DAFC.net
Home 16 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Orient (Robins) Cinema
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 09:22

It's had scaffolding on it since before Christmas and looks like it's getting worked on. Does anyone know what they're doing? I was hoping the cinema group would be able to get it but they're moving into the old Watt and Dewar building.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Orient (Robins) Cinema
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 21:48

Looks like roofing work, it was in a bad way with vegetation growing. Chances are it`s been leaking for years and has been damaged.

It was leaking in the early 90s when I worked there!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 07:48

Could explain what looked like a clear out of the interior. Would have thought the roof would have been done when the Marr brothers converted it into a sports bar and strip club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 08:34

In terms of it being a cinema again, anything is possible. But as it stands there is nothing of the cinema left.

It would need a lot of investment and work.

However, it can be done successfully, the Birks in Aberfeldy is a great example of how to use the space more efficeintly in modern times.

Never say never.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 08:53

The Birks is a great space. Good for parents just wanting a space to get coffee/juice with wee ones. The difference between Dunfermline and Aberfeldy is that the Birks is the only cinema in the town. Dunfermline has a multiplex and will soon have an art house cinema in the town centre. Not sure the town could support a third cinema.

It's going to be an interesting time for town centres. There's been resistance to change for years but now COVID has really accelerated things.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 14:27

One of the longer term proposals is for the Dunfermline Cinema Project to operate the cinema on East Port. That of course relies on being able to aquire it and fund the work.

I mention the Birks because it`s an example of a smaller town which managed it.

Montrose are converting an old swimming pool into their cinema.

We shall see. It`s all vapour at the moment.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 15:00

It'd be great if they could get it. The Ironmongers I expect will really be more of a small performance area that just happens to have a screen and projector.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Mon 1 Mar 17:29

Used to have to go to Aberfeldy with work, the birks is almost a community hub.A shining example of what can be achieved.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 2 Mar 12:37

Jake89 and shrek par,

Both nails hit on the head.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Doves  
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 15:32

The old Debenhams site would make a good multiplex. A nice Vue or Cineworld to get folk into town and ruin the astonishingly expensive Odeon at the motorway.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 18:02

It would make total sense but probably expensive to rework it all. I've always felt the biggest issue at the Kingsgate is not owning that carpark. APCOA were charging silly money.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net