DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Marvin Hagler (D)
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 14 Mar 00:51

Another death in the sporting world. RiP

I’ve had enough of the news tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56390270

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Marvin Hagler (D)
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 14 Mar 07:12

This is very sad. I really liked Marvin Hagler - he was, without question, one of the greatest boxers in my 60 odd years on this planet. I recall his fight with Alan Minter in 1980 so clearly. The racial overtones were clear for all to see- Minter wasn’t having a black man taking his crown. Hagler subsequently cut Minter to pieces, and the crowd trouble that ensued was one of the real low points for boxing in the UK.

Hagler’s fight with Thomas Hearns was one for the ages. It’s on You Tube for anyone who either hasn’t seen it, or wants to see it again. Then there was Hagler’s ‘defeat’ by Sugar Ray Leonard, himself a legendary figure in the sport. For my money, the best I can say is that Hagler was, to put it mildly, hard done by. A no lesser figure that the late Hugh McIlvanney agreed with me, and he said so openly and very memorably in a candid interview with Sugar Ray.

Really rotten news this - farewell Marvin, and thanks for everything. RIP champ.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 14 Mar 08:11

The opening round of that fight with Hearns in 1985 was the greatest ever. Hagler stopped him in the third.
I remember watching the Leonard fight. Leonard won by staying out of trouble and landing jabs. None of the jabs had any effect on Hagler though.
Hagler was so disgusted with the outcome that he never fought again

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 14 Mar 08:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 14 Mar 09:23

The greatest in his era .........the Hagler v Duran fight always sticks in my mind
RIP .... Marvellous Marvin

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 14 Mar 09:24

Just watched the Hearns fight. Hagler was relentless. Just kept moving forward.
Eta; as a slight aside I noticed one of the YouTube videos titled the Hearns fight as the most explosive ever. In my opinion that accolade belongs to the Morales v Barrera first fight.

Post Edited (Sun 14 Mar 09:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 14 Mar 17:50

Marvin Hagler had to wait rather long to get a shot at the title. Joe Frazier had warned him: one, you`re black; two, you`re a southpaw; and three, you`re good. He was good all right and held the tile for around seven years. I don`t think he was ever knocked down. When Tony Sibson fought Hagler he said later that after the first minute he realised he was probably in the wrong place.

sammer
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net