DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 calling all car buffs
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 20:07

My local garage has a 2012 Mercedes for sale with 25,000 miles its a C 180 petrol automatic .. The question is would I be daft to buy an 8 year old Merc ..BTW it is immaculate and been well looked after.. any help advice is always appreciated
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: calling all car buffs
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 20:13

I'm no car expert whatsoever but I'd imagine that the maintenance and repair bill when it is required for a Merc could be substantial.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 20:15

Was thinking that as well Towk also how long before it needs things done It is a stunning car tho
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 20:19

A quick Google of the make/model /year of the car should bring up any inherent problems.
Do an hp check.
Cars mot history can also be checked online so you know what's been done to it over the years.
If all that looks good go for it... Lots of cheap motors out there just now.
Oh... Take someone who knows about motors with you when you go for a wee look.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 20:34

Done the MOT thing widtink and all good no advisory's apart from a tyre since 2015 It really has been well looked after ... BUT and it is a BIG but I have never bought a car older than my current one ... I suppose its a gamble it could outlast me or cost me all my pension :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 20:49

Buying any motor is a gamble mate.
But if you make all the right checks and take the advice of someone who knows a bit about motors you can lessen the risk.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 21:00

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 10 Jul 20:34

Done the MOT thing widtink and all good no advisory's apart from a tyre since 2015 It really has been well looked after ... BUT and it is a BIG but I have never bought a car older than my current one ... I suppose its a gamble it could outlast me or cost me all my pension :)

Set yourself up as a PPE supplier and Boris will send you the money!šŸ˜‰

Infact you'll be able to buy a new one!šŸ¤”šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 10 Jul 21:16

8 years is nothing for modern cars in terms of reliability these days. Biggest worry would be the clutch I guess as modern engines tend to be bombproof (unless youā€™re really unlucky) but google make and model buyers guide and thereā€™s always loads of advice.

This one suggests parts may not be as much as expected above

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/154132/used-mercedes-c-class-buying-guide-2007-2014-mk3

Beauty of an older car is you donā€™t feel you absolutely must use the dealer for any work you need and you can even do a lot yourself. My mate serviced his M3 similar age himself and does it for buttons (he is not a mechanic, white collar worker).

I spent just shy of Ā£50k on an 8yo car the weekend before lockdown 27k and age didnā€™t put me off at all (warranty helps though)

Actually thatā€™s another thing, if you are worried there are lots of after market warranties you can buy some examples

https://www.knowyourmoney.co.uk/car-warranty/?a=used-car-warranty&adgroup=85850261448&campaign=7145984786&usersource=googleppc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo6D4BRDgARIsAA6uN1_bdZfVqckrD-iXOZVnMXffCA1ryiNYbxoss6WrjwllrLPL9wOuZrEaAnPqEALw_wcB

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Sat 11 Jul 04:06

What kind of car was that you bought , P? I've always gone for older but low mileage cars myself and its always paid off. So much life left in them and a lot cheaper than a modern equivalent.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 11 Jul 06:53

Aston Martin Rapide dd23 - 4 doors so takes wife, bairn and dog so a ā€˜practicalā€™ 4 door with a 6litre v12 Vanquish Engine - freakishly expensive when new. Previously had a similar aged AM Vantage Roadster and had no real problems with it of note.

Delighted with the Rapide and planning on doing the NC500 this year.

Post Edited (Sat 11 Jul 06:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 11 Jul 09:50

If you are doing the NC500 just watch out for sheep on the gualin coming down the single track from the mountain into Durness, especially at dusk. Not the easiest part of the world to get recovery from.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 11 Jul 12:34

Things will start to wear eventually, as I'm sure you're aware nothing lasts forever. Despite it only having done 25,000 miles how has it been stored? Your biggest issue will be rubber bushings and the like starting to perish.
Is it a timing chain or belt? If its a belt I'd still want it changed despite the low mileage, with that low mileage though I'd expect the engine to be in absolutely prisine condition, same with the gearbox, unless the previous driver was an imbecile I wouldn't worry about the clutch.

Cars in general are just built better than what they used to be, and I'd expect a Mercedes to be very well built.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 11 Jul 14:52

Honest John is a good place for an honest review. The autobox has a valve issue that is a 3k repair. It's a Mercedes with the allied parts cost and some parts will be mercedes dealer purchase only. I would suggest something newer from elsewhere would be cheaper to run long term. Although having said that I run a 9 yr old BMW diesel and it ain't horrendous to run.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 Jul 19:29

Many thanks to all for your input I will hold on to the Octavia for a wee while longer then go for something a bit newer which will probably outlast me :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 10:52

Mercs typically are very reliable.
8 years with low mileage is fine (imho)

I bought my C220 new in 2003, and ran it until 2017
(when I say 'ran', I beat the cr@p out of it)
270,000 km, often beasting along German autobahns, back to Scotland umpteen times - even at the end, I was still getting over 200Kmph (about 120mph) with no adverse shakes or rattles.

Everything goes eventually, obviously all the wearable stuff was replaced, pads/disks/clutch etc - but the only 'proper' work I needed was replacement of bushes and parts with bushes integrated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 11:57

I remember talking with a cab driver when I was in Shanghai. His vw had done 450k km and said that some last up to 700k.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 13 Jul 18:58

VAG diesels will go for miles. Not sure about the newer Common Rail diesels (these may have been the scandal ones) but the older PD engines have done hundreds of thousands of miles. I think they stopped using them around 2010 but you'll still see ex-taxi ones for sale with 2-300,000 on the clock. There's a guy on YouTube who had one that had done near 500,000 miles.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Ā© 2021-- DAFC.net