DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Electrical Riddle
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 12:16

I bought an under-the-worktop freezer, many years ago. It has a moulded plug and the socket is above the worktop, so the cable passes through a small, drilled hole in the worktop.

The freezer is on its last legs, so I bought a new one, today. It too, has a moulded plug, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember how I did it last time. I didn't cut off and replace the plug and I don't think I disconnected and reconnected the cable at the freezer end. Is there any other way I could have done it?

This Auldtimer's is beginning to do ma heid in. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Electrical Riddle
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 12:45

Is it an actual hole or is it a D shape with the long edge actually being against the wall?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 13:05

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 7 Sep 12:45

Is it an actual hole or is it a D shape with the long edge actually being against the wall?

It's a drilled hole, only slightly larger than the cable passing through it, TOWK. I don't think there's any way I'd have disconnected the cable at the freezer end - it looks quite complex.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 13:20

Easiest just to cut the moulded plug off and replace it G.G.
Mind put the cable through the hole first tho :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 13:46

''Easiest just to cut the moulded plug off and replace it G.G.
Mind put the cable through the hole first tho :)''

I can tell you're a proper sparkie, BPP and a laugh a minute with it. :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: storminNorman  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 14:08

Cut the plug off and you may invalidate your warranty,from the way you describe the the way it was done before the fridge was in place before the worktop was fitted and the installer then drilled the hole pushed worktop into place plugged in fridge/freezer and on you go.
Thinking about it that can be the only way it was done just don’t muck about with plug wiring nowadays as I say warranty and all that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 14:23

Quote:

storminNorman, Mon 7 Sep 14:08

Cut the plug off and you may invalidate your warranty,from the way you describe the the way it was done before the fridge was in place before the worktop was fitted and the installer then drilled the hole pushed worktop into place plugged in fridge/freezer and on you go.
Thinking about it that can be the only way it was done just don’t muck about with plug wiring nowadays as I say warranty and all that.

Norman, I bought the freezer from Comet and I installed it myself. The worktop, with drilled hole, was already there. We still have the same kitchen. I just can't remember how on Earth I did it and that's what's really bugging me. I know I can lop off the plug and replace it. There's absolutely no reason that should invalidate the warranty, provided it's wired properly and safely. It's not that difficult, is it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 14:58

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 15:14

This is probably a total non runner - but did you cut the cable (halfway-ish) between moulded plug and freezer and reconnect (after cable run down though pre-existing) hole using a cable connector ?

Like this - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4706061-10a-3-pin-rubber-cable-connector-black?msclkid=30093b4ee3571267b90f6418dea08be1&gclid=CI_Pip6b1-sCFcG4GwodHscK0A&gclsrc=ds
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 15:45

Unscrew & pull the worktop forward a couple of inches?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 16:15

Quote:

BigJPar, Mon 7 Sep 14:58

The cable going to the fridge may be terminated on a connector block on the fridge. Disconnect from fridge, pass through hole and reconnect onto fridge.

I'll have a look, BigJ, but not optimistic.

VEE, correct. A non runner.🙂

Lux - it wouldn't work - cable goes through a small whole in the worktop.

Post Edited (Mon 07 Sep 16:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 16:37

Unless you cut and replace (probably void the warranty) then the only way would be to pull the worktop forward, pull the plug up, and push the worktop back.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 16:38

The other solution would be to open the back and see if there's a wee connector block. If there is then disconnect it, run the cable down, reconnect it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 17:05

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Sep 17:16

ok GG not sure how you done it but cut the moulded plug of nowadays and you most likely will invalidate your warranty,you have taken an original part of and replaced it with a technically more unsafe plug top.
they are moulded now for a reason i work with electrical equipment new and old every day and all our new equipment comes with moulded and we can not remove it until after the warranty is out.
on the the other hand if you do cut and replace the chances of it breaking down in the first year are remote obviously its a chance you take.
plus forgot to add if you do remove and replace moulded it invalidates the electrical test so mind and Pat test the fridge just in case anyone get electrocuted lol

Post Edited (Mon 07 Sep 17:20)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Sep 07:26

I'm sure you're all dying to know how this saga has ended.... 😉

Getting into the back of the freezer looked far too complex a task, so I bit the bullet and lopped off the moulded plug. BPP, will be delighted to learn that I forgot to feed the cable through the hole in the worktop before wiring up the new plug, so I had to start again..... ☹ It's not easy being old, I tell you.

Norman, I probably have invalidated the warranty now, but there was no offer of help from you, even though you're an electrical expert and a fellow Pars fan, so I had to make a decision. Strictly speaking, it shouldn't affect the warranty, but I'm sure Currys would use this as an excuse, should I try to make a claim....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 8 Sep 09:26

LOL Love it G.G. After me telling you as well :-) :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Sep 09:40

Very good GG I would have probably done the same but if you want it pat tested give me a message no problem. I even have a wee sticker I can stick somewhere to tell you it’s passed mind you if it fails lol
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 8 Sep 09:40

I hope you filmed it and put it on youtube for posterity, GGR. It could be the start of a series.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Tue 8 Sep 15:28

I read this the other day and immediately thought of GG...

"A man has blown up part of his house while trying to swat a fly.

The man, who is in his 80's, was about to tuck into his dinner when he became irritated by a fly buzzing around him.

He picked up an electric fly swatter and started targeting it - but a gas canister was leaking in his Dordogne home.

A reaction between the device and the gas caused an explosion, destroying the kitchen and partly damaging the roof of the home in Parcoul-Chenaud village.

According to local media, the unnamed man had a lucky escape, sustaining just a burn to the hand.

However, the fate of the fly is not known, news outlet Sud-Ouest notes."

Tim Allen from "Home Improvement" would be immensely proud of you GG... splendid work...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Sep 18:36

Aye, you're all a right bunch of laughs, especially AWP. 😃

I'm really not that bothered about the warranty, it just bugs me no end that I can't remember how I solved the riddle with my old freezer. I don't want to say how long it lasted as I don't want to jinx my new one but, suffice to say, if this one does as well, it will easily outlive me. ☺

It even survived being on for 2 weeks with the door open, while we were on holiday. When we got back, there was a a little glacier on the kitchen floor and the heat generated by the freezer had lifted the top right off.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net