DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sky deals
Topic Originator: marspar  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 20:40

Any new sky deals going about? Looking for full package ideally.

Anyone that works for sky that can help out?

Cheers
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sky deals
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 21:32

Why not just pay for it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 22:02

Because the deals save a fortune?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 22:49

Sky is beyond overpriced for the content as standard
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 23:04

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 23 Jul 21:32

Why not just pay for it?

Why pay full price for it when tens of thousands of people clearly don't?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Jul 23:55

I wouldnt be surprised if more people were on a deal than a full price subscription.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 10:03

I am back in full price now so need to review as well but when you compare sky content to Netflix & Amazon Prime the value is startlingly poor.

I know I should cut the cord as there is very little on sky entertainment that I watch because it’s ‘good’ most of it is just audible wallpaper but I guess it’s a comfort blanket to have it. The movies are pretty poor too (and will get worse as Disney retain their empires content as contracts expire) and sport is distributed over so many suppliers now I am sure I can get my fix elsewhere. Golf is the only real benefit I get from having sky and all in its over £100 a month (albeit with broadband and a phone line I don’t use)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 10:55

As a Black Friday deal last year Virgin were doing an offer where you got the full sport and movies including BT Sport, their 500M broadband, a phone line and and unlimited texts/calls and data (no cap) sim card for £85. My broadband and BT sport were coming out at about £55 quid so we saved a fortune.

You dont get Sky Atlantic but that's the only downside.

Sky movies is abysmal these days. Genuinely can't remember the last time we watched something on that.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 11:10

Managed to get full package (minus sports + movies) for £29 including multiroom which i thought was ok.

Primarily just for boxsets and on demand/record features for the wife and kids and get the stuff i am missing through IPTV no problem.

Actually was a good experience, got through immediately and both the initial bloke in customer service and the person in retentions who was able to get the price down were working from home (as i was at the time) and ended up having a good chat about a variety of things; definitely a much better/happier experience than usual dealings with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 11:18

Can only echo what you've said about Virgin Media LPF.
Found it to be a great value and every year we call back up and get another good deal.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 13:23

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 24 Jul 11:18

Can only echo what you've said about Virgin Media LPF.
Found it to be a great value and every year we call back up and get another good deal.

Getting Virgin installed next week, 2 boxes, BB and phone, all sky channels and BT sport, £79.00,18 month contract, plus an unlimited mobile SIM card.

Guy on Facebook giving you first 3 months free just now!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 13:28

https://m.facebook.com/groups/398947320155212?view=permalink&id=3060986623951255
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Fri 24 Jul 16:32

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Fri 24 Jul 11:10

Managed to get full package (minus sports + movies)

So NOT anywhere near the full package then? 🤣

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Fri 24 Jul 11:10

get the stuff i am missing through IPTV no problem.

That would be the illegal, pirated stuff then?
Cool story bro.

Post Edited (Fri 24 Jul 16:34)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 25 Jul 11:28

Get a Now TV box with a few months free entertainment included. When you go to cancel online they'll offer you it at a reduced rate. When they stop, set up a new account for a month and do the same again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Iain567  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 12:56

I can help you out if your a new customer, send me an email and I can send you a deal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 26 Jul 22:31

Managed to get Sky Q UHD full package (excluding internet) for £51 a month for 18 months which I was happy with. I have two mini sky Q boxes too which is ideal. It was some hassle to get mind you. You’re on the phone for hours starting at £80+ a month!

Post Edited (Sun 26 Jul 22:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 27 Jul 12:14

Did you have to give notice and then call back towards the end of it or how did you play it?
Thanks

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 09:05

<<Did you have to give notice and then call back towards the end of it or how did you play it?>>

You can be straight with them, phone, ask for retentions, confirm that you are out of contract, and ask what the best deals are.
(yeah, you're comparing with virgin/bt etc)

Best deals are with upgrade to SkyQ and phone/broadband package
(that I can't get :-/ )

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: babs woodhouse  
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 12:38

Are sky going to go down the internet route
I don't want a dish on the house or cables
Surely the can go down the same road as Netflix etc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Jul 12:47

