DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Danny Rose Interview
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 13:15

Thought about putting this on the football forum as it would get more views and he is a footballer, but that's probably irrelevant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53641559

Should he just shut up and keep taking the money?

Is he exaggerating the police response?

Are our English cousins more overtly racist than the Scots?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Danny Rose Interview
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 13:44

They shouldn't be pulling anyone over unless the car is marked as stolen or there is an issue with the vehicle/how the vehicle is being driven.

He should definitely take a stand.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 15:07

He most certainly should not remain silent on such matters. If such an approach is taken by law enforcement agencies, then this is a matter for all. It has to be challenged, and this can only happen if it’s out in the open. I have no reason to suppose that these accusations are made from malice, or as a result of some misunderstanding. Neither should we glibly assume that this behaviour is peculiar to our friends south of the border - after all, we here in Scotland would never do such things. Aye right !!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 15:59

I find these episodes disturbing but not surprising. The police psyche seems to be that if a black man is driving a fancy car, there's a fair chance he must have stolen it. No doubt they would justify that by pointing out that a disproportionate number of black males are arrested for crimes in the London area, so they are more suspicious of them and act accordingly. It must be hard for guys like Rose not to feel persecuted and completely hacked off all the same.

The reason I asked if the English, generally speaking, have a greater proportion of people with right wing or racist views is because the Brexit vote in England was so decisive compared to Scotland. Now of course, not everybody who voted for Brexit is either right wing or racist, but those who hold these views tend to be xenophobic and one of the Brexiteers' main planks during the campaign was to "take back control" (of UK borders, among other things.)

One reason we might be less racist in outlook in Scotland, is because we don't have such a visible and diverse ethnic mix as they do south of the border.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 16:41

There is something not quite right here

I was followed regularly from Gretna into Carlisle especially driving to start the early shift 5.45 am
I was pulled over one Friday afternoon on my way home and asked for my details

I asked the officer why I was being followed on a regular basis and he said These cars are the easiest to steal so when we see one on the motorway from Scotland to England we think it has been stolen

But now that we know your details where you live and work etc. and you own the car you will not be bothered again

And I wasn't
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 20:50

What kind of car was it buspasspar?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 21:08

It was 1981 Jake89 and it was a mk 2 Cortina ...nice car wooden dashboard but you cold open the doors with a kirby grip and start the engine with a pen knife
I was followed on numerous early mornings until I took the slip road for Carlisle then they would leave me

The day I was pulled over I had 2 pints in Carlisle and a game of snooker with my work mates The officer who got in beside me asked me what the smell was and I said chewing gum

He took it no further thank goodness
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 06:52

This will be no consolation to Rose, but this type of incident is even worse in the USA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53656005

At least he wasn't held at gun point. What a shocking state of affairs.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 11:59

Think you've revealed why they'd check on the old Cortinas! I'm sure you can still open modern day Transits (and probably late 90s Fiestas) using a master key bought for a few quid on eBay.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net