DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Empty hooses
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 15:48

Been reading that a Fife Council official has won an award for helping to turn 400 privately owned empty properties back into use, by tracing owners, advising on renovation etc. Good for her.

It’s a while since I walked to my Doc in Inverkeithing, but am always intrigued about a couple of properties on Church St; a boarded up cottage and a bit further along quite a sizeable stone built villa.

They both look quite sound. Why empty for so long though?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Empty hooses
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 16:39

There's a house behind that cottage on Church Street. It's got fairly large grounds but the access appears quite questionable as it's down a dirt track that runs between the council garages further up the hill. It was on the market 3 or so years ago for very little.

It's quite sad to see houses left empty when there are people desperate for homes. I don't just mean homeless people. People looking to live near family or in the place they grew up but can't.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 17:31

I thought this was going to be about certain posters who could cause an argument in one of these.
Imagine my disappointment ........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 19:39

Sometimes empty houses are a cause of infighting with families in executry cases. Properties which were meant to be sold off per a Will instruction are held up by families intent on moving in themselves. Other times it can be divorce settlements, title disputes, land and soil problems, etc.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 22:21

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 22:49

Not funny using playground name calling.Most of us grew out of this when we got past 10 but I suppose brains develop at different rates.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Feb 22:54

Were they all council houses EEP? If so, it may be they didn't meet the minimum standards now required of council homes. The new standards are why so many old council or SHA houses have been reclad with insulation in the past few years. I'd imagine they offer the privately owned ones a deal to get done at the same time but you can see some at Pitcorthie that haven't.

If you look round council estates it's often obvious which ones are NOT council as they've still got the same doors, windows and kitchens the council fitted in the 80s. Not sure if it's a big problem in Fife but areas of Edinburgh were bad for having ex-Council properties now owned by slum landlords (Stenhouse is notorious for it).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 10:37

I was in Aberdour yesterday and was thinking the opposite of what Jake89 just said. The reason I thought this was that the roof was being replaced on a house on a Sunday. I thought ok that must be privately owned. From that I looked at the doors/ windows and took a guess at what was privately owned. I actually thought the old doors would have been council. But how would I know? It would be a really interesting topic of discussion as when a house is poorly maintained it really shows up in the neighbourhood if all else is done.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 10:45

Unkempt homes in Aberdour?!

I'd doubt there are any still owned by the council down there. Is it bit just the one street of council houses? I remember looking at one a few years ago. Most are still the dark roughcast.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 10:53

I think it is the same cup de sac street we are talking about. A bit like the land that time forgot.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 8 Feb 10:59

The way I read it is that this is about private properties that have been empty for a good few years at least, and some detective work is required to trace the owner.
No idea how long the Inverkeithing ones have been boarded up - anyone from around there know?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JohnnyW  
Date:   Wed 10 Feb 09:52

Anyone know what the situation is with the old Blossoms Chinese restaurant building in the town? Absolute eyesore, was on fire a couple of years ago and left with the windows in the flats open or broken.

Such a waste could be turned into decent flats and a good spot for a cafe.

It was up for auction about 5 years ago but then got removed, then was up for sale and then the board got removed and nothing has happened with it.

Post Edited (Wed 10 Feb 09:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 10 Feb 10:06

Quote:

JohnnyW, Wed 10 Feb 09:52

Anyone know what the situation is with the old Blossoms Chinese restaurant building in the town? Absolute eyesore, was on fire a couple of years ago and left with the windows in the flats open or broken.

Such a waste could be turned into decent flats and a good spot for a cafe.

It was up for auction about 5 years ago but then got removed, then was up for sale and then the board got removed and nothing has happened with it.

Maybe contact a famous local alleged developer.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JohnnyW  
Date:   Wed 10 Feb 10:17

Oh really? Does he own that one? Thought his portfolio got sold off by the administrators?

------------------------------------------------------------
Best tweet ever:

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Wed 10 Feb 10:40

Walked past the two buldings mentioned in the original post this morning. The larger building is still unoccupied and has steel shutters on the windows and doors. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. The cottage next door is occupied and is being renovated - new roof and walls being plastered.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 10 Feb 11:04

Quote:

JohnnyW, Wed 10 Feb 10:17

Oh really? Does he own that one? Thought his portfolio got sold off by the administrators?

He certainly used to own what was above it, oh believe me he wasn't high nearly as hard as he should have been.
If only people knew how much the council gave him.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Feb 11:55

The problem is that these buildings go to auction, get bought fairly cheaply and then bunged back on the market at a higher price. That was the case with the Registrar's (now owned by someone developing it), Pilmuir Works, At Margaret's Works, the old council building at Comely Park and various others. The old Oakley bowling club land was bought at auction a few months ago. Straight back on at a far higher price. Same with the land over the road from the White Gates. Big plot went to auction, now subdivided for sale again.

There's nothing illegal in it but something needs done about land/property banking. The council is one of the worst offenders. It's owned the co-op site for around 20 years. They built the bus station and did a bang average job of landscaping the rest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 11 Feb 14:58

auldpar - I think the Church used to own the one that is still boarded up

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net