DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Litter
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 5 May 22:04

I like to exercise in quiet places where possible. Part of my route today took me along a minor road which connects the tiny hamlet of Forest Mill to Saline. I was astounded at the volume of assorted litter on both sides of the road for over half a mile as I left Forest Mill behind.

I'm well used to seeing litter on some of the more popular routes, deplorable though that undoubtedly is, I can rationalise it. Lots of (thoughtless, selfish) people equates to lots of litter, but a minor road leaving a hamlet of around 20 houses, hoaching with cans, glass and plastic bottles, plastic bags etc. Who's making such a special effort to go out off their way to chuck some litter out of their car window? I hardly think it's the the folk who live in the hamlet. Lucky if there are more than 20-30 houses.

I then took a right on a track which leads onto the Dunfermline -Alloa cycleway and saw some bags of rubbish dumped at the side of the road. Someone travelled a long way to spoil a nice bit of countryside. Would it not have been easier to take it to the dump at Wellwood? If it's closed they could have left it at the gate - not ideal but at least it would get sorted at some stage and not spoil a picturesque spot.

Edited cos I don't know my left from right. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Wed 06 May 05:49)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Litter
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 5 May 23:37

Loads of fly tipping going on. Folk will be clearing the house right now and the dumps are all closed. Also fewer bin collections recently. Finally, the selfish folk are stuck in their own back yard so are crapping in their own back garden.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 6 May 00:48

Not saying this is always the case by any means, but when there's a disproportionate amount of rubbish in one location, it may be down to a (normally green!) bin being blown over, or gulls/other wildlife bursting bin bags. You definitely notice it more when out for a walk rather than driving though.

We had a similar conversation a couple of days ago walking through Calais Woods in Duloch. the number of plastic bags left by dog walkers baffles me. Doesn't make sense to me when they are clearly walking their dog there as it is a pleasant route! If they can't clean up after it... etc etc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 6 May 06:03

I go cycling and it is so distressing to see the litter and see how humans can live and dump the amount of rubbish by country roadsides. I do agree the rubbish is blown from certain areas but what I see by the roadside is distressing and much more than is coming from peoples bins.
Out for a walk in the countryside this week the farmers field had at least 10 plastic bottles ploughed into the land.

If you look at Singapore, their laws in litter make it so harsh if you are caught, it has changed their natural behaviour to make sure they don’t do it.
Given that our laws are weak and people are naturally lazy then this will happen.
It will only get worse with this pandemic also as budgets to local councils will drastically be cut.

Oh I am a happy soul this morning 🙃
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 6 May 07:58

Quote:

Jjonjord, Wed 6 May 00:48

Not saying this is always the case by any means, but when there's a disproportionate amount of rubbish in one location, it may be down to a (normally green!) bin being blown over, or gulls/other wildlife bursting bin bags. You definitely notice it more when out for a walk rather than driving though.

We had a similar conversation a couple of days ago walking through Calais Woods in Duloch. the number of plastic bags left by dog walkers baffles me. Doesn't make sense to me when they are clearly walking their dog there as it is a pleasant route! If they can't clean up after it... etc etc

It must have been a particularly gusty gale to blow an assortment of glass bottles as much as half a mile from the nearest house in Forest Mill, JJ.

As for the dog bags, I can't understand why any dog owner would go to the trouble of bagging the **** and then throwing it away. On the flip side, I saw a couple walking their dog, stopping to pick up and bag someone else's mess. Above and beyond the call of duty, imo.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 6 May 08:01

Walker's seemingly do it so they don't need to carry the poo round the walk. They claim they pick them up on the way back...clearly the majority don't do this.

Shame if the Calais wood is in a state. Lots of work has been done up there to make it a nice walk. It's a shame if people are ruining it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 6 May 08:36

Litter is a pet hate of mine G.G.

The verges on the Country roads are a disgrace around my local. Drinks bottles, cans, coffee cups crisp packets, wrappers etc. All chucked from cars

I was sitting behind a young couple with kids in the back seat at traffic lights when the drivers window opened and a load of paper was chucked onto the road
I got out the car picked it up knocked on his window and said to him whats all that about ..take it home and bin it

I got back in the car ..the lights turned to green and as he sped off chucked it back out the window ..Grrrrrrr
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 6 May 09:06

We've done a fair bit of walking recently - the amount of litter just discarded for immediate convenience is shocking.

I'd have the government stick 5p - no, make it 10p, on every juice bottle and can etc. to fund the employment of an army of litter collectors.

There is also a mountain of "litter" discarded in the proper manner that is a concern.

I buy Bic Flex 4 disposable razors and snip off the heads to us as replacement cartridges on a better model of handle - the decapited disposables go in to the bin.

Just more for the plastic mountain.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Wed 6 May 09:58

I know that Forest Mill road well and its awful, there is a particular site which is clearly a decorator/builder or something that has dumped lots of paint tins and sheets and other crap.

The Glentarkie road further north had around 3 washing machines and a couple of ovens on the side of the road.

Its one of those unfathomable things, the thought never even crosses my mind to just drop a piece of litter never mind go out of my way to haul a kitchen appliance into the countryside.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 6 May 11:06

Quote:

Stoo, Wed 06 May 09:58

I know that Forest Mill road well and its awful, there is a particular site which is clearly a decorator/builder or something that has dumped lots of paint tins and sheets and other crap.

The Glentarkie road further north had around 3 washing machines and a couple of ovens on the side of the road.

Its one of those unfathomable things, the thought never even crosses my mind to just drop a piece of litter never mind go out of my way to haul a kitchen appliance into the countryside.

Saw that as well on my rides on my bike. A sticker was placed on it stating under investigation and I do hope they trace its serial number, but cannot see anything coming from it. I hope I am wrong but it will probably be a slap in the wrist and don’t do it again piece of nonsense
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 6 May 11:10

It's been very noticeable along quiet roads when I've been out on the bike recently. I don't get it either. The bits of the Fife Coastal Path I've walked along still seem OK though.

With the bags of dog ****, when I worked in Dunfermline I sometimes walked up the path through the trees beside Pitreavie playing fields at lunch time and I often used to do a double take when seeing these lovely wee bags left hanging from tree branches.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Wed 6 May 11:20

Seeing bagged up ***** lying around or hanging from bushes/trees is a serious bug bear of mine. It's absolutely disgusting.

I see loads in Calais wood but the worst I've ever seen was Devilla the last time I was there. It was everywhere in there, probably due to a lack of bins. That's still absolutely no excuse for dumping it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 6 May 12:00

Two ovens and a fridge freezer dumped into our skip at work. Looked like a pikey was eyeing something up in the skip, so may take them away?

Just noticed an internal door dumped as well.

Wankers

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 6 May 13:44

I look for the positives.
If there are enough little plastic bags hanging on a tree, and they are all different colours, it makes a wonderful dog-sh*te Christmas tree and puts me in a festive mood.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 6 May 15:52

A microwave oven has been added to our skip today - thanks

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 6 May 16:19

been out running every day of lockdown and trying to mix up routes etc to avoid boredom. There is a little stretch at bottom of Carnegie Avenue from Maclean Gate to the Entrance to Largo house which has about 10 pairs of disposable gloves dumped. People that concerned they wear them in the first place then just throw them away onto pathways.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net