DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 worm tablets
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 28 May 09:22

My chocolate lab will not eat her worm tablets I have tried various disguises by wrapping them in cheese sausage etc but she spits them out
Any suggestions ??
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: worm tablets
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 28 May 09:57

Get the tablets down to powder form and mix in food.
Could be difficult but put them in a freezer bag and hit with a hammer to break them if need be.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 May 10:10

Will give that a try sadindiefreak I have tried breaking them into her food but she will not eat them
Will try the powder version Thanks
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 28 May 12:44

Our lab is on couple tablets twice a day and periodical worm, tick tablets etc and I’m afraid the only thing that works is the lion tamer technique of pulling his jaws apart while pointing his nose up and pushing it down as far as possible into his mouth and holding jaws shut while rubbing under his jaw until he swallows. Then rewarded with a favourite treat. Reassuring him and comforting all the time.

He hates it but it’s part of his routine and he now comes and asks for before dejectedly coming over when I get his pills - then taking enormous delight over the treat at the end.

Btw it’s tick season - we’ve found and removed 2 in 2 days now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 28 May 12:46

^^^^
This.
And plenty patience.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 28 May 13:15

Can't comment on dogs, but our old vet used a wee pill grabber thing to stick down our cats neck and release. Feel your pain as we just attempted the same with our current cat. Put it in his food and he basically rejected it. Little git.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 28 May 13:51

We have to grind down tablets and mix it in with her food - as long as we mix some cheese in with it as well, she’ll eat anything.

We had a similar issue with ticks about a month ago - bought a wee gizmo from Pets@home (click and collect only as they don’t keep them in store) - it just attaches to her collar and no issues since.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 May 16:02

We are lucky as coming up for 4 she has only had one tick and it was on her head so we did the smother it with vaseline thing and it was gone the next day
Our last dog a spaniel collie cross had loads of ticks I remember my son aged 7 had one on his head and one of my pals held a lit cigarette to it and it soon backed back out
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 28 May 17:05

"Our lab is on couple tablets twice a day and periodical worm, tick tablets etc and I’m afraid the only thing that works is the lion tamer technique of pulling his jaws apart while pointing his nose up and pushing it down as far as possible into his mouth and holding jaws shut while rubbing under his jaw until he swallows. Then rewarded with a favourite treat. Reassuring him and comforting all the time.

He hates it but it’s part of his routine and he now comes and asks for before dejectedly coming over when I get his pills - then taking enormous delight over the treat at the end."

I'd agree with that. Had to do the same with my border collie.

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 28 May 17:05

I wouldnt dream of trying to give my cat a tablet. Not without de-clawing her first. I use the tube of liquid on the back of her neck. Much easier does worms fleas tics all in one.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net