DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Mon 19 Oct 08:47

Looking to buy a smartwatch at some point between now and the end of the year, but struggling to find exactly what I'm after from all the options out there.

I have a Huawei phone, so will mostly likely be sticking to Android/Huawei rather than Apple.

Ideally looking to keep it to under £200. Would like to not need to take my phone when out exercising, so needs to be able to play music/podcasts and GPS for accurate tracking. Other than that, getting basic notifications for texts/calls/WhatsApp would be handy, but being able to answer isn't essential.

Any recommendations on what to look at or what to avoid would be appreciated!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 19 Oct 13:24

I think Google bought Fitbit so imagine their watches will integrate well with Android. I'd probably avoid Huawei as they've been locked out by the American government meaning no Google Play Store on new devices. Xiaomi seem a better bet.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 19 Oct 16:42

Are garmin not the best ones for sports / smart watches?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 19 Oct 18:38

I had the same issue. No n offers what to buy. Finally decided to get a TicWatch Pro. Works well with my android phone and can be synced with Google fit, Strava or runkeeper. It's own TicHealth app is also pretty good

Paid under £200 for the watch and had it nearly a year. Really happy with it.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 05:56

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1513936?cmpid=gg05x&&_$ja=tsid:13542.7cacid:987-710-4682.7ccid:10149122361.7cagid:104332658369.7ctid:aud-641224041097:dsa-415481602714.7ccrid:437891911103.7cnw:g.7crnd:4726760404688485657.7cdvc:c.7cadp:.7cmt:b.7cloc:1007322&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=10149122361&utm_term=&utm_content=text&utm_custom1=104332658369&utm_custom2=987-710-4682&cmpid=GG05X&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvePjnLDC7AIVF-DtCh1r2wRxEAAYAiAAEgKLf_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
about 2/3rds of the price of most other outlets as well.

*Edit* not sure why link i posted isnt shows but was a Garmin 645 music from argos, under £200



Post Edited (Tue 20 Oct 14:45)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 09:08

I think Google bought Fitbit so imagine their watches will integrate well with Android. I.d probably avoid Huawei as they.ve been locked out by the American government meaning no Google Play Store on new devices. Xiaomi seem a better bet.

Yeh, the Huawei GT2 was the best looking watch I had seen, but was put off by the lack of third party apps - particularly Spotify and Strava. Will have a look into Xiaomi, cheers.



I had the same issue. No n offers what to buy. Finally decided to get a TicWatch Pro. Works well with my android phone and can be synced with Google fit, Strava or runkeeper. It.s own TicHealth app is also pretty good

Paid under £200 for the watch and had it nearly a year. Really happy with it.


Just had a quick look there, as I wasn.t really aware of any of the TicWatches. They look really close to what I.m after so will do some more digging. The new one looks outstanding for the price! How have you found the battery to be?



Post Edited (Tue 20 Oct 09:09)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 13:06

https://rb.gy/m0m0qo



Presumably this is the Argos link you were after?

Post Edited (Tue 20 Oct 13:14)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 13:08

Quote:

Jjonjord, Tue 20 Oct 09:08

I think Google bought Fitbit so imagine their watches will integrate well with Android. I.d probably avoid Huawei as they.ve been locked out by the American government meaning no Google Play Store on new devices. Xiaomi seem a better bet.

Yeh, the Huawei GT2 was the best looking watch I had seen, but was put off by the lack of third party apps - particularly Spotify and Strava. Will have a look into Xiaomi, cheers.



I had the same issue. No n offers what to buy. Finally decided to get a TicWatch Pro. Works well with my android phone and can be synced with Google fit, Strava or runkeeper. It.s own TicHealth app is also pretty good

Paid under £200 for the watch and had it nearly a year. Really happy with it.


Just had a quick look there, as I wasn.t really aware of any of the TicWatches. They look really close to what I.m after so will do some more digging. The new one looks outstanding for the price! How have you found the battery to be?



That's the only real issue. My battery will last two days usually. I don't really mind that as I will tend to put it on charge each night as I go to bed. Don't wear it in bed so it only really needs to last one day for me.

When I first got it it only lasted about a day but I think that's because I was fiddling about with it a lot. Now that I'm used to it it lasts two days easily.

It's the first fit type watch I've had and I really like it.

Post Edited (Tue 20 Oct 13:10)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 15:01

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jonjo, but I bought a fitness tracker recently, which I only want to wear when I'm out running.... err shuffling to be more accurate. 🙂

It has all the features I was looking for except that its face is quite small and I can't read it without my glasses, which I've never worn when running as my distance vision is OK.

Does anyone know if there is any other solution to this problem and do glasses steam up when running outdoors, like they do when worn together with a face mask?



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 15:38

I have exactly the same problem trying to read my Fitbit so I just power on and don.t read it until I get home-not an ideal solution I know :) If i have a pocket in my shorts I sometimes stick my old pair of glasses in there.

I.ve never fancied contact lenses myself either. Carry a magnifying glass with you perhaps or a pair of Edgar Davids style specs!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 17:31

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 20 Oct 15:01

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jonjo, but I bought a fitness tracker recently, which I only want to wear when I'm out running.... err shuffling to be more accurate. 🙂

It has all the features I was looking for except that its face is quite small and I can't read it without my glasses, which I've never worn when running as my distance vision is OK.

