DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Selling a phone on gumtree advice
Topic Originator: DAFC23  
Date:   Thu 9 Jul 23:50

Hi guys just looking for some advice my other half wanted to sell her old phone galaxy s10 plus . Stuck it up for her on gumtree. Had someone from Leceister offering 50 quid above the asking price to post it there.
Don’t want to accept paypal as could request to retract the transaction after they receive phone.
They offered to pay by bank transfer. How much info is it safe to give out in this situation? And is there anyway they can transfer the money back out of the account after it’s been paid in?
Maybe I’m being a bit too cynical but seems too good to be true.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Selling a phone on gumtree advice
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 05:07

I have never had good experiences with gumtree. Had a scammer when trying to sell stuff through it. Also not any offers. Wife placed on Facebay and items were gone in a day.
Be careful with gumtree.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 09:20

Yes. I would not trust Gumtree unless it is a very local sale that you can deliver round. Never convinced about tune payment options. Facebook is fine again if local.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 09:20

If they pay as a gift / friends & family or whatever paypal call it now then you are fine. However anything else and they can receive the phone, immediately rase a case against you and you'll have lost the phone and the money for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 09:34

DAFC23 I am never keen to give out any bank details but a bank transfer is safe Its no worse than say handing a cheque over as the cheque has your account details on it
You being the seller is better than you being the buyer

However there are some very clever scammers out there and my rule is if it seems too good to be true then it usually is

If your not desperate for the dosh hang on until you can sell it face to face locally for cash
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 10:44

Why would someone offer over the asking price? Sounds dodgy to me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 11:29

Don't do it, sell it to someone local-ish for cold hard cash.
Make sure you check that's not dodgy either....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC23  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 22:53

Cheers to all. Had contacted bank this morning and they said should be okay. Still felt bit dodgy though so sold on facebay for bit less but cash.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net