DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Explaining the Inexplicable
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:02

Who would like to have a go? Watch this collection of clips and then explain the logic these people are using cos I'm struggling.

https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/videos/210669160181460/?vh=e

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Explaining the Inexplicable
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:15

Any chance of a link to a non Facebook clip GG please?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:23

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 3 Jul 16:15

Any chance of a link to a non Facebook clip GG please?

Can you not open it or do you have an aversion to Facebook, TOWK? I don't have another link at the moment but it's titled, "Jordan Klepper vs Trump Supporters" (no contest, of course.)

Maybe you could Google that? Let me know how you get on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:56

I'm not on facebook either G.G. is there another way to watch it ??
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 16:58

Haha nothing against Facebook but I'm one of the few who isn't on the social network.
Thanks for the title though, found it on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/NzDhm808oU4

It beggars belief that people, who obviously take a notional interest in politics, can be so desperately ill informed and ignorant. Then again maybe we should all have something against Facebook?

** ETA, When I read my post I realised that it might sound like I was having a pop at Facebook users and I wasn't intending that. Just that Facebook is well known for its targeted political ads and propaganda.

Post Edited (Fri 03 Jul 17:02)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 17:17

Also to add that Jordan Klepper did a first class job dismantling those folks. Very funny indeed. Thanks for posting that GG.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 17:56

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 3 Jul 17:17

Also to add that Jordan Klepper did a first class job dismantling those folks. Very funny indeed. Thanks for posting that GG.

Let's be honest, TOWK - none of the interviewees will have an IQ in 3 figures. They're just folk who hate blacks, Jews, gays, women etc.

I'm a bit confused as to why you couldn't open the original link. I don't have Facebook either - it was forwarded by a friend and I opened it no trouble.

Now back to the OP. Why do you think these people seem unable to re-evaluate their positions in the face of incontrovertible evidence?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Jul 18:32

Not sure then GG why I couldn't see it from the first link GG, it asked me to sign into a Facebook account πŸ€” nevermind.

I think you answered it in your post their GG. Ultimately it is because they're idiots with a predujice. Also though it's about identity politics. I have said it before but there seems to be no place for nuance anymore in politics. People would rather concentrate on their differences rather than their commonalities.
Contrast Trump and his kind with the politician in this clip.
https://youtu.be/M0u3QJrtgEM

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 01:39

It’s a pity that that same politician, willing to defend his adversaries from the barbs of ignorance, chose as his running mate one of the stupidest, most ill informed people ever to seek national office. American politics is a remarkable thing and very little surprises me - but Palin (and Trump) have had a damn good go at it! We could add Dan Quayle to that list, It the longer the list becomes, the less excuse there is for my sense of surprise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 06:10

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 3 Jul 18:32

I think you answered it in your post their GG. Ultimately it is because they're idiots with a predujice. Also though it's about identity politics. I have said it before but there seems to be no place for nuance anymore in politics. People would rather concentrate on their differences rather than their commonalities.
Contrast Trump and his kind with the politician in this clip.
https://youtu.be/M0u3QJrtgEM

Sorry bud, I can't give you any more than a C for that effort. Here is the question again, for posters to wrestle with. You may try to reformulate your previous answer to see if you can improve your grade, TOWK... πŸ˜‰

"Why is it, that some people stick stubbornly to their original point of view, even when incontrovertible evidence is used to show them they are wrong?"

An example might be that someone thinks the Earth is flat, so you take them up to an orbiting space station where they can look down on our planet. "Look, can you now see that the world is a sphere?"

"Yeah, I know it looks round from up here, but I still think it's flat when you're walking on it."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 06:16

Cos some folks are stubborn and won't admit to being wrong... Simple really 🀣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 06:20

Quote:

widtink, Sat 4 Jul 06:16

Cos some folks are stubborn and won't admit to being wrong... Simple really 🀣

Too simplistic, widdy. Ooft my autocorrect wanted to change that to diddy. πŸ˜…
I'm looking for a much more sophisticated, well reasoned thesis. πŸ™‚

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 07:00

Sometimes the simple answers are the best answers .
But if you're looking for sophisticated I'm out 🀣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 09:29

I'll take a C as that's a pass isn't it?
Here's an article then GG that you should find interesting
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/denial-science-chris-mooney/
I did consider plagiarising it to improve my grade GG but I doubt it would have tricked a old hand at the game like yourself ;-)

I do sometimes worry that their may be a hidden hand involved in assisting the ignorant, gullible and moronic to disbelieve the evidence of their eyes and ears. As Voltaire once said (and you may have noticed I do like to quote him) "Those who can make you belive absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 17:05

I found this article on Confirmation Bias which may shed some light on this:-

''Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information that confirms or supports one's prior personal beliefs or values.[1] It is an important type of cognitive bias that has a significant effect on the proper functioning of society by distorting evidence-based decision-making. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. For example, a person may cherry-pick empirical data that supports one's belief, ignoring the remainder of the data that is not supportive. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

Confirmation bias is a broad construct covering a number of explanations. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

A series of psychological experiments in the 1960s suggested that people are biased toward confirming their existing beliefs. Later work re-interpreted these results as a tendency to test ideas in a one-sided way, focusing on one possibility and ignoring alternatives ("myside bias", an alternative name for confirmation bias). In certain situations, this tendency can bias people's conclusions. Explanations for the observed biases include wishful thinking and the limited human capacity to process information. Another explanation is that people show confirmation bias because they are weighing up the costs of being wrong, rather than investigating in a neutral, scientific way. However, even scientists and intelligent people can be prone to confirmation bias.''

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Β© 2021-- DAFC.net