DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Honours system
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 07:30

Always been a joke but why is a tax dodger getting knighted? What a joke.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Honours system
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 07:54

Quote:

jake89, Thu 31 Dec 07:30

Always been a joke but why is a tax dodger getting knighted? What a joke.

Which tax dodger are you specifically talking about.
If it's who I think then he lives in Monaco so technically could pay zero tax to the UK but is still in the top 5000 tax payers to the UK.
If you are referring to the VAT he avoided on a private jet he bought through the Isle of Man he was investigated over this and was cleared of any wrongdoing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 09:22

Yep, it's him but not unique to him. Seems every year another bundle get honoured for avoiding tax whilst hard working people doing good for this country and their communities are lucky to get a passing mention.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 11:36

I don't like the guy. Never have. F1 isn't a sport anyway.

He should hand his award to a real hero like Rob Burrows.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 11:56

He's done well but I don't see why someone who actively avoids tax should be knighted. Not unique to him but he's the latest example. Top UK earner yet *only* in the top 5000 taxpayers (which is actually his Mercedes team rather than him as an individual). Loads of the F1 drivers are the same.

That aside, it seems out-dated for awarding people for simply being good at something. Surely better to award people who have given something back to society?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 12:04

Jake over 800 people have been honoured for serving their local communities. If the headline were to say "Pulbican Caroline Halfhide Receives MBE" it doesn`t quite grab the eye as much as "Lewis Hamilton Receives Knighthood".
Does anyone really care though when these celebrities and sport people get these honours though? It doesn`t actually tell you anything about the character of the individual.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 12:16

Interesting perspective here - https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-one/lewis-hamilton-knighthood-tax-how-much-monaco-net-worth-f1-762301

I suppose we are all tax dodgers if we get an agreeable tradesman to do a "homer" and pay cash in hand.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 12:34

Hadn't realised all his charity work, VEE. Good on him for that. Does still seem highly suspect that he just happens to be based in Monaco though. Why not Cannes or Nice?

Cash in hand is worse as your commiting fraud rather than simply avoiding taxation through a loophole. I realise no-one enjoys giving the government money, but if everyone started being creative with their tax then how would schools, hospitals and care homes be paid for? All these celebs are at it. Yes, it's not illegal to utilise loopholes, but it's hardly ethical.

Post Edited (Thu 31 Dec 12:34)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 12:36

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 31 Dec 12:04

Jake over 800 people have been honoured for serving their local communities. If the headline were to say "Pulbican Caroline Halfhide Receives MBE" it doesn`t quite grab the eye as much as "Lewis Hamilton Receives Knighthood".
Does anyone really care though when these celebrities and sport people get these honours though? It doesn`t actually tell you anything about the character of the individual.

Good on Caroline. She really deserved the recognition 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 13:04

Quote:

jake89, Thu 31 Dec 12:34

Hadn't realised all his charity work, VEE. Good on him for that. Does still seem highly suspect that he just happens to be based in Monaco though. Why not Cannes or Nice?

Cash in hand is worse as your commiting fraud rather than simply avoiding taxation through a loophole. I realise no-one enjoys giving the government money, but if everyone started being creative with their tax then how would schools, hospitals and care homes be paid for? All these celebs are at it. Yes, it's not illegal to utilise loopholes, but it's hardly ethical.

If the accountants didn't offer these "services " they wouldn't get much work, strange that the "Paradise Papers " disappeared?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 13:15

"Hadn`t realised all his charity work, VEE"

A few years back Barry Ferguson was awarded an MBE - I questioned the grounds assuming it was for his fitba` achievements.

Then it became apparent that it was for charity work that he did - I never had a scooby doo that he was involved.

The whole system surrounding honours needs a root and branch overhaul IMO.

That said, many awards are handed out to "ordinary" punters for what they`ve done in the community etc.

Quite a few get gongs for work and/or achievements in their jobs or professions - where they have gone above and beyond etc.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 13:49

I assumed Ferguson got his for agreeing to work in Kelty. 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 14:06

Quote:

jake89, Thu 31 Dec 12:34

Only the poor pay taxes..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 15:31

Barry Ferguson got his award to even up the old firm balance after henrik larsson got his. The charity work was the official reason as he hadn’t done enough as a footballer to merit it. You can bet your bottom dollar there are thousands of people up and down the country whose charity work is more worthy of recognition than him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 16:17

Really ?

Two friends of mine have received honours - nominations require to be backed by supportive evidence before they even proceed for consideration. Then closely analysed before being recommended.

Ferguson presumably ticked the boxes, regardless of his professional career.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 16:22

When you see the rogues gallery of absolute scumbags who have been honoured in the past then I wouldn`t give such a vetting process too much credit.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Dec 19:13

Well, it would need questioned how the likes of Phillip Green got knighted! Services to retail?! Where's the knighthood for Mike Ashley then? An equally odious man but presumably doesn't fit the mould?

I've no issue with people getting recognition for good work (our own Steaua being a great example) but getting knighted for simply doing your job seems daft to me. Maybe I'm a miserable git as I say the same about our office awards. Jamie gets an award for successfully delivering a project. That's what he's paid to do!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net