Was talk of that when I was working for SKY 5 years ago, they would save money on engineers and the dreaded "No satellite signal "
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Tue 4 Aug 21:38

P, I cancelled on the initial call, which was an absolute nightmare and was emailed a few days later asking to phone a certain number or goto sky chat through the link to discuss further if they could keep me. £51 was the first offer for 18 months which I was more than happy with.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 10:45

Contract up later this month. As a dinosaur I still believe that loyalty should be rewarded. Last week got through to Retentions and indicated I was cancelling my contract. Spoke with home-working rep. who followed his training and told me what a fantastically loyal Platinum VIP customer I was. I didn’t want a new best pal, I just wanted to be told the best deal available. Had been paying £95 per month and this was due to go to £132.
I had done my homework and knew that, as a new customer, I could get same package for £91. After 29 minutes of my life that I can’t get back I was offered £98.50. Politely declined. I was asked what he could do to clinch the deal - in other words it was to be a negotiating game. Ended the call.
Went on to the web chat system this morning, explained that I did not want to play games and without any problem got better package for £90.50 and got the admin fee (£20) waived.
Well worth the hassle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 10:58

Just as well I don't do sky. No way I could afford to spend over £1000 per year just to watch TV.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 11:17

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 5 Aug 10:58

Just as well I don't do sky. No way I could afford to spend over £1000 per year just to watch TV.

I'd imagine that would include phone and broadband too. So not just TV

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 11:24

Yes it was for the full package - incl. sports, movies, multiroom.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 12:11

I just added hd and netflix for an extra £7.50 per month, through chat.

He waived the 20 quid admin fee when I said I wouldn't proceed with the upgrade.

I already already had UHD, so getting netflix through sky means 4 people can watch at once, not just the 2 we could do previously.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 13:48

Quote:

Parplod, Wed 5 Aug 11:24

Still £1080 is a huge sum of money. Would not give sky the cash even if I thought I could afford it and thought it was worth it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Aug 23:11

£23.99 Vodafone broadband and phone. Council telly with Netflix (£9.99) and Amazon Prime (£7.99).

Rarely use Amazon but it comes with Prime delivery.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 08:14

Quote:

jake89, Wed 5 Aug 23:11

£23.99 Vodafone broadband and phone. Council telly with Netflix (£9.99) and Amazon Prime (£7.99).

Rarely use Amazon but it comes with Prime delivery.

Fibre broadband and phone £22. Prime video £7.99. Freeview. That's it for me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 08:56

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 5 Aug 13:48

Quote:

Parplod, Wed 5 Aug 11:24

Still £1080 is a huge sum of money. Would not give sky the cash even if I thought I could afford it and thought it was worth it.

Not that it's anyone's business but why not?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 09:54

My renewal price for the full sky q package (sports, cinema, ultimate, uhd etc) had rocketed. It took a bit of time but by phoning and rejecting the initial offers and asking to cancel I was put through to the retention team who seem to process the cancellations. The retention teams offers were much better but still higher so I went ahead with the cancellation knowing that the cancellation period is 31 days so i could still call back or maybe a better offer would come through.

I then started after a week to get emails from the winback team and on the second attempt got the price back to lower than my last contract.

This was only in the last few weeks and was a bit of hassle but a lot of money saved over 18 months. I dont know whether the winback team would always get involved but worked for me.

The sky retention deals thread on the moneysavingexpert forum is quite a good way of finding out the kind of deals people have been getting and what you should be aiming for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 11:28

Quote:

halbe, Thu 6 Aug 09:54

My renewal price for the full sky q package (sports, cinema, ultimate, uhd etc) had rocketed. It took a bit of time but by phoning and rejecting the initial offers and asking to cancel I was put through to the retention team who seem to process the cancellations. The retention teams offers were much better but still higher so I went ahead with the cancellation knowing that the cancellation period is 31 days so i could still call back or maybe a better offer would come through.

I then started after a week to get emails from the winback team and on the second attempt got the price back to lower than my last contract.

This was only in the last few weeks and was a bit of hassle but a lot of money saved over 18 months. I dont know whether the winback team would always get involved but worked for me.

The sky retention deals thread on the moneysavingexpert forum is quite a good way of finding out the kind of deals people have been getting and what you should be aiming for.

There is one reason not to deal with these cowboys. Terrible way to treat your customers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 11:41

I agree but in fairness almost all subscription services work like that. You'll get better phone and broadband deals on retention offers and I'm sure that will extend to loads of other sectors.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 12:03

They're all the same. Limited with TV but for insurance I now tell them I don't want a better quote as they should've given me that in the first place. Same argument every year. I know it means nothing to them but it hopefully eventually makes a point.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 12:15

Yeah insurance is a prime example.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 15:03

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 6 Aug 12:15

Yeah insurance is a prime example.

Used to work in insurance and we were the worst culprits. In fairness I worked with larger industrial cases where there tended to her an long 3 week discussion.

Household and cars are treated differently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 17:38

Think how many people must 'lapse' out of contract and/or don't pay any attention to renewal hikes and just plod along as normal.

Especially older people who are perhaps not too tech savvy are vulnerable.

My mother in law was paying absolutely crazy money for tv through SKY, line rental & broadband through BT and a mobile phone through vodafone from an old iphone 6 which was on contract (at the time) then continued to roll over at the same monthly price for the last three or four years on the same handset.

Everything like that was taken care of by my father in law who passed away 4 years ago now and she was totally unaware of outgoings for that sort of stuff, how long contracts lasted etc etc.

Must be thousands of people in a similar boat paying out way over the odds.....even a wee 20 or 30 quid jump for insurance a lot of people think what is the hassle cancelling, shopping around and changing for the sake of a quid or two difference a month on their direct debit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Thu 06 Aug 17:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 18:36

Competition was one of the benefits of privatisation, don't you know? We simply didn't realise it would be the companies that would benefit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 19:34

I save over £150 on average on my car insurance renewal every year by calling them and asking for a better deal.
Which begs the question... If they can knock that kinda dosh off... Why the high renewal in the first place?
Even the guy I talked to on the phone this year agreed that my renewal was far too high.

Admin

Post Edited (Thu 06 Aug 19:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 20:03

Quote:

widtink, Thu 6 Aug 19:34

I save over £150 on average on my car insurance renewal every year by calling them and asking for a better deal.
Which begs the question... If they can knock that kinda dosh off... Why the high renewal in the first place?
Even the guy I talked to on the phone this year agreed that my renewal was far too high.

Wow. If I saved £150 on my motor insurance they would be paying me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 20:38

Quote:

moviescot, Thu 6 Aug 20:03

Quote:

Wow. If I saved £150 on my motor insurance they would be paying me.

Aye I only got back into driving my own motor 5 years ago after previously driving company vans for 14 years.

Admin

Post Edited (Thu 06 Aug 20:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 20:39

Quote:

I think you know the answer to that one. They'd like to sell for as much as possible!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 20:45

But how many folk just accept their renewal quote?
That's just daft imo

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 21:05

This is across the board though. If you want convenience (or just to be lazy if you prefer) you'll pay for the privilege.
Doesn't matter whether it's beer and crisps from the wee shop, utilities, holidays, cars - pretty much anything.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 21:37

Impacts most on the more vulnerable though. Those who don't know how to shop about and use comparison sites or people who are nervous about phoning companies. I recently went to cancel my home insurance renewal and the only way of doing so was to call them. Ridiculous in the 21st century. It's obviously so they can try and convince you to stay (which they did).

I remember years.ago having a nightmare trying to cancel Virgin. I literally had to keep repeating "no, I just want to cancel" until the guy finally gave in. It was all "you know.you won't get these speeds" and "Sky may have Sky Q but we're about to launch our version and it's better". A minor annoyance for me but probably stressful for others who may crumble.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Aug 22:27

You're right. I used to have to go through all my mother's renewals. She had been with the same companies for over 30 years and couldn't see the point in changing. Until she saw the savings.
Even then though she couldn't have done it herself.
I guess my kids will be doing the same for me in 20 years though.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net