DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Automated Pedestrian Lights
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 13:30

I wonder who had the bright idea of switching the various sets of pedestrian lights, at all the exits of the Sinclair Gardens roundabout, from manual to automated. Until recently, pedestrians would push a button when they wished to cross and wait for the green crossing symbol. Now they change periodically, whether there are any pedestrians or not. The result is that the traffic snarls up back on to the roundabout. ☹

I'm hoping this is just a temporary measure. Perhaps the council is trying to limit Covid transmission by avoiding the touching of the button by different people?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Automated Pedestrian Lights
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 13:34

“Perhaps the council is trying to limit Covid transmission by avoiding the touching of the button by different people?”

That’s your answer I’d bet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 14:31

Believe a lot of button press crossings have been disabled.

Though remember that Fife Council is obsessed with roundabouts and traffic lights. The roundabout at the viaduct is about to get lights on it. Same at the Sky roundabout.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 15:21

Quote:

allparone, Sat 28 Nov 13:34

“Perhaps the council is trying to limit Covid transmission by avoiding the touching of the button by different people?”

It was an attempt at biting sarcasm, allparone. ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 15:32

Shame they don't put lights on some of the Kirkcaldy roundabouts, Chapel Level is like a race track.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 17:18

It`s a pity Halbeath Road didn`t have these autonomous traffic lights back in the 1980s when The Road Warrior GG was using that stretch of road as his own personal racing straight. 😄😉

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 17:21

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 28 Nov 15:21

Quote:

allparone, Sat 28 Nov 13:34

It was an attempt at biting sarcasm, allparone. ☺

It was probably a good attempt GG. I’m just not that quick on the uptake these days 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 19:21

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 28 Nov 17:18

It`s a pity Halbeath Road didn`t have these autonomous traffic lights back in the 1980s when The Road Warrior GG was using that stretch of road as his own personal racing straight. 😄😉

It was actually during the 70s, TOWK and ironically enough, there was only one set of lights in the whole of Dunfermline, IIRC. That was at the junction of Pilmuir St and what is now Carnegie Drive. There had been lights at the junction of Pittencrieff St and Chalmers St and also at the top of William St, but these were removed for a while before being reinstated.

Now back on topic. These automated pedestrian lights are snarling up the Sinclair Gardens roundabout, so that it's now as bad as it was before they put traffic lights on it. What are you, good, law abiding citizen that you are, going to do about it? 🤔

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Sat 28 Nov 21:12

They are a pain in the back side but needs most I suppose. What's noticeable now though when I go to the ones at the bottom of townhill road every morning for work is more and more people are just driving through them even if they're on red if theres no one there. All it takes is one person not to be noticed and they're hit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 29 Nov 10:39

G.G. If you give me an hours notice I`ll come and help you across the road :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Nov 11:13

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 29 Nov 10:39

G.G. If you give me an hours notice I`ll come and help you across the road :)

Laugh, I thought I'd never start..... 😃

I just don't understand why this was fixed when it wasn't broken. I'm a pedestrian, I walk up to the lights, press the button and wait for the wee green man. No pedestrians? Lights stay green for motorists. Simples.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 29 Nov 11:36

The biggest shambles is the sequencing of the lights at Pilmuir street/Carnegie drive

Just for emphasis, an absolute shambles

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 29 Nov 11:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Nov 12:00

It'll be worse when the Pilmuir Works is finished as there'll be an access onto Winterthur Lane and another onto Foundry Street. Access to the wee car park beside Fire Station Creative must be a nightmare and the piddly car park beside the Carnegie Apartments (old clinic) seems to be utterly pointless.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gopars  
Date:   Sun 29 Nov 20:20

It is a Covid 19 measure, i went on Fife Council website to complain and a message appeared that they have been automated.

Cut me do I not bleed black and white.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parnott  
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 08:14

I wondered if the council would know how many times a day the crossings were actually being used before they automated it? For the now hundreds of times Ive been stopped exiting the roundabout Ive never seen a single person crossing. It's really f***** annoying.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 08:33

The altenative risk will be a pedestrian decides just to run across the road.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 10:20

Quote:

jake89, Mon 30 Nov 08:33

Why would they feel the need to just run across the road when they can change the lights on request, Jake? I bet that anyone bold enough to chance it under the old system, will still do so under the automated one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Al  
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 11:37

It`s the lights at the top of St Margarets Dr heading south that get me. They change about every 20 seconds and there is never anybody there. The fact there is an overbridge as well!!

And the ones at Tesco that aren`t even automatic but are so out of sequence that they cause delays back to Sinclair Gardens.

And I work with traffic lights....wife and kids are sick of me moaning each time I get in the car at the moment!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 12:42

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 30 Nov 10:20

Quote:

Why would they feel the need to just run across the road when they can change the lights on request, Jake? I bet that anyone bold enough to chance it under the old system, will still do so under the automated one.

Because they've disabled the button is my understanding. They don't want people pressing buttons due to covid spread.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 12:49

You'd think an alternative switch could be added at some point - a foot switch or infra-red based switch. Not beyond the wit of man, but accept it may take time to sort out.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 13:00

Motion sensor would do it. Tbh, they'd be better than buttons even without covid as stops the lights changing if s person has walked off or already crossed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 13:55

Quote:

Pars Al, Mon 30 Nov 11:37

It`s the lights at the top of St Margarets Dr heading south that get me. They change about every 20 seconds and there is never anybody there. The fact there is an overbridge as well!!

And the ones at Tesco that aren`t even automatic but are so out of sequence that they cause delays back to Sinclair Gardens.

