DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sherbrooke rosyth.
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 17 Dec 20:35

How is it,every time I pick up the press,there is another court case from there ? Have some of those people, no sense of decency.I know folk have problems,but for gods sake,to spit in a police officers face ,is beyond the pale.Have some self respect. Please don't give me the deprived rubbish, plenty of folks are hard up,but don't abuse people.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sherbrooke rosyth.
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 17 Dec 20:59

The new Fraser Avenue? Makes a change from it being the James Bank Hostel.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 17 Dec 21:48

You know Jake,your right,but folks won't admit it.Nae, morals, or respect for anyone. They feel entitled. Need braw mobile and t.v.But no interest in work. That's the truth, but you can't say that !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Dec 08:41

Don't know about that but it typically only takes one bad family to bring an area down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 18 Dec 09:56

Did Sherbrooke not used to be Naval Service accommodation at one time, seem to remember the OMO soap powder boxes on the window sills!🤔🙄🙄🙄
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 18 Dec 12:51

The dockyard used to be fine until they moved all the pikeys from Abbey View down there and the same goes for Touch. Funnily enough, Abbey View isn’t so bad now. It’s all the faux-snobs from Dulloch’s fault really.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 18 Dec 14:05

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 18 Dec 09:56

Did Sherbrooke not used to be Naval Service accommodation at one time, seem to remember the OMO soap powder boxes on the window sills!🤔🙄🙄🙄

The majority of the entire area was all forces accommodation at one point. Grampian, Ferry Toll, Forbes Road, Torridon and McGrigor were.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Dec 19:56

Quote:

General Zod, Fri 18 Dec 12:51

The dockyard used to be fine until they moved all the pikeys from Abbey View down there and the same goes for Touch. Funnily enough, Abbey View isn’t so bad now. It’s all the faux-snobs from Dulloch’s fault really.

I think this has always been the issue. People get evicted but the problem just shifts to another area. A lot of Abbeyview was replaced with Kingdom properties and I expect they've tried their best to keep the troublemakers out the new houses. People maybe don't realise that there's loads of Kingdom houses and flats on the Duloch side too.

The only people who think Duloch is posh are the Hyacinth Bucket types and people who must have come from very humble beginnings beforehand. Some big houses but mostly family homes. The real posh houses are in the town centre, and even those aren't that posh.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 18 Dec 21:15

Ahem... It's pronounced "bouquet" 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Dec 11:31

And it's pronounced Doo-loch but no-one ever pronounces it correctly despite having been born and bred in Dunfermline for 2000 generations 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Sat 19 Dec 12:19

Who made you the pronunciation police? Duh-lick

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Sat 19 Dec 14:17

It was Doo-loch farm for years before they built the Edinburgh overflow boxes and Tesco on it.

Pronounce it wrong if you want, but he's right.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 19 Dec 14:33

Quote:

Roger Daltrey, Sat 19 Dec 14:17

It was Doo-loch farm for years before they built the Edinburgh overflow boxes and Tesco on it.

Pronounce it wrong if you want, but he's right.

That's one of my pet hates. Some incomer saying they live in "Dull-och". Or pronounce Calais like the French port instead of Cale-is
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Dec 17:56

For the avoidance of any doubt:

Duloch = Doo-loch
Calaismuir = Kay-liss mewur (no need to say "woods" as Muir = wood
Dover Park is named after the Dover hedge, not because of Calaismuir.

And most of the people who get it wrong are Fifers!

Post Edited (Sat 19 Dec 17:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boomer  
Date:   Sat 19 Dec 22:41

Calais as in France was what we were told when moving into Fife to a brand new house in Calais Burn Place off Aberdour Road in 1971. From both locals and the SSHA who built them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 08:02

Never in my 38 years living in rosyth have I ever heard it being called anything other than Calais (France)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 08:48

It's 100% Kay-liss/Keh-liss. I assumed it was an incomer thing calling it Calais like the French town. Seems the locals can't even get the names right!

