DAFC.net
Home 22 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 6 Dec 15:54

I like to support small businesses where I can. I'd rather avoid Amazon if I can and help the little guys I know genuinely care about the town. At this time of year this would involve a wee trip round the town to get various gifts. With COVID it's a wee bit different so I was looking to see which places would do delivery or orders for collection. So many are relying on Facebook to promote their business or have a website but with no ability to order online. Surely someone with the technical know-how could set something up to give local businesses an online shop for a reasonable price?

I realise this is a bit "first world problems" but it seems daft to me that I can order a takeaway with a few taps on my phone yet can't order some local gifts.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 6 Dec 16:57

Do a lot of them not use things like Amazon as an online market place?

... or eBay?

also, i realise that small businesses can use facebook as a `free` way of getting an online presence and ebay as a mechanism to sell online with no committed/upfront costs - but not everyone has facebook (i certainly don`t and know several people who had it but gave up on it a while back)

you can get a hosted website, with a simple website builder so it`s no more difficult than a facebook page plus the tools to do online shopping for a few pound a month. if businesses are going to move online and become more of a clicks and mortar with online and shop channels (and they have to) then it`s defo worth considering

Post Edited (Sun 06 Dec 17:04)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 6 Dec 17:03

Quote:

jake89, Sun 6 Dec 15:54

I like to support small businesses where I can. I'd rather avoid Amazon if I can and help the little guys I know genuinely care about the town. At this time of year this would involve a wee trip round the town to get various gifts. With COVID it's a wee bit different so I was looking to see which places would do delivery or orders for collection. So many are relying on Facebook to promote their business or have a website but with no ability to order online. Surely someone with the technical know-how could set something up to give local businesses an online shop for a reasonable price?

I realise this is a bit "first world problems" but it seems daft to me that I can order a takeaway with a few taps on my phone yet can't order some local gifts.


I think there are some towns/villages in England who have done just that. Set up a local internet site for businesses in their towns. Defo something that can be done.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sun 6 Dec 17:35

My wife has done a lot of our Xmas shopping through Etsy which I believe is mostly made up of small independent businesses.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 7 Dec 20:16

Etsy is great but tends to be more for the small scale. I'm talking about the guys with physical stores where you may want to order for delivery/collection. The ideal solution is to be able to confirm they have what you want (or not) without having to phone round the all the shops. If it's in stock then reserve for collection or order for delivery. Should be straightforward if integrated with a stock management system (all shops will/should have this).

Probably a good business opportunity for someone there. Or perhaps something the BID could have taken forward if it still existed.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Mon 14 Dec 19:08

Jake. I think you underestimate the resource required and cost of running e-commerce to any sort of reasonable measure. You reference a stock management system. I know for sure that you’re looking at one a grand just to create an API link to have a website talk to a till, plus ongoing costs. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 14 Dec 20:10

My wife makes her own jams and preserves,and uses etsy. Doing really well.Deborah bees,on Facebook. She has just been doing this for about 3 months.Great for xmas ! Have a look guy's, all homemade,and fruit grown in our garden ,and well packaged for xmas ! If you are in pars land,we will deliver free !

Post Edited (Mon 14 Dec 20:52)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 14 Dec 20:55

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Mon 14 Dec 19:08

Jake. I think you underestimate the resource required and cost of running e-commerce to any sort of reasonable measure. You reference a stock management system. I know for sure that you’re looking at one a grand just to create an API link to have a website talk to a till, plus ongoing costs. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg


Possibly. But surely listing the products you sell on a basic website along with a price list may be a start? Maybe it's just me but it feels like they're missing out.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Tue 15 Dec 00:34

My wife and I use square here in the US. Its about $35 a month plus a small % per transaction but its super easy, great website and instore experience!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: SAP PAR  
Date:   Tue 15 Dec 08:53

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Mon 14 Dec 19:08

Jake. I think you underestimate the resource required and cost of running e-commerce to any sort of reasonable measure. You reference a stock management system. I know for sure that you’re looking at one a grand just to create an API link to have a website talk to a till, plus ongoing costs. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg


Got to disagree with this. We set up an on line sweet shop using open source Oscommerce. The only outlay was the hosting and monthly fees for taking on-line payments and it was no where near £1K. That was back in 2006 when you needed a merchant bank account, to take on-line payments, which isn’t required anymore.

We took it from start-up to selling it 4 years later with a £250K annual turnover, so in my opinion you don’t have to have a large initial outlay to get started selling on-line.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 15 Dec 08:58

Noticed the new gin place opening on Bruce Street already has an online shop set up. Just a hamper right now but that's already ahead of any other independent off licence in town.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Wed 16 Dec 22:36

SAP PAR - the comment was in reference to making website talk to stock management system. This requires an API bridge, which is costly

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Independent shops missing out
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 16 Dec 23:01

I suppose if businesses feel they can't afford it then they must be fine getting by. Still seems daft to me that some independents in Dunfermline don't even have basic websites with lists of what they stock and prices. More than ever they need this stuff.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net