And I work with traffic lights....wife and kids are sick of me moaning each time I get in the car at the moment!!

Any lobbying you could do would help. Magnified due to the Coal Road being closed

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 14:51

Quote:

jake89, Mon 30 Nov 12:42

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 30 Nov 10:20

Quote:

Because they've disabled the button is my understanding. They don't want people pressing buttons due to covid spread.

😃 We're talking at cross purposes, Jake. I understood that you were saying that if the lights hadn't been automated, pedestrians might risk it, wheteas I meant why would they need to take risks using the usual push button method.

I jokingly suggested that the change might be a Covid precaution, little realising I was spot on. Is pushing that wee button more likely to give you Covid than pushing a shop door, a supermarket trolley, or picking up a shopping basket? How about letters and cards through your letterbox? The postie could have asymptomatic Covid......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 15:01

Smarter than you think, GG 🙂

Does anyone know why the coal road can't be widened? I'd heard years ago it was because the owner of the land on the west side refused to sell any of the land and that the Glen side is protected. Seems daft that we're still using such a narrow road.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 15:17

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 30 Nov 14:51
Is pushing that wee button more likely to give you Covid than pushing a shop door, a supermarket trolley, or picking up a shopping basket? How about letters and cards through your letterbox? The postie could have asymptomatic Covid......

Those are all at risk, but supermarkets are supposed to be cleaning everything and at home you can clean stuff that's delivered.

Possibly the council would have to employ someone to go round cleaning every crossing all the time, and this was the easiest, quickest, cheapest alternative.

I'd have thought a sticker advising folk to use an elbow or sleeve would have been enough, but there may be disability considerations too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 15:23

Put a sign up to use the overhead walkway ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 16:14

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 30 Nov 15:23

Put a sign up to use the overhead walkway ?

That would only alleviate the problem at one exit - besides, that might be an issue for pedestrians with a physical disability as the town side has steps to bring you back to the pavement. Alternatively, they'd have to negotiate their way past the Carnegie Hall, which is pot holed and uneven.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 16:29

Quote:

jake89, Mon 30 Nov 15:01

Smarter than you think, GG 🙂

Does anyone know why the coal road can't be widened? I'd heard years ago it was because the owner of the land on the west side refused to sell any of the land and that the Glen side is protected. Seems daft that we're still using such a narrow road.

How did the coal road find its way on to this thread? You're not as smart as I thought, Jake. 😃

I believe all the land between Dunfermline and Crossford from the Dunfermline to Alloa cycle way in the North, to the Lyne Burn in the South, belongs to Colonel Hunt, or his descendents. He/they are the owners of Logie House. The land was wanted by Bridgehead 2000 for housing but the Council opted for Tescoland in the East because the land was less arable. Bridgehead 2000 had planned to widen the Coal Road and Lovers Loan and re-route it to a new roundabout at the top of Urquhart Cut. Might still happen as more housing is planned for Dunfermline in the next 10-20 years.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 17:37

I was at the roundabout today and watched a pedestrian press the button on Carnegie drive.
So they have this automated one just at the one exit ? What’s the point?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 30 Nov 18:14

That's interesting GG. I thought nothing was to be built that way due to a commitment to retain a greenbelt between Dunfermline and Crossford. The new houses will go further down the road on Lord Elgin's land. That development is why there's lights going on the roundabout at Pitreavie. A new bridge will go over the railway line and into the new Broomhall estate. Cue to following from Michelle on the Facebook:

- upgrade the QMH
- there's not enough spaces in the school
- ah mind when this was all fields
- it's all Embra folk coming over here with their quinoa and and artisan coffees
- should be more Cooncil hooses
- trains are too busy
- I wouldn't buy a new build
- the folk in Broomhall are all snobs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 10:37

GG it’s not just Fife Council that have automated the pedestrian setting Edinburgh have also.
Driving through the city centre in the middle of the night as I do has become very frustrating, Queen St in particular, have to sit at every set of lights when nobody is out!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 11:43

Just heard Pittencrieff Street will be resurfaced for one week from 7th December.

The Coal Road will still be closed unti the middle of the month

You really couldn`t make it up

Roads department at their finest

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 11:55

Quote:

DulochConvert, Tue 1 Dec 10:37

GG it’s not just Fife Council that have automated the pedestrian setting Edinburgh have also.
Driving through the city centre in the middle of the night as I do has become very frustrating, Queen St in particular, have to sit at every set of lights when nobody is out!

I'm surprised about that.

The ones in Edinburgh I've seen are only automatic between about 9 AM and 5 PM - at least according to the big stickers on the ground. Presumably because that's when they're most used but striking a compromise between then and the situation you describe.

That's been Leith mostly, maybe different up town or maybe they just don't work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 12:34

Parsfan

It’s not just in town, the worst 2 are the junction for Sainsbury’s at Murryfield and Gyle Broadway at the shopping centre exit, where cars get about 20s then have to sit for over 2 mins.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 15:32

Lights in aberdeen at road crossings have always been in a circluar mode. Buttons to push but they have no effect.

We still have normal pedestrian crossings which do work on the button press but not instantly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 16:43

Quote:

moviescot, Tue 1 Dec 15:32

Lights in aberdeen at road crossings have always been in a circluar mode. Buttons to push but they have no effect.

We still have normal pedestrian crossings which do work on the button press but not instantly.

The only pedestrian light I know which changes instantly when you press the button is the one in Appin Crescent. If that one has been automated too, it will hack off a fair few motorists heading into and out of town past EEP.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Tue 1 Dec 21:08

Thr lights going out of Kinross toward Milnathort have been automated for at least a month. Drivers go through it on red regularly
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net