DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Phone Call Mystery
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:51

My house phone rang when I was in the garden earlier today. I didn't get to it in time. The caller didn't leave a message, so I dialled 1471 and wrote down the number. It was from a UK mobile phone.

I called the number but it wasn't recognised, so I checked using 1471. I had written it correctly. Tried dialling twice more - still not recognised. Not sure how that can be. My instinct is that there was some kind of fraudster making the call.

Anyone got any ideas?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Phone Call Mystery
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:57

Google "who called me"
Type in the number and if its a scam it should be in the system

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:58

What were the first 6 digits of the number?

Could have just been a robot caller trying to generate outbound calls and spoofing the originating number to make it look legit. There are a bunch of ranges which are not allocated and it is not unknown for these people to unwittingly pick numbers from those ranges making it clear something dodgy is going on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 16:59

You do need to be careful calling back. There numbers that you will end up being charged for calling back....often used on single ring scams (wangiri)

Post Edited (Wed 03 Jun 17:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 17:04

Also...it is not unknown for dodgy folk to play a false message (including ring tone) to make you think that the call hasnt connected. If you give me full number I'll see what I can discern for you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 17:48

If it was important, they would have left a message or tried again.
Not a good idea to phone a number back

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 18:40

Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend like | nolike Like: 1
Date: Wed 3 Jun 17:48

If it was important, they would have left a message or tried again.
Not a good idea to phone a number back

Couldn't agree more-used to work in a bank and a lot of fraud stemmed from exactly this scenario.Keep your eyes peeled on next bill to make sure you haven't been charged for the calls.Cyber crime is at an all time high just now so would be especially vigilant.If you have a message facility and they haven't used it ask yourself why(either it isn't important or they refuse to) Googling the number before doing anything is always a good call.

Some of the previously known suspicious looking numbers are listed here although this is quite dated and they are no doubt changing all the time.

<https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/missed-call-scams#:~:text=What%20can%20you%20do%3F,voicemail%20or%20call%20back%20later.>

It's a sad state of affairs when we even have to concerned about things like this but that's the world we live in sadly.

I'm sure all will be fine but definitely worth monitoring :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 18:43

Quote:

ipswichpar, Wed 3 Jun 17:04

Also...it is not unknown for dodgy folk to play a false message (including ring tone) to make you think that the call hasnt connected. If you give me full number I'll see what I can discern for you.

07974 736 648 Ipswich. Thanks in advance.

Raymie, I thought it might be a friend or relative. I certainly wouldn't bother in future. I just couldn't understand why the number would be released and then not be a genuine recognised one.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 19:10

It is in a range allocated to EE......but it could have been ported. If there is any funny business it will likely be related to information capture from any call that's established....not a ring back fraud. Definitely worth checking on your usage to confirm if you can. There are a bunch of unscrupulous folk who know if they do lots of microfraud they are much more likely to get away with it that a couple of big frauds of same aggregate value.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 19:14

Oh...dont mean to worry you....i think risk is extremely low. And even if something has happened impact will be 15p or something.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 19:15

15p is still a lot of money to G.G. ipswichpar :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 19:32

I heard he dropped a pound one day and it hit him on the back of the head!

One final point GG. By calling back you number *might* have been flagged up as someone worth targeting...in the coming days or weeks you might get more calls. And you might be enticed in to calling numbers beginning with 08, 09, 118 or 07...dont, obviously. Any questions please feel free to ask.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 3 Jun 22:40

Had so many scam calls over recent years that if my house phone or mobile rings I tend to ignore them. If I recognise the number or it is displayed as someone in my contacts I answer it of course.

On missed calls if it is important they always leave a message so not worried when I miss a call and 95% of the time there is no message.

My old maw used to burst a gut trying to get to the phone only to wonder why there was no one on the end when she picked up and would frantically dial 1571 as if it was the most important thing in the world.

Used to tell her if it was important they would leave a message.....to no avail.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 07:20

I don't even plug my house phone in. I only get three types of calls on it.

Most popular is incorrectly dialed calls for the jean mackie centre (who all seem to tell me it is, even though I'm standing in my own hallway telling them it isn't)

Second is auto dialers, most of which don't actually do anything when you pick up

Third most popular is unwanted sales calls

So based on that, i unplugged the house phone.

If I get an unwanted sales/scam call on my mobile, I instantly add it to a blocked number contact (so they are added over to any new phone as a contact). In fact, never really speak on my mobile, mostly its texts or what's app messages
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AbuBarrie  
Date:   Thu 4 Jun 10:43

saynoto0870.com is a web site that can check any number you want. It tells if number is legitimate or not. Feedback from others who have problems from numbers will help you decide if genuine or not.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net