DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Facebook Scam?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 17:43

I don't have Facebook as I don't even have enough time to mind my own business never mind everybody else's.

My better half got an email this morning saying Facebook had noticed that she'd had a problem accessing her account this morning before she was even up and to click on a link if it wasn't her. I told her to ignore it as it's probably a preamble to a scam.

Anyone had anything similar?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Facebook Scam?
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 17:50

Get stuff like this all the time. There are usually plenty of signs that it`s fake. Poor spelling and grammar, usually addressed to` dear customer` instead of addressing you by name and the email address of the sender can all help. If in any doubt don`t click on the link but independently go to the site in question.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 18:09

Report it to facebook.
They have to take it seriously if someone is using their name to defraud

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 18:20

phish@fb.com.

You can forward it to the above address. How seriously they take it is another matter.Personally I just turn a blind eye as I would be reporting at least one a week!
I think there are around 135 million phishing e-mails sent every day. Must be impossible to police as all the perpetrators do is set up another email address. Having previously worked in a bank you would struggle to believe how common it is and how many people still fall for them despite all the warnings.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 20:30

Literally never had one of these in all the time I've been on Facebook. Regularly changing your password is a good thing to do.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 20:49

I`ve had them and I`m not on Facebook so pretty easy for me to determine they are fake :) tv Licensing, DPD and DVLA are other common ones.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 21:34

There’s always loads of signs in scam emails but your opening gambit is to click on the email address (behind the mask that it is presented as) and see what it is as 99.9% it’s gibberish, very rarely will they make up an email that even matches their scam of the day.

Safe to say anyone asking you to click through to anything you need to populate with any personal data at all is at it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 23:26

Quote:

P, Thu 04 Mar 21:34

There’s always loads of signs in scam emails but your opening gambit is to click on the email address (behind the mask that it is presented as) and see what it is as 99.9% it’s gibberish, very rarely will they make up an email that even matches their scam of the day.

Safe to say anyone asking you to click through to anything you need to populate with any personal data at all is at it

That would be a right click to view the properties, not a left click

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 07:27

Getting HMRC`s calls regularly.
Automated voice.
Hang up and block number- usually from a mobile number

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gem 1977  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 08:24

There's a dodgy Royal Mail text doing the rounds as well. Received this yesterday

Royal Mail: Your package has a £2 shipping fee, to pay this now visit royalmail-pay-fee.com/. Package will be returned to sender if unpaid.

Here's to the first of the day, fellas! To old D.H. Lawrence.
Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 08:33

I’ve had a new one the last couple of days in that a phone number for Malaga keeps calling so googled the number to see what the ‘who’s calling me’ sites had to say and it was a wangiri scam. One ring and drop and when you call back you get hammered with charges.

Basically trust nothing

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 16:29

Thanks for all the illuminating replies, folks. The offending message was deleted shortly after it appeared. :-)

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Fri 5 Mar 22:52

Quote:

Gem 1977, Fri 5 Mar 08:24

There's a dodgy Royal Mail text doing the rounds as well. Received this yesterday

Royal Mail: Your package has a £2 shipping fee, to pay this now visit royalmail-pay-fee.com/. Package will be returned to sender if unpaid.

I had that as well and nearly fell for it, as I was expecting a package from Germany. Filled in my details and then it asked for payment. Dawned on me, how did they get my phone number. Stopped, had a look online and found out that it was a scam. Very close

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net