DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tech advice (part 2... Revenge of the keyboard) 😬
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 14:53

OK it's doing it again.
Can't even sign in now cos it won't let me type in my password.
It's typing in different numbers and letters to what I'm typing.
Tried send me a new code so that I can access my laptop but to do that I have to type in my email address... Which I cannot do.
Aboot ready to launch it through the Window... Any advice gratefully received.
Petrol and matches are on standby.
For info it's a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Regards
Widders
P. S.... I have tried switching it off and on again... Several times.

Admin

Post Edited (Fri 21 Aug 15:02)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tech advice (part 2... Revenge of the keyboard) 😬
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 15:31

If you type "QWERTY" what appears on the screen?
That might help you find out if it has just changed your keyboard language settings or not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 15:37

Try plugging in a UK keyboard. If you have a computer from a different region(not UK) the keyboard on software updates or restarts can revert to the locale of the computer. Plugging in a separate keyboard(UK) can at least bring some sort of order that you can access the computer. Before entering any password in the password box test it out in the username as complex characters are the most likely to cause this issue. People think they have forgotten the passwords but with mixed keyboards this has to be checked visually that it is the correct passcode.
Also in your settings it is likely you have two regions. You must delete the region that is creating the conflict.

Sorry it is a bit vague but these are two items I know can conflict as I deal with computers globally and these are the most common issues I have faced.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 15:50

Quote:

widtink, Fri 21 Aug 14:53

OK it's doing it again.
Can't even sign in now cos it won't let me type in my password.
It's typing in different numbers and letters to what I'm typing.
Tried send me a new code so that I can access my laptop but to do that I have to type in my email address... Which I cannot do.
Aboot ready to launch it through the Window... Any advice gratefully received.
Petrol and matches are on standby.
For info it's a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Regards
Widders
P. S.... I have tried switching it off and on again... Several times.

My old laptop done the same. Basically you need a new keyboard.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 19:03

What happens if you try and use the on screen keyboard and type your password in using the mouse?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 19:57

That's exactly what I've just done. (didn't know I could do that) and have managed to get into my computer at least.
However... The actual keyboard is still spouting the awfiest keech when I try to type.
This did happen last week and an update sorted it out... But doesn't seem to want to update just now.
Might have to get mysel a plug in keyboard to check if the one on the laptop has a problem.
Have been into the control panel and done diagnostics on keyboard and it's coming back as no faults detected.
Also on this laptop... The touch pad has a habit of disabling itself for some reason and I have to go into settings and enable it.
Happens regularly and has done since I bought it.
I am on the English keyboard setting.
Petrol option looking good now 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 21:37

Once logged in try to open a notepad doc,can be done with a mouse,then type along your keyboard and see what you get.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sat 22 Aug 12:49

There's certain keystrokes that can change the language but, inconviently, not back again. Something I used at work a couple of years ago has a shortcut which wasn't far off the shortcut to changing it to Chinese. There's settings to change it back but it doesn't stop it from happening again.

The solution there was to remove any other language packs so if you do hit the wrong shortcut it can't switch.

Look up removing language packs, if i remember next time I'm on a PC I'll post instructions but you should be able to figure it out yourself.

It might well be something different of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net