DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Get your skates on
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:22

A lot of Dunfermline is like an ice rink. Please be careful

Pitreavie Industrial Estate is the same. We have already had an accident when someone skidded into another on a sheet of ice

Courier driver has said the whole estate is like this

Some bins couldn`t be emptied the other day as the roads were dangerous for the bin men

No ****, Sherlock

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Get your skates on
Topic Originator: Stoo  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:30

Aye, whats going on?

I`ve been away for many of the last 10 winters. Theres no grit boxes in our street any more (out lying village) and its been left, as you say, like an ice rink. No gritters up here, bins left uncollected. I watched the bin lorry try and fail to make it up the street.

I mean, its a mild inconvenience to me, but do we not get these services anymore?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:32

I thought this would be another post about the panic buying of bog roll & pasta by all the usual half-wit mutants......

Imagine my disappointment etc...…….

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 10:41

Fife Council have never, ever gritted our street so I'm completely used to it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 11:34

Wouldn`t be so bad if every street had a grit box that was topped out, then I`m sure the residents could do their bit

Big artic stuck on Pitreavie Crescent. Couriers all running late and a few have been down on their backsides already

It`s not like the cold snap has come out of the blue? Every year we complain about the same thing

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 11:55

Only certain streets have grit bins, that decision was made a while ago. There is form online at fife council if a bin is needed refilled.
If not happy at no bin near by contact local councillor who agreed to decisions re bins in the first place.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:57

The bins were taken away a couple of years ago. I got ours out back but it's empty apart from dog poo bags and Monster Energy cans. There's seemingly a wholesale place in Pitreavie doing big bags of salt but no danger of getting down there without falling on your backside or skidding off the road.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 12:59

The utter stupidity of cutting back on gritting services. Other Council services - bins, home care etc. can’t function normally. Post deliveries suffer (and they were bad enough over Xmas as Royal Mail management couldn’t foresee the extra demand and took on only 10 casual workers for the whole of West Fife). A&E and Minor Injury Units suffer due to the extra demand caused by trips and falls. Patients can’t make outpatient appointments and I’m sure there are plenty more examples.
Frontline workers are doing a great job but their senior management - many of whom have probably never worked in the real world but who have swallowed a book on management theory - let them down.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 14:07

Problem is that Fife Council don't run the NHS. Few people fall and hurt themselves and they shrug their shoulders at the cost to the NHS.

I think something that needs to be made clear us just how much council tax is spent on servicing debt. There was a report a few years back suggesting it was something like 50%. Remember though that council tax only makes up arounda third of the council budget, but that's still a hell of a lot of money. So when I hand over the best part of £300 quid, I may as well burn half of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 5 Jan 17:22

On a cycle I met the guy from Fife council who looks after flooding in the whole of Fife. There is only a single team to deal with ALL of Fife. When it gets like that then job satisfaction would be hard to come by. I feel for people in those positions as they can only do what they can do, especially if Joe Public gives them grief.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 21:12

Jake89 is that £300 for the year or month ? .... We are £274 a month here :(

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 21:17

Me and the neeburs have gritted our cul de sac and i did pavements today. Our grit box wasn’t topped up from last winter so we had to use the little which was there. I went oot with the table salt on our drive.

Be careful everyone. Take care.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 22:11

We're £272, BPP. Fife Council is around 2.5bn in debt.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Jan 22:22

Wow jake89 that is a huge debt .. Can you check East Lothian for me ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 09:04

Can't find anything on East Lothian. There used to be a spreadsheet. I'm sure Edinburgh was the most in debt, then Glasgow, then Fife. Not surprising given they're the three biggest councils in Scotland.

A lot of this debt is in LOBOs, which are a bit controversial. My understanding is that councils used to be able to to get loans from the government. This stopped se years ago, which led to some dodgy loans being taken out.

I'm a person who likes to save my money before buying something so all this debt doesn't sit comfortably with me, especially as it appears to be being serviced rather than paid off.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 09:09

Thanks for that jake89

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 09:25

Can’t criticise Clacks that much - we have grit bins at each end of street and they are kept reasonably well stocked.

I mind struggling back from Dalgety Bay in deep snow a few years ago - not a grittier in sight until we reached Kilbagie roundabout where two vehicles from were working in unison clearing roads here.

Of course, being small does help !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Jan 09:28

I genuinely have no idea why Clacks stills exists. They merged all the Fife Districts and Regional council but maintained a council that looks after fewer people than we have in Dunfermline alone.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Jan 21:26

Be careful tomorrow, folks. Plenty snow forecast and was already pretty slippy getting home this evening

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 08:47

Came down the coal road this morning in first gear. Cars already struggling to go up.
Got stopped at Nethertown Broad street lights and struggled to move off.

Treacherous out there. Don`t think roads have been salted

Take care and I would avoid the coal road for now

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 09:31

Just came up the coal road. I had a clear road in front of me and was fine. The two cars that were behind me never made it

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 09:37

It is time the Scottish Government allowed councils to start raising council tax levels again so they can start paying off this debt faster and continue to provide decent standards of social care.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Al  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 10:31

Before they raise it any further they need to rebase everything to new bands. Estimating the value of properties back to 1992 is a nonsense. How can a 2 bed mid terrace with no driveway or garage in Duloch be in the same band as a 3 bed semi in Pitcorthie which has 2 extensions, driveway, garage and much bigger garden.

New builds are hit hard with the current setup and it`s time it was sorted out.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 10:49

That`s a valid point but arguably the people buying new builds know the council tax banding they are buying. Also it would be an across the board tax rise for every band not just those in the higher tiers.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 21:19

Quote:

Pars Al, Mon 8 Feb 10:31

Before they raise it any further they need to rebase everything to new bands. Estimating the value of properties back to 1992 is a nonsense. How can a 2 bed mid terrace with no driveway or garage in Duloch be in the same band as a 3 bed semi in Pitcorthie which has 2 extensions, driveway, garage and much bigger garden.

New builds are hit hard with the current setup and it`s time it was sorted out.

Agree with this, it's bonkers and reeks of "doing it cos we can get away with it". Not to mention that Pitcorthie and the likes get free communal ground maintenance.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Feb 18:38

Local authorities already can and do raise council taxes. Maximum of 3% though I'm sure they hammered us a few years back by ramping it up on the higher bands.

As others have mentioned, the council tax bands are a bit daft. I've just done a quick search and found annolder house that has more bedrooms than my house, significant grounds, an extra living space and an extra bathroom. Selling for around £150k more than my house is worth. It's the same tax band.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net