DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Another Fraud Scam
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 16:57

Fellow Pars fans, please be aware of another scam, which almost caught me out, this morning.

I was looking to buy a metal garden bench and settled on one that I liked. Most sites (including Amazon) were offering it for sale at £75-£100 but were currently out of stock. One company which did have it was looking for £199. Aye very good.

I had left an email with Big Furniture Warehouse to be notified when it`s back in stock, before noticing I could buy it for £55 elsewhere. I`d never heard of the company (Techduc) so I googled it and found it`s an international one which makes machinery, so I went ahead with the purchase using my credit card. This was refused and I was asked to try another card. I hesitated but then went ahead and used my debit card. When that was refused too, I called my bank`s customer services dept and they quickly established that £55 had been taken from each card by someone or something called Stacey UK. Luckily for me, they were able to put that right straight away, but I now have to get new cards.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Another Fraud Scam
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 17:58

Glad you got it sorted G.G.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 18:02

PITA for you GG but thanks for sharing.
My 16 year old bought a couple of wee things from China a while back and much later we spotted that amounts between £