DAFC.net
Home 16 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Calling Dotnet Athletes
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 3 Apr 13:36

When I took part in marathons and half marathons, I used to include hill reps, as well as shorter and longer runs, in my training. When I developed stable angina symptoms about 12 years ago, I toned my running down, sticking to fairly short flat runs of around 45 mins, every other day.

A few months ago, I bought a smart watch, which allows me to monitor my heart rate while running. I decided to try some hill reps again, a not too steep incline about 100m , "sprinting" up, walking down x 6, by which time I'm knackered. I'm getting on a bit.🙂

Now here's the odd bit - when I'm out jogging my heart rate is around 140 bpm. When I do the hill reps, it comes down, as low as 115! How's that possible?

Serious replies only, thanks.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Calling Dotnet Athletes
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 3 Apr 15:29

Recovery element, is bringing the heart rate down. When you are constantly running it's an increasing load. Remember your max is 220 minus your age and 70% of that max figure is your optimum.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Apr 19:28

Quote:

shrek par, Sat 3 Apr 15:29

Recovery element, is bringing the heart rate down. When you are constantly running it's an increasing load. Remember your max is 220 minus your age and 70% of that max figure is your optimum.

Cheers, shrek. I was wondering if I should have to bin the smart watch. I didn't know you were an athlete. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sat 3 Apr 20:15

Try racing him to the pie stand GG 😀

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 3 Apr 20:51

As well as recovery time, there`s also a bit of a delay in the HRM reporting an increase in heart rate, so if you run short reps it might not pick it up fully before you`re resting again. They`re all a bit different in that respect. Mine is standalone rather than being on the back of the watch, but it uses the same method to measure heart rate. I think the delay on that one is about 10 seconds.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 11:26

There's a really good simple book (author forgotten) about training with a heart rate monitor. The decent marathon runners I worked with used it as a training tool with good effect.(this was in the late 80s) Worked particularly well for Alistair Hutton at London....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 12:52

Quote:

Socks, Sat 3 Apr 20:51

As well as recovery time, there`s also a bit of a delay in the HRM reporting an increase in heart rate, so if you run short reps it might not pick it up fully before you`re resting again. They`re all a bit different in that respect. Mine is standalone rather than being on the back of the watch, but it uses the same method to measure heart rate. I think the delay on that one is about 10 seconds.

A 10 s delay? Ah, that means when I've finished a rep, my HRM is showing my rate at the start. 🤣😂🤣.

Shrek, has the 220 - your age guide not been discarded now? It's a bit of a "one size fits all" idea, so it can't be more than a very rough rule of thumb. I've noticed that I often exceed that by a fair bit. My cardiologist said that these spikes are caused by the electrical signals in my heart doing something akin to short circuit. Apparently, there's a simple heart procedure which can be carried out to correct it, but it wouldn't eliminate my angina symptoms as they're independent of the spikes, so I turned it down.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Apr 14:48

My info may well be out of date by about 6 yrs. A lot of the series one and two smart hrm's used that info to work out your max heart rate and training zones. I'm sure technology has moved on since then and they may be able to give a more personal limit now.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net