spain visiting her Mum and Dad who have tested positive ???
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 21:56

People in Asia have been wearing mask for years, especially when travelling abroad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 22:40

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 14 Apr 21:19

Lady wearing mask and gloves in my local Aldi 3 weeks ago took great delight informing Valdek the checkout operator that she is just back from Spain visiting her Mum and Dad who have tested positive ???

Quite possibly the same woman that was in ALDI last week, gloves and mask on but seemed to think that because of this she was either invisible or the same rules didn't apply to her, as she dumped her basket at the checkout then ran back and forward to it, getting all the stuff she had missed while invading everyone else's personal space
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 14 Apr 22:48

It's worrying how dense some people are.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Apr 06:23

My question remains - do you think the majority of ordinary people, wearing a face mask in public, do so primarily to protect themselves from possible contamination, or because they may be positive but asymptomatic and want to protect others?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Wed 15 Apr 08:49

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 15 Apr 06:23

My question remains - do you think the majority of ordinary people, wearing a face mask in public, do so primarily to protect themselves from possible contamination, or because they may be positive but asymptomatic and want to protect others?

Out here they do do protect themselves from smog mainly. Masks are an everyday occurrence long before cóvid.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Apr 09:44

My thoughts are to protect themselves G.G.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 13:15

Apparently the Mayor of London is now an expert

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 14:22

Considering London is the UKs epicenter of the outbreak and it's probably got more people travelling around it than the whole of Scotland it probably does make sense to try and limit the spread of the virus.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 15:00

Quote:

londonparsfan, Fri 17 Apr 14:22

Considering London is the UKs epicenter of the outbreak and it's probably got more people travelling around it than the whole of Scotland it probably does make sense to try and limit the spread of the virus.

I've never made a habit of sticking up for the Tories, but the mayor did specify he was talking about those in confined spaces on public transport. It's hard to argue against that - there might be an issue if key workers who have to use public transport to get to work but can't get masks.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 15:09

You'd really hope that supplies would be procured if they go down that route but you've seen how effective the Government have been so far..
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net