DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Can you believe this?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 18:21

I can't.

My youngest grandchild managed to buy a film on Amazon prime while playing with the remote control of the family's smart TV. It's a 15 and set her parents back £8.49, which they cannot cancel apparently, but not too much harm done.

Here's the funny bit - she's 14 months old. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Can you believe this?
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 19:02

I dont have prime but I would have thought that there would be some kind of system to stop that from happening... A pin number or something.
Seems strange not to have some kind of security inbuilt.
But... As I said... I don't have it.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 19:34

G.G. If it is set up for a one click buy now it can easily happen I have to warn my Granddaughter every time she is browsing

Good on Your Granddaughter she has computer skills already

You will be able to return it and get a full refund Thats one of Amazons better traits
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 20:19

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 4 Jul 19:34

G.G. If it is set up for a one click buy now it can easily happen I have to warn my Granddaughter every time she is browsing

You will be able to return it and get a full refund Thats one of Amazons better traits

Lol, BPP. 😃

Apparently it was a one click buy. Crazy, isn't it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 20:47

It is crazy but makes it so easy G.G. maybe too easy and unless you cancel before dispatch then you have to return the item ... but Amazon are good at accepting returns .... Shame they are not so good at paying income tax ....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 21:04

Following an earlier post on this forum I changed my laptop drive to an ssd, transferred files over and rebooted laptop, worked great!

Next morning tried to start up and low and behold the new ssd failed. Goes online to Amazon who tell me to return it and they will send a replacement, eh no, too much personal data on ssd that could be recovered when repaired!

After a bit of arguing and explanation of what had happened they agree to send out a new one, I think that they are still expecting broken one to be returned!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 21:36

From a very early age my eldest has been fantastic with tech. So much so that he has twice managed to get past security to order games. He saw breaking the security as a game itself. Luckily got the money back on both occasions and he's never done it again.

I still remember him crawling up to the TV and trying to get it to swipe like it was a giant iPad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 22:33

Excuse my techy ignorance but how do these wonderkids manage to pay for the goods? Do they open a bank account at the same time?
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 4 Jul 23:04

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 04 Jul 22:33

Excuse my techy ignorance but how do these wonderkids manage to pay for the goods? Do they open a bank account at the same time?

The payment details are normally stored in folks accounts and in the case of Amazon a “buy now” button confirms a purchase. I’ve got mates who have some horror stories especially with in app purchases on PlayStations and xboxes. Thankfully their kids are a bit older than mine so I knew to remove payment details when my own kids were younger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 10:24

That's one of the major drawbacks of Prime. If you're signed in there's no further check when paying for something: no age check and no confirmation that the person paying the bill is okay with it. It would be easy enough to do.

When I buy stuff from the website I get promoted for a password again when it comes to paying, why not with viewing on TV where you're far more likely to have unauthorised people interacting with it?

As for a refund, they'll know whether or not it's been watched so see no reason for them not doing so. If chase it up, it took a while but I got NowTV to backtrack in similar circumstances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 10:39

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 4 Jul 19:34

I thought they said they couldn't return it so I've asked them why. It was a digital download the baby bought not a DVD, so refunds are not applicable. ☹

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 12:34

Ah did not realise that ... ach weel Granddad can pay for it :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kylebrown88  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 13:28

Right I fancy a rant. If you want my advice, just cut Amazon out your life completely. Prime & shopping. Think how many peoples kids do this and just let it go, basically gifting them money.

Amazon is too easy to use and too convenient for people that can't be arsed shopping around.

Support your local economy online and offline. Everywhere is on their backside just now, yet folk still throw all their wages at this enormous beast.

Here is an idea, use Amazon to search for items available, copy and paste the item name into a search engine and buy stuff from elsewhere, stuff them!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 5 Jul 13:58

Quote:

kylebrown88, Sun 05 Jul 13:28

Right I fancy a rant. If you want my advice, just cut Amazon out your life completely. Prime & shopping. Think how many peoples kids do this and just let it go, basically gifting them money.

Amazon is too easy to use and too convenient for people that can't be arsed shopping around.

Support your local economy online and offline. Everywhere is on their backside just now, yet folk still throw all their wages at this enormous beast.

Here is an idea, use Amazon to search for items available, copy and paste the item name into a search engine and buy stuff from elsewhere, stuff them!

This is what I do. Works a treat and is generally cheaper when the post and packaging is removed.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net