DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Broadband
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 15:24

Coming towards the end of my current broadband deal
Got sky superfast currently and finding it to be pretty poor so looking to change.
What's folks opinions on best providers currently?
Was looking at BT, Vodafone or Virgin, Virgin seems to be quite expensive compared to others though
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Broadband
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 15:40

We got Vodafone 68mb fibre last May for £23 a month. Best price I could find at the time and seems fine. We've got 3 kids using it all the time for Xboxes and streaming as well as us watching netflix etc.
Thinking about getting shot of the house phone altogether and just keeping the line for broadband cause it's all marketing calls or scam calls.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 16:59

Virgin will be cable to your house so will be super quick, but as you say, you'll pay for it.

The others as far as I'm aware, will probably resell you the line you already have. If it's already at it's peak performance, changing supplier might not make it quicker, if speed is the concern.

I was on a 35mb package with talktalk. Always got that speed, solid connection. Contract expired, so I went onto a 65mb deal with them again, for less money, but only saw an increase to about 42mb, as that's all the line can support.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 17:21

I have Talktalk broadband and phone. £23 per month. Speeds up to 65mb. Usually get between 49mb and 65mb. Been with them since 2001 and I have lost the connection twice in that time.
When contract is due to renew I get on their chat and negotiate a new deal. Never paid more than £25 per month.
In Aberdeen we can also get vodafone gigafast broadband. 900mb but it costs £45 per month. Too expensive for me.
Talk talk will soon be offering this speed here so will check it out when it becomes available.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 17:37

Same here moviescot talk talk faster fibre, plus box, plus phone been with them for 20 + years .... back when it was tiscali for e-mails etc.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 17:40

Vodafone for £23. No issues.

Couldn't pay me to go back to Virgin. Good speeds...when it works. Hopeless customer care.

For those on the typical 60-70mb, Openreach have been upgrading lines round Dunfermline so you may soon be able to get GB broadband.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 17:45

Cheers for input folks
Will have a look at talk talk and see what they offer and compare with bt and Vodafone.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 18:30

Depending on what you are looking for cheapest, fastest or best value.

Virgin is definitely the fastest, we average 217meg, the change over from sky full package also saved us £20 a month and gave us BT sport, only channel we lost was Sky Atlantic, which we could if inclined get again with a NowTv which is £8.99

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Thu 21 Jan 18:49

I have EE for broadband at £27 a month and I get 5Gb extra data on my phone with it.Not had any problems with it but see loads of messages about people having broadband problems on Virgin.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 09:39

Really comes down to cost and customer service levels.

The majority of companies resell the line through the openreach network, ie BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone so speeds will be very very similar regardless of provider.

What to watch for is some companies reduce speeds at peak times due to the amount of people using it so first thing in the morning, dinner time and early evening.

Virgin use there own technology and will be Fibre to the property rather than the cabinet so speeds are better but can be more expensive.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 09:41

I'm fairly sure Duloch is pretty much all fibre to premises as they put it in by default rather than copper lines.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 11:22

Sadly not the case. A lot of the Duloch estates were built 2000-2010 and these have been getting the fibre cabinets installed at the ends of the streets for the last few years.
Someone cocked up the arrangements when my mother-in-law's phase of the estate next to the M90 was getting built 3 years ago and she had no access to fibre. After a while the mp got involved and bt installed fttp then duly demanded a huge monthly cost for the first year as they were the only provider.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 13:42

We were built around 2005 and are fibre. The OpenReach engineer told me "the whole area" was but he maybe just meant round our street.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 16:37

I`ve done some speed checks on my talktalk and they say I`m getting 35Mbs which is not great

Their website says renew your fibre and get 67Mbs what will they do to increase the speed to my house ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:13

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 23 Jan 16:37

I`ve done some speed checks on my talktalk and they say I`m getting 35Mbs which is not great

Their website says renew your fibre and get 67Mbs what will they do to increase the speed to my house ?

I must be on the same package as you BP as I have similar speeds. I have two teenagers using Xbox and phones, me using streaming services (sometimes uhd) and I rarely have any issues. TalkTalk upselling me a faster broadband seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:17

Buspasspar...They'll just remove the speed limit on your line. Problem is, unless your line can support it, you'll not necessarily get 67mb, unless your line is good enough. I did the same thing with talk talk, and went from 35 to 42.

Post Edited (Sat 23 Jan 17:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:41

Thanks allparone and parforthecourse

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 17:46

Just make sure your test is done with a device that's connected to the router with a cable otherwise the result isn't as clear cut over WiFi.

Post Edited (Sat 23 Jan 17:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 18:55

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 23 Jan 17:41

Thanks allparone and parforthecourse

Have you checked what WiFi channel you are on. Some are busier than others which can slow your speed. BT use a system that find the best channel without you having to do anything but this is not always accurate. Talktalk also have a similar smart router which switches channels. I check it regularly and especially if the speed seems to drop. I have changed it manually on several occasions.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 19:01

Thats interesting moviescot..... How do I do that ....make it simple for the auld man :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oakley_pars  
Date:   Sat 23 Jan 22:10

SHP

Since you will have taken your last Sky contract they have upgraded there Hub and now offer guaranteed WiFi in every room in the house. The hardware upgrade has made a huge difference to connectivity and stability

it only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 10:37

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 23 Jan 19:01

Thats interesting moviescot..... How do I do that ....make it simple for the auld man :)

First thing to do is to download a WiFi analyzer. You get these on play store for Android or the apple store. It will tell you what channel you are on and how busy it is.
If it's busy you can go into your router and change your channel.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jan 11:49

thanks moviescot

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 00:29

I used to supervise the new build sites for BT back in the 90`s when fibre to the premises wasn`t a thing but forward planning was.

Every new house would have a duct line to the outside wall so BT can and do now offer full fibre to the premises in many areas just by rodding and roping the duct and pulling in a fibre replacement. My house was built in 2009 and it has copper but I find Fibre to the cabinet gives me enough for my domestic use. The option to upgrade is there for me if required.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 07:50

Quote:

Bouncer, Tue 26 Jan 00:29

I used to supervise the new build sites for BT back in the 90`s when fibre to the premises wasn`t a thing but forward planning was.

Every new house would have a duct line to the outside wall so BT can and do now offer full fibre to the premises in many areas just by rodding and roping the duct and pulling in a fibre replacement. My house was built in 2009 and it has copper but I find Fibre to the cabinet gives me enough for my domestic use. The option to upgrade is there for me if required.

I stay in duloch and had a letter through a couple of weeks ago about BT coming to check the ducts in advance of offering full fibre to the premises I think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 08:21

Openreach have been round Duloch in the past few weeks.

I checked my top possible speeds and I can get upto 900mb but would need to switch supplier. I'm in the middle of a contract so won't be doing that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 20:48

I'm out of contract with BT and they are absolutely fleecing me but I don't want to risk changing and being without service while the whole family are working/learning from home.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Jan 20:58

Quote:

Jeffery, Tue 26 Jan 20:48

I'm out of contract with BT and they are absolutely fleecing me but I don't want to risk changing and being without service while the whole family are working/learning from home.

Pretty sure all providers deal with the switch for you, so you shouldn't lose service

Post Edited (Tue 26 Jan 20:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Jan 08:13

See the switchover to be on a weekend. Disruption shouldn't be any more than a few hours.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net