DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Psst! Gotta SUV?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 12:52

The RAC have taken their time in coming out and stating the bleeding obvious...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56647128

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Psst! Gotta SUV?
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 15:11

I’m getting older each day noo I’m posting on the wrang threads!

Post Edited (Wed 07 Apr 17:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 15:32

I’ve always wanted a pickup with a 3 seat bench in the cab and gun rack in the middle, wall to wall Honkytonk on the music player - a Country Boy Can Survive.

Then I wake up !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 15:42

Most will never be off-road and some aren't even 4x4s. Many now are crossovers, which are just standard hatchbacks on raised suspension and some plastic strips. Often these look nicer but I'd assume the ride is affected.

Each to their own. I've never particularly like the look of them beyond the likes of the old Defender and Land Rover. I'd never buy either as the common theme with enthusiasts appears to be fixing what's broken!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 17:39

Topic Originator: buffy like | nolike - 1
Date: Wed 7 Apr 15:11

Hehehe .... I did wonder buffy .... think you even confused auld G.G. as weel :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 17:59

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 7 Apr 17:39

Topic Originator: buffy like | nolike - 1
Date: Wed 7 Apr 15:11

Hehehe .... I did wonder buffy .... think you even confused auld G.G. as weel :)

She certainly did - no that that's very hard these days. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 18:27

We are on our third one. Wife loves them. Couple of yeti and a kamiq . Good mpg on the diesel yeti. Petrol kamiq is about 45mpg with the 1.5 engine. A lot of the smaller engined cars are no good with any kind of load or back road, they just guzzle fuel unless driving at a constant low load speed. Best thing I drove for MPG was a hybrid Niro. Went Kirkcaldy to Aberdeen and back on £15 of fuel.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 18:30

According to pals in the trade , the Ford ranger is very popular in fife and going about 1k over the cap price.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 21:14

Topic Originator: shrek par like | nolike
Date: Wed 7 Apr 18:30

According to pals in the trade , the Ford ranger is very popular in fife and going about 1k over the cap price.

Is that the same as the old Ford ranger or is it a different car but still using the old badges

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 22:23

I worked hard all my life,since 16,years old.If I want a 4x4,I will have one,if I can afford it.Its not about snobbery, it's about treating yourself, after all those years of hard work,and I will be going for it !

Post Edited (Wed 07 Apr 22:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Apr 23:02

Not seen many Rangers. Are you sure he meant cars? 😉

Usual ones are Rover, Dacia, Mitsubishi or Kia.

I've seen a few MG ones. They look not too bad tbh. Someone on here had asked about the electric version a while back.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 15:06

I bought one 3 years ago. The drive on country roads is not as nippy as a small car, but that is ok. The main difference is that I hired a car to go to a funeral about 200 miles away and I can tell you I was about crippled getting out of the car. SUV’s are much more comfortable for the ageing dot net demographic 🙂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 18:04

Not just the older generation. My car is taller than my wife's. It's been relatively unused in the past year so I've been using it more and notice the difference when pulling myself out the seat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 8 Apr 18:56

I've just changed from a Qashqai to a new Juke as both my wife and I find them hell of a lot easier to get in and out of.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 09:30

I took the plunge last back end and bought the Vauxhall Grandland X nicknamed the Grandad X by my granddaughter :) 8 speed automatic .. my first ever and cant see me going back to manual again

1.2t petrol but very responsive ...All the safety features you could think of and so much easier to get in and out off for an auld geezer ... down side is only averaging 35 mpg but don`t do long journeys so much now so it will do

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Fri 9 Apr 14:23

Our main run-around car is now electric (with a petrol range-extender generator as back up to charge the battery if we run out of charge). Fortunately, I am able to charge the car up at home at no additional cost using my own solar power system. We also have two oldish SUVs (Subaru Foresters - one a 2003 manual and the other a 2010 automatic). They are really useful when going on long trips or off-road in the bush or going to the cost/beach. They are tough and can handle dirt roads, rocky terrain, heavy sand, quite high "middle-men" in the road etc. Clearance is not as high as you would get on larger full-on 4x4s; but with the Subaru`s flatter undercarriage their effective clearance is still pretty good. In most cases you can probably get by with an SUV and not need a large 4x4. I have however been on roads in the wilds of North West Namibia where their clearance would have been insufficient (and where even full sized 4x4s battled). The SUVs are also very useful for carting round stuff like cement, building blocks, recycling, lots of supplies if going away for a period etc.. They also handle bad roads with potholes much better than my electric car which is more suited to better quality roads. They also are comfortable to drive on normal roads. Unlike Toyota`s Subaru spares here are imported and more expensive. As a result Subaru`s are one of the least stolen make of vehicles here. Carjackers over here may be armed and dangerous . The much reduced risk of theft/car-jacking is a plus point for me. The Subaru SUVs are however very fuel hungry which is not good for the environment. Fortunately my solar system more than offsets the SUV`s high carbon emissions. With an electric car for everyday driving, we end up using far less petrol overall than would be the case if we just had a normal car or pick-up. I concur with GG that it is daft to have a "Chelsea tractor" as a supposed status symbol and not use it off road from time to time.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Sat 10 Apr 10:05

In the 21 years I`ve owned my Range Rover, I`ve had 5 company cars. 2 Fords and 3 Skodas

Something made me check MOT history the other day, apart from the 19 plate Ocatvia I`m driving for work now, none of them are showing as on the road.

My 31 year old Range Rover however, turn the key, away it goes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Apr 10:51

My view is always that some cars stay longer on the road because people treat them well. Most people would treat a £40k BMW better than a £10k Dacia.

When I was looking at getting an old Disco it was apparent on the forums that the ones still around were due to thorough servicing and regular maintenance (very regular in most cases!).

I think car manufacturers are getting wise to people wanting higher cars. Kia have a car that's basically the Ceed hatchback with higher suspension. I don't think it even has the "rugged" rubber add-ons that most fake 4x4s have.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net