DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Laptop HDD/SSD Advice
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 17:40

I've been playing about with an old laptop that stopped working a while back. It gave up the ghost at a time that I had less and less use for it, but now trying to get it back up and running. It currently won't start other than a "No bootable device found" message. Tried a few things through YouTube videos on the BIOS menu which didn't work. Tried re-seating the hard drive, but to no avail. Tested the hard drive and it came back with one fault, which seems to indicate a new drive is the best way forward...

I know very little about SSDs, other than they are quicker but more expensive than HDD. The current hard drive is 500GB, and probably about half full, so would be going to 1TB at most. Any recommendations on where to start beyond that?

Also, how would I go about transferring everything (including operating system) from the old drive to the new drive? Can they both be plugged into a working laptop through a docking station and files transferred across?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Laptop HDD/SSD Advice
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 18:23

You'd need to reinstall the operating system. It may be the recovery data is held on the hard drive. If that's the case you should be able to download Windows from the Microsoft website and use the serial on your laptop.

You can buy adaptors to connect your old HDD via USB. Just check that the new SSD is the same connection as the old HDD.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 18:33

I bought an sdd for my laptop that was a bit older and it transformed it.
If it doesn't work then your sdd doesn't need to go to waste as you can get a usb caddy for under a tenner, so it can become a super fast USB external storage
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 22:32

Ssd all the way. Even an older one with slower read write rates will transform an older machine.

Recovery might be tricky if the existing drive is corrupt
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 5 Jun 22:50

Don't skimp on getting a good model, would recommend a Samung Evo from personal experience.

Put on a fresh install of Windows and then get something like this to salvage any data from the current drive once you are back up and running.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKORD%C2%AE-Drive-Reader-Convertor-Adapter/dp/B00EQ7UEK4/ref=asc_df_B00EQ7UEK4

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Fri 05 Jun 22:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 6 Jun 20:45

Ssd and their new NVME format are probably the best upgrade you can give to a pc. The speed difference is pretty astonishing
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 08:43

Cheers for all the advice!

Quote:

jake89, Fri 5 Jun 18:23

You'd need to reinstall the operating system. It may be the recovery data is held on the hard drive. If that's the case you should be able to download Windows from the Microsoft website and use the serial on your laptop.

The laptop is setup with Windows 7, which I reckon was the last version of Windows I actually liked haha. Would it have to be windows 7 that I put back on it? I assume the product key would only work with Windows 7?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 10:57

You will be able to upgrade for free
Windows 10 is alright to use and as has been said, you will notice a big difference using SSD

The lads on this thread will keep you right.

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 07 Jun 10:57)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 14:14

SSD is the best form of hard drive at the moment. Will speed up your pc/laptop a lot.
The only downside with SSD is that at 75% capacity they slow down dramatically. They do also have a limited number of writes which can reduce their lifespan.

Other than this they are very good.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Jun 23:54

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 7 Jun 10:57

You will be able to upgrade for free
Windows 10 is alright to use and as has been said, you will notice a big difference using SSD

Ideal. Bought a SSD from Amazon today so should be up and running by the end of the week with any luck. Cheers folks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 9 Jun 00:07

Crucial.com scan tool is good. Tells you what you have and what you can replace it with.

Just before lockdown started (and it sounded like the kids might soon be studying at home) I dug out an old laptop I had lying about that was terribly slow and replaced the disk with an SSD and it's been amazing the difference.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net