Not many people realise Rosyth is actually correctly pronounced as Roz-eeth, which comes from the Gaelic for Dock Yard. Only kidding 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maradona86  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 08:59

Lived in Halbeath for 38 year, always been known locally as the cut and ‘kayliss wids’ also ‘doo loch’
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 09:10

get over yourselves :)

Language and pronunciation evolves and there’s many words we all use (and everyone knows what they mean) that we don’t pronounce how our previous generations would have said them.

In fact there’s quite a lot of words where there’s two recognised ways to pronounce so we still don’t know which one will come through.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 09:33

It`s always been Kayliss and Dooloch though. Nobody accepts "Dumfermline" despite it being a common mistake.

Now, what about Crossford? For me it has ALWAYS been "Cross-ford" but some seem to pronounce as Crossfurd (one word).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 11:21

Quote:

jake89, Sat 19 Dec 11:31

And it's pronounced Doo-loch but no-one ever pronounces it correctly despite having been born and bred in Dunfermline for 2000 generations 😂

It's pronounced "Tescoland", actually.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 11:36

Does that make Pitcorthie and Calaisburn Tesco Metro Land? 😂

Any excuse for Tescoland. Word of warning, I'm not convinced he's saying "Americans" but it may just be the accent 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 12:55

Everything was always pronounced in one way before it evolved though...

But for those who know it one way Then it’s a quandary! (which was always pronounced with the second syllable being stressed to sound like kwan dairy - until it changed to what we use and understand today)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 13:12

These place names haven't evolved, it's just people can't say them correctly, probably because the estate agent told them incorrectly. Names changed in the past due to changes in the English language. Years ago Dunfermline was still Dunfermline but would be spelled Dunfermlyn no doubt (Lyn being a stream I think).

It'd be like saying it's fine to say War-sest-er because some people didn't realise it was Woo-ster.

It's not being snobby or clever, it being correct. Duloch is built on the Duloch farm lands where there is the Duloch house and the Du loch. All pronounced Doo-loch. Calaismuir has been there centuries and been played in for decades by kids from Abbeyview and Halbeath before the Duloch estate existed. They'll correctly advise it's Kay-liss.

Anyway, just away for a walk at Blaira-dam. Been their countless times but still can't find that dam 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 13:14

I moved to Kilsyth a couple of years ago and there is a village next to it called Queenzieburn.

Obviously had no idea that the Z in the middle is silent when pronouncing it and got a very much League of Gentleman "are you local ?!?!?" response the first time i said it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 13:22

That’s exactly how words do evolve though - people start saying them differently, or start using them to mean something else, regardless whatever the reason
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 13:34

Unless people correct them 😉

They wouldn't accept this nonsense in Kirkcudbright, Milngavie or Freuchie!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gun Mech par  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 14:28

Culross is a prime example, I often ask why they pronounce Duloch "Dulluch" and not Culross "Cul ross"or Loch Ness is that not luch Ness by your pronunciation, They always respond why does it matter. Eh because your saying it wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 14:51

I’ve never heard anyone pronounce it dulluch once.

I’ve heard people call it ‘dulloch’ or ‘doolloch’ ...so I think the issue is people getting upset that some people pronounce the ‘u’ as a ‘u’ instead of an ‘oo’

At the end of the day, the purpose of any word is to enable a speaker to transmit meaning in such a way that the listener can decode and interpret that same meaning... therefore if I say ‘dulloch’ and you can interpret that correctly then it’s not ‘wrong’
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 14:53

Quote:

jake89, Sun 20 Dec 11:36

Does that make Pitcorthie and Calaisburn Tesco Metro Land? 😂

Any excuse for Tescoland. Word of warning, I'm not convinced he's saying "Americans" but it may just be the accent 😉

Every day's a school day, Jake. I was blissfully unaware that there was a song of that name. Being a real smart@rse, I've always referred to Duloch as Tescoland. It usually produces a smile in the person I'm talking to, so it's probably worthwhile.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 14:56

Strathaven (straven) and Anstruther (Ainster) are another 2 that you would not have a clue how to pronounce unless you heard someone say it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:00

Is Ainster not more a nickname in the same way the Divit is the Divit?

I believe some people DO say Cull-ross and Saline becomes say-line for many. I'd hope the people who live there get it right!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:03

So that kinda proves my point.