Does anyone know if there is any other solution to this problem and do glasses steam up when running outdoors, like they do when worn together with a face mask?


You get a watch that speaks to your phone. You can then ok Google it for distance and time info
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: SAP PAR  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 17:46

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 20 Oct 15:01

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jonjo, but I bought a fitness tracker recently, which I only want to wear when I'm out running.... err shuffling to be more accurate. 🙂

It has all the features I was looking for except that its face is quite small and I can't read it without my glasses, which I've never worn when running as my distance vision is OK.

Does anyone know if there is any other solution to this problem and do glasses steam up when running outdoors, like they do when worn together with a face mask?


I had the same issue until I found out you can get fitted for a single contact lense. Now I have perfect long and short vision and more importantly no more hunting for my reading glasses 🤓.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 18:55

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 20 Oct 15:01

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jonjo, but I bought a fitness tracker recently, which I only want to wear when I'm out running.... err shuffling to be more accurate. 🙂

It has all the features I was looking for except that its face is quite small and I can't read it without my glasses, which I've never worn when running as my distance vision is OK.

Does anyone know if there is any other solution to this problem and do glasses steam up when running outdoors, like they do when worn together with a face mask?


You need to get one of those prescription watches. They’re made by the same company that made the prescription windscreens for Billy Connollys dad 😊
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: D4FCB  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:18

As far as Glasses go, get a pair of Oakley sports/running frames and get them fitted with Varifocal/transition/vented lenses. Been wearing them for running for years.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 20 Oct 19:35

Quote:

dd23, Tue 20 Oct 18:55

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 20 Oct 15:01

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jonjo, but I bought a fitness tracker recently, which I only want to wear when I'm out running.... err shuffling to be more accurate. 🙂

It has all the features I was looking for except that its face is quite small and I can't read it without my glasses, which I've never worn when running as my distance vision is OK.

Does anyone know if there is any other solution to this problem and do glasses steam up when running outdoors, like they do when worn together with a face mask?


You need to get one of those prescription watches. They’re made by the same company that made the prescription windscreens for Billy Connollys dad 😊


Weird.... That's exactly what I was thinking about while reading this thread. Had to watch the clip again 🤣


[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 08:28

Quote:

moviescot, Tue 20 Oct 13:08

Quote:

Jjonjord, Tue 20 Oct 09:08

I think Google bought Fitbit so imagine their watches will integrate well with Android. I.d probably avoid Huawei as they.ve been locked out by the American government meaning no Google Play Store on new devices. Xiaomi seem a better bet.

Yeh, the Huawei GT2 was the best looking watch I had seen, but was put off by the lack of third party apps - particularly Spotify and Strava. Will have a look into Xiaomi, cheers.



I had the same issue. No n offers what to buy. Finally decided to get a TicWatch Pro. Works well with my android phone and can be synced with Google fit, Strava or runkeeper. It.s own TicHealth app is also pretty good

Paid under £200 for the watch and had it nearly a year. Really happy with it.


Just had a quick look there, as I wasn.t really aware of any of the TicWatches. They look really close to what I.m after so will do some more digging. The new one looks outstanding for the price! How have you found the battery to be?



That's the only real issue. My battery will last two days usually. I don't really mind that as I will tend to put it on charge each night as I go to bed. Don't wear it in bed so it only really needs to last one day for me.

When I first got it it only lasted about a day but I think that's because I was fiddling about with it a lot. Now that I'm used to it it lasts two days easily.

It's the first fit type watch I've had and I really like it.


That sounds pretty similar to how I intend to use it, so should work out just fine! Having done some more reading, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for this one. Cheers for the recommendation!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Smartwatch Recommendations
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 21 Oct 17:08

Quote:

Jjonjord, Wed 21 Oct 08:28

Quote:

moviescot, Tue 20 Oct 13:08

Quote:

Jjonjord, Tue 20 Oct 09:08

I think Google bought Fitbit so imagine their watches will integrate well with Android. I.d probably avoid Huawei as they.ve been locked out by the American government meaning no Google Play Store on new devices. Xiaomi seem a better bet.

Yeh, the Huawei GT2 was the best looking watch I had seen, but was put off by the lack of third party apps - particularly Spotify and Strava. Will have a look into Xiaomi, cheers.



I had the same issue. No n offers what to buy. Finally decided to get a TicWatch Pro. Works well with my android phone and can be synced with Google fit, Strava or runkeeper. It.s own TicHealth app is also pretty good

Paid under £200 for the watch and had it nearly a year. Really happy with it.


Just had a quick look there, as I wasn.t really aware of any of the TicWatches. They look really close to what I.m after so will do some more digging. The new one looks outstanding for the price! How have you found the battery to be?



That's the only real issue. My battery will last two days usually. I don't really mind that as I will tend to put it on charge each night as I go to bed. Don't wear it in bed so it only really needs to last one day for me.

When I first got it it only lasted about a day but I think that's because I was fiddling about with it a lot. Now that I'm used to it it lasts two days easily.

It's the first fit type watch I've had and I really like it.


That sounds pretty similar to how I intend to use it, so should work out just fine! Having done some more reading, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for this one. Cheers for the recommendation!


Hope you like it. Feel a bit under pressure now. 🤣
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net