DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Electric cars - anyone got a MG ZS
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 13:26

I'd quite like to have a look round one of these. Does anyone have one? Cheers.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Electric cars - anyone got a MG ZS
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 13:35

Electric cars???
ELECTRIC CARS???
Pfft... It'll never catch on min.
🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 14:35

Don't have one but suspect they're better put together than the press makes out. There's a common theme in the British motoring press whereby if it isn't a Ford Focus, it's not worth worrying about. They used to be critical of the likes of Kia and Hyundai who have both proven themselves to be incredibly reliable, and more reliable than bigger names such as Renault and VW.

My concern with all EVs is the range.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 15:04

Quote:

jake89, Tue 29 Dec 14:35

Don't have one but suspect they're better put together than the press makes out. There's a common theme in the British motoring press whereby if it isn't a Ford Focus, it's not worth worrying about. They used to be critical of the likes of Kia and Hyundai who have both proven themselves to be incredibly reliable, and more reliable than bigger names such as Renault and VW.

My concern with all EVs is the range.

I've had a diesel Kia for a couple of years. Totally reliable, more so than the Nissan it replaced. Just feels increasingly wrong to be using diesel. Or petrol.

The MG ZS I'd like to see is Chinese made, and does about 150 miles fully charged. Suits my driving pattern 99% of the time. 8cm shorter than a Qashqai, so reasonably sized.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 17:02

Nissan after Renault have been pretty pants IMO. The Qashqai seemed popular but noticed it's been replaced by the Kia Sportage as the school run car of choice. From what I've read it's because Nissan reliability has suffered a fair bit whereas the Kia is fairly bulletproof.

I've been thinking about a new car. Too poor for an EV and I'm not yet convinced by the longevity of the batteries. I've done zero research here so may be wrong. My phone is over two years old and still has much the same battery life despite me hammering it daily so expect car batteries are much the same. Difference is I'd expect a car to last a minimum of a decade. You'll change springs and brake pads in that time but not so sure about coughing up to replace a battery unit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 17:38

Quote:

jake89, Tue 29 Dec 17:02

Nissan after Renault have been pretty pants IMO. The Qashqai seemed popular but noticed it's been replaced by the Kia Sportage as the school run car of choice. From what I've read it's because Nissan reliability has suffered a fair bit whereas the Kia is fairly bulletproof.

I've been thinking about a new car. Too poor for an EV and I'm not yet convinced by the longevity of the batteries. I've done zero research here so may be wrong. My phone is over two years old and still has much the same battery life despite me hammering it daily so expect car batteries are much the same. Difference is I'd expect a car to last a minimum of a decade. You'll change springs and brake pads in that time but not so sure about coughing up to replace a battery unit.

I'm far from expert about EVs. However, the MG batteries are liquid cooled to prolong their life. The nissan leaf batteries for example aren't. Even so, there are leafs out there coming up for 10 years old with 80% battery left.

I didn't think I could afford an EV either, but you can get a pre-reg MG ZS for 20.5k. Combined with a 6 year interest free loan from the Scottish Govt, and the equity on my trade-in, it becomes do-able for me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 17:38

Bought an AM just as we went into lock down and plan was to get an EV for commuting and keep the good one as a weekend car so I did a lot of research into it and had settled on the MG all things considered with Renault Zoe being the fall back. (Since I am unlikely to ever be back in the office more than a day a fortnight ever again the plan never progressed)

I had a Zoe when I had my last AM a couple years back as they were giving them away when they came out (£100 down and £100 a month plus £60 battery rental was less than the fuel I would use driving to the train station never mind the rest of the cost) and was very very happy with it. EV’s are a joy to drive and I used to take it to Edinburgh and it was like a stress free commuter bubble.

Reason I sided for the MG was despite the reduced range compared new Zoe it is much cheaper and more than enough range for any standard reason I would use it including away games for football and the size is decent for golf clubs and trolleys. The infotainment system is meant to be fiddly but the pano roof on the exclusive was desirable.

Scottish gov have a scheme where you will get an interest free loan for up to 6 years for an EV or an ex demonstrator with less than 5k on the clock. The ex demo clause meant if you shopped around you can get a heavily discounted price.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 20:54

One down the road from me really well built and well made car ... the couple are really happy with it

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 29 Dec 22:45

The price of electric cars,to me is un affordable. How do people afford them ? Next car will be a petrol, can't see any sense in buying electric,I would be terrified, that I would get stranded.

Post Edited (Tue 29 Dec 22:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 00:04

Plug--in hybrids are a good bet for most folks at the moment - best of all worlds. Can do conventional long-distance driving, local journeys on full electric, and (in mine at least) when you put the foot down you get the benefit of both petrol and electric to make things go very swiftly :) And you get about £800 on grants towards the installation of a home charge point.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 03:36

Quote:

twin par, Tue 29 Dec 22:45

The price of electric cars,to me is un affordable. How do people afford them ? Next car will be a petrol, can't see any sense in buying electric,I would be terrified, that I would get stranded.

Post Edited (Tue 29 Dec 22:48)

The range on these things are a couple hundred miles now so you would have to blunder pretty badly to get stranded.

They are expensive up front but your ‘fuel’ cost that you would face with a petrol car is tiny (and zero if you have access to free charging at your place of work) plus vehicle tax can be negligible (still get hit for luxury versions) so it all depends on how far you are travelling. Depending on your situation car + road tax + fuel can easily be more than car + electricity cost. Also as I mentioned above gov interest free loan contributes as well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 03:39

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Wed 30 Dec 00:04

Plug--in hybrids are a good bet for most folks at the moment - best of all worlds. Can do conventional long-distance driving, local journeys on full electric, and (in mine at least) when you put the foot down you get the benefit of both petrol and electric to make things go very swiftly :) And you get about £800 on grants towards the installation of a home charge point.

Had a Panamera eHybrid as last car and you are correct. Electric range was only 15-20 miles depending on weather and work was 18 miles so would charge at home and work and use negligible fuel on the commute. Petrol bill each month was c£40 mainly from monkeying about at weekends.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 05:03

Quote:

P, Wed 30 Dec 03:39

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Wed 30 Dec 00:04

Had a Panamera eHybrid as last car and you are correct. Electric range was only 15-20 miles depending on weather and work was 18 miles so would charge at home and work and use negligible fuel on the commute. Petrol bill each month was c£40 mainly from monkeying about at weekends.

Ooh, nice motor. And yep, I think I've only been to the pump a couple of times since March due to mostly local journeys punctuated with a handful of longer distance trips. The petrol tank is lined to prevent the petrol going off!

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 08:35

My pal Denis has just got a Hyundai electric car with his job and he says it is self charging This has to be the way to go surely Or am I missing something ??

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 10:06

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 30 Dec 08:35

My pal Denis has just got a Hyundai electric car with his job and he says it is self charging This has to be the way to go surely Or am I missing something ??

I don't think you get self charging electric. You get self charging hybrids.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 11:47

sorry moviescot it is a hybrid

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 18:24

If you want superb mpg figures, you need a plug-in hybrid (not self-charging), and of course you need to charge it up at every opportunity. Always amuses me when car adverts make a big plus of a self-charging hybrid, when all that means is marginally better economy than a pure fuel-burner. And anyhow, plug-in hybrids self-charge also.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 18:33

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Wed 30 Dec 18:24

If you want superb mpg figures, you need a plug-in hybrid (not self-charging), and of course you need to charge it up at every opportunity. Always amuses me when car adverts make a big plus of a self-charging hybrid, when all that means is marginally better economy than a pure fuel-burner. And anyhow, plug-in hybrids self-charge also.[/quote

But of course hybrids are not going to be supported. Only full electric vehicles will be allowed in the future
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Dec 18:41

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 30 Dec 18:33

Quote:

Milos Drizzle, Wed 30 Dec 18:24

If you want superb mpg figures, you need a plug-in hybrid (not self-charging), and of course you need to charge it up at every opportunity. Always amuses me when car adverts make a big plus of a self-charging hybrid, when all that means is marginally better economy than a pure fuel-burner. And anyhow, plug-in hybrids self-charge also.[/quote

But of course hybrids are not going to be supported. Only full electric vehicles will be allowed in the future

Indeed, but I think we are still some way off that (unless the Government force the issue, of course). I fully expect my next car to be another PHEV, but maybe after that full electric will be properly viable.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net