If you said I’ll meet you in straven then I wouldn’t know where to go, so from a communication perspective it failed. If you’d pronounced it using common parlance, then I would know where to meet you and from a communication perspective it worked and was correct.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:08

Ainster is how it’s known locally much like Dulloch is known locally as Doo Loch. Both are known as they are for the same reasons here.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:12

Also Hawbeath , has become Hal-beath it seems . First heard it pronounced like that on the road traffic updates on radio Scotland years ago and it is becoming more prominent these days.

Only a matter of time before the Pars faithful are singing “ Walking down the Hal-beath road” 😱

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:19

Difference is Doo-loch is its proper name rather than a nickname. No property developer can change its name no matter how hard they try. Unless people want to start calling Springfield in the Divit "Spring Fields" because that's what Wimpey say.

Ask the school what it's called and ask the family in Duloch house where they live.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:22

Quote:

desparado, Sun 20 Dec 15:12

Also Hawbeath , has become Hal-beath it seems . First heard it pronounced like that on the road traffic updates on radio Scotland years ago and it is becoming more prominent these days.

Only a matter of time before the Pars faithful are singing “ Walking down the Hal-beath road” 😱

They're also the ones who say Crossfurd. It was always Cross-ford when I was growing up, or X-ford if you were trying to be a bit exotic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:26

Torryburn is another local one with 2 pronunciations. I have always called it Toryburn but have heard on a few occasions it being pronounced as it’s spelled.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 15:46

Have you heard outsiders say Kirkcaldy?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 16:24

You mean Kurkawdaaaay? 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 16:34

Yes Thaipar, also Fall-Kirk and For-far when the scores are read out down south.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 21:47

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 21:53

Quote:

EEP, Sun 20 Dec 21:47

To many of the tinks getting closer to Duloch imo.... all raiding our skip bins during lockdown and still at it now that we are investing in Ring Doorbells to keep them away!!

That's always going to happen. Duloch was always just an extension to Abbeyview
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Dec 22:03

Quote:

red-star-par, Sun 20 Dec 21:53

Quote:

EEP, Sun 20 Dec 21:47

To many of the tinks getting closer to Duloch imo.... all raiding our skip bins during lockdown and still at it now that we are investing in Ring Doorbells to keep them away!!

That's always going to happen. Duloch was always just an extension to Abbeyview

The eastern side actually shows as Abbeyview on Google Maps.

Nothing ever really wrong with Abbeyview. Similar to parts of Rosyth, it just takes a couple of idiots to ruin it for everyone. Wasn't that long ago that the Press was reporting of lots of issues at the houses where MFI used to be. All caused by a couple of anti-social idiots who thought it was fine to DJ in their back gardens...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 22 Dec 22:18

The “correct” pronunciation of a place will always be what the majority call it, as language and place names evolve.

Dunfermelin in 1128 was the accepted spelling, with a pronunciation e-line

Duloch is as intended, is populated by non Fife born, who have accepted Fife as our home (😘) and not getting the pronunciation leaflet when we bought our boxes we call it as written.
The chances our kids, which most houses have and will have grown up as Fifers will change there pronunciation are remote, so looks like vocabulary evolution has happened.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Dec 22:35

Are all your neighbours Edinbuggers, DulochPar? I've always found the Edinburgh overspill thing to be a bit of a myth. I think we've only the one Edinbugger couple on our street. Rest are Fifers or from further afield.

Deffo a few west coast infiltrators too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 23 Dec 01:57

Jake yeah definitely a overacting. Of the 7 houses around mine, 4 are new to Fife, however 3 of them STs,
Also they are heavy involved in their boys weekly football team.

My boy’s team 80% are pars fans, a bond that only adds as they play.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Wed 23 Dec 12:41

Growing up in Trondheim Parkway then Touch, it was always "Kellis wids" to me...

Sherbrooke was always Navy hooses, no?

Three of my aunties all married sailors, living at various times in McGrigor Rd, Tovey Rd, Linton Rd, Sherbrroke Rd & Tovey Rd again, in between postings to Portsmouth, NZ & HK.

Shame that it`s went downhill - was always a decent area when we were there playing with cousins,
not many of the kids were wee bams making trouble when the faithers were mostly hardy Navy lads.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net