DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Homeschooling
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 7 May 12:35

Just wondering how many folks with primary aged kids are getting anything of substance from their kids primary?

My sons school has been shocking.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Homeschooling
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Thu 7 May 12:55

We've had work for the kids every day, the balance is hit and miss in terms if quantity. Some days far too much, especially as both my wife and I are both still working full time as our roles are in home care and the Railway.

This is new for everyone and they can't assume everyone has access to all sorts of resources. Anything just now is really only going to keep them ticking over; at primary which my kids are anyway.

Lots of free online resources that can be used including "games" where they are actually doing maths etc and our school are big on pushing these to top up the work.

National Parent Forum Scotland have the following info:

https://www.npfs.org.uk/2020/04/20/term-4-guidance-for-parents/

Edited because I forgot to say if you have concerns contact the school; they will pick up an email, although maybe not as quick as usual.

Post Edited (Thu 07 May 13:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 7 May 13:02

Carnegie has been sending a big email every Friday, last weeks was 18 pdf files probably about 70 pages.
Woodmill S2 & S3 have had daily work posted.

Probably better amount of work than they get when in school!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 7 May 13:34

I think there could be more interaction and communication. High school I understand that's a tough one, but primaries I dont get. I hear some are having a 1hr webinar each morning. Whereas at my kids school, the headmistress could be in a concrete bunker in Shetland for all we know.

It feels like a few simple things would make the kids still feel connected, but it's just not happening.

My original feeling, as you say, was people do not have the resources, but everything is coming over Glow and MS Teams.

Post Edited (Thu 07 May 13:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 7 May 13:42

Got a 7 year old, a 4 year old and 1 year. Been hit and miss at best - and getting harder and harder to get them to focus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 7 May 14:57

My daughter has been diligently doing all the work posted daily by her teachers. S1 in Aberdeen. Each teacher posts in time for what would be her normal timetable.

I think this is ok but before the Easter break I asked if they could have more video chats with pupils. Some teachers were having a weekly catch up but most were not. I am not sure why it's not possible for teachers to host a 15 min chat on Google meet each day but it's not happening

All pupils who did not have access to laptop or Chromebook were offered one on loan from the school.

My daughter says that less than half her class are actually doing the work. We are a reasonably well off area with good broadband so on its disappointing that pupils are not participating
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 8 May 08:21

Duloch very good. Only criticism would be that the work comes daily whereas for me weekly would be easier so I could get the printed stuff printed off ready to go. Few parents have complained that they don't have printers. Little the school can do.

Duloch Nursery has been fantastic too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 8 May 08:36

I've got a child at Duloch Primary and one in their nursery too - and would echo what Jake said. I think they've done really well throughout this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Fri 8 May 16:42

Quote:

jake89, Fri 8 May 08:21

Duloch very good. Only criticism would be that the work comes daily whereas for me weekly would be easier so I could get the printed stuff printed off ready to go. Few parents have complained that they don't have printers. Little the school can do.

Duloch Nursery has been fantastic too.

We do not use a printer although we have one. It's all done on Google classroom. All online.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 8 May 18:52

Online wouldn't work for the printing stuff my one's doing. It's writing exercises. Suppose a parent could write it out if need be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Fri 8 May 20:46

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net