DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Help - stuck on a hydraulic / mechanical question
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 21:20

so long story short, i'm trying to make a rally sim set up for my son.

the price of buying a robust sim rally/racing handbrake that connects directly to the computer is ridiculous ...however there are loads of pages on the internet showing how to make your own one. so i decided it could be a joint project and we'd do one based on an actual rally car's handbrake.

anyway, i've got instructions on the one i want to make but there's one bit i can't seem to get and i'm stuck with what i'm supposed to buy - so any help would be appreciated!

what i'm trying to do is connect two things...

at one end i have the hydraulic handbrake itself with a master cylinder. i haven't bought this bit yet and after looking, there's two outlet thread sizes i seem to be able to buy:
- One is a M10 3/8" 24 IFM
- The other is a 3/8" 24 UNF

at the other end i have the pressure transducer, but it has a thread size of 1/8" 27 NPT

i've been looking online for an adaptor to connect the transducer to either one of the master cylinders, but can't find anything that matches to be able to connect the two

can anyone who know about these things make a suggestion please as my head is now hurting with all of this?!? :)

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Help - stuck on a hydraulic / mechanical question
Topic Originator: Lenstar  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 11:34

Have you had a look at Hydrasun website? , even a call to them might take you forward
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 12:28

https://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/adaptor-1-8-npt-female-to-m10-x-1mm-male-reducer-adaptor-6635/

Like one of those? Depends on whether your ends are male/female and vice versa, We use metric threads (M10) more often nowadays than unified fine (unf).

Failing that I reckon you'd be able to get one made for you pretty easily, fire a message to these blokes and they should do it quickly and easily enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Jun 12:29

Cheers Lenstar... Will look them up!

Thanks Grant, I'll defo give them a shout because that adapter looks like it'll work for their handbrakes/master cyclinders - which will also do the job

Post Edited (Wed 24 Jun 12:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 10:21

On a slight side note, which one are you looking to build? Have a sim rig set up myself, and always fancied a handbrake, but couldn't justify the cost...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Jun 13:09

hi d3monstrate...

bits are starting to arrive just now, so will build over next couple of weeks and can send over shopping list and instructions if you want

we're still waiting for bits to arrive, but the handbrake itself has been delivered although can see a style that would have been much easier to mount on a desk so will jot down some thoughts as well

we're now considering not using the hyrdaulic approach and going good tension springs instead - that would mean ditching the transducer for a potentiometer (but that could be a neater solution as all the gubbins could fit in the body of the handbrake itself)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net