DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ignorance of people more apparent.
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 08:42

I've been walking to my work for the last 4 weeks or so and I've noticed how ignorant the majority of people are.

Most don't even look at you, far less give you a nod or a smile or a good morning.

You definitely get more respect and courtesy in countries such as France, Italy and Spain

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Thu 16 Apr 08:43)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ignorance of people more apparent.
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 09:55

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 16 Apr 08:42

I've been walking to my work for the last 4 weeks or so and I've noticed how ignorant the majority of people are.

Most don't even look at you, far less give you a nod or a smile or a good morning.

You definitely get more respect and courtesy in countries such as France, Italy and Spain

That's funny. I walk the dog every morning and people, although staying their distance, have never been nicer. Always get a good morning or what a lovely dog.

Maybe you try saying good morning to people.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 10:39

In my experience if you make eye contact with people you usually get a nod or a smile, if not a word of greeting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 10:56

Most folk around here say hi or some form of recognition but there are also others since the lockdown began will not make eye contact in case they catch something me thinks
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 12:47

Moviescot - I had a dog for ten years and it was a mixed response from dog walkers too.

It must be me?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 13:44

If you had a nutter like my dog most people talk to you.Admittedly he is the friendliest nutter you'd ever meet,9 month old german shepherd who loves every dog and person he sees.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 14:19

My dog as well donj
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 15:36

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 16 Apr 12:47

Moviescot - I had a dog for ten years and it was a mixed response from dog walkers too.

It must be me?

Well in my case deffo the dog. Before lockdown people with dogs would say hello it stop for a chat. Note it's everyone. Maybe we're all just a bit more lonely.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 15:41

I always find that the responses are based upon the time of day. If you are walking early morning then you will definitely get a hello. This lasts to around 9~10 when responses are more variable. After that, then i would say the majority of people would not acknowledge any communication.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 16:19

I think that people are simply intimidated when they realise they're in the presence of a legend, even if he is just a legend walking the dug...

Leave the brown envelope in the usual spot please, Raymond, cheers...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 16:46

Quote:

parsmad68, Thu 16 Apr 15:41

I always find that the responses are based upon the time of day. If you are walking early morning then you will definitely get a hello. This lasts to around 9~10 when responses are more variable. After that, then i would say the majority of people would not acknowledge any communication.

Again I disagree. People have been much more pleasant regardless of the time I walk the 🐕
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 17:52

I've found the opposite. I've never spoken to so many random folk. Always found Dunfermline (and Fife in general) to be filled with folk who'll say hello if you're walking along the same country path. Complete contrast to Edinburgh where one of my neighbours used to pretend he didn't know me when we were both waiting at the bus stop each morning. Gave up saying hello.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PostmanPar  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 18:26

I would agree with raymie. I actually said to the wife the other day about it. Out walking the dog I always try to say alright or hi to whoever I go past, although some still seem fine saying hi I’ve witnessed folk of all ages look at me with almost disgust the fact I’d even try to speak to them. I even heard one child say to her mum”why is that man speaking to us, I thought we weren’t allowed to speak to other people”. Wtf??!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 18:28

Tbf Raymondo every time I’ve clocked ye it’s no been yer dug or yer face I’ve been enchanted with

😉

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 18:31

I've lived in Embra for over 50 years and found the folk as friendly as anywhere else. There are exceptions of course.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 18:43

Quote:

buffy, Thu 16 Apr 18:28

Tbf Raymondo every time I’ve clocked ye it’s no been yer dug or yer face I’ve been enchanted with

😉

Ooooerrr Mrs! Does he have big feet?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 19:10

Hehehehe ^^^
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 19:11

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 16 Apr 18:31

I've lived in Embra for over 50 years and found the folk as friendly as anywhere else. There are exceptions of course.

May have been me!

Wouldn't say Edinburgh was unfriendly but my other half (life long Edinbugger) has said she finds Dunfermline folk far nicer and I'd agree. Suppose it maybe depends where you live in each place. That said, the father-in-law has said the same when over walking the dogs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PostmanPar  
Date:   Thu 16 Apr 19:21

I’m bathgate now so that prob says it all 😂. To be fair when I used to stay in Dunfermline I’d say it did seem to be more pleasant!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 08:14

You should try driving at the speed limit around the town!

I remember when I decided be more aware of my speed, the first day... 2 mins in, i was driving down Garvock Hill in the morning (a residential street at school time with primary kids running down on both sides to school) sitting at the speed limit 20mph... and had a guy right up my erse, hands waving about, almost tried to undertake me when I moved out to go over the central speed bump... And I get something like that almost everyday when driving at the speed limit around the town
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 08:41

Try driving now, some folk think we are in a Mad Max dystopia already and are driving accordingly. I suspect some people actually need other road users to be out and about to keep a lid on their inability to control their own speed.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 08:47

Quote:

average white par, Thu 16 Apr 16:19

I think that people are simply intimidated when they realise they're in the presence of a legend, even if he is just a legend walking the dug...

Leave the brown envelope in the usual spot please, Raymond, cheers...

Remember you will need to leave the bag for a few days to make sure its virus free

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 08:47

Quote:

buffy, Thu 16 Apr 18:28

😉

I recommend the use of cricket boxes when out and about

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 15:11

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 16 Apr 10:39

In my experience if you make eye contact with people you usually get a nod or a smile, if not a word of greeting.

Wee Eck nails it for me. I walked the 1.5 miles to my work most mornings for over 20 years. I used to meet the same people travelling in the opposite direction. Initially, most avoided eye contact. I'd wish them a good morning in any case. After a while, everybody would make eye contact, smile and return the greeting.

It takes all kinds though. Just now, when Mrs Riva and I go out for our daily walk, many people put their heads down and avoid eye contact. I think many are just scared. We've both also noticed that older people are far more likely to exchange a smile and a greeting.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 17 Apr 18:59

Quote:

DBP, Fri 17 Apr 08:14

You should try driving at the speed limit around the town!

I remember when I decided be more aware of my speed, the first day... 2 mins in, i was driving down Garvock Hill in the morning (a residential street at school time with primary kids running down on both sides to school) sitting at the speed limit 20mph... and had a guy right up my erse, hands waving about, almost tried to undertake me when I moved out to go over the central speed bump... And I get something like that almost everyday when driving at the speed limit around the town

Couple of weeks ago I was coming back along Linburn Road. Must have been around half nine at night. Road dead and I was toddling along a touch of thirty. This genius comes hooring up behind me and overtakes at Luca's then turns up by the dentist into Abbeyview. Overtook for the sake of saving about 10 seconds on their journey. Didn't take kindly to me flashing my lights at their stupidity. White Corsa. Says it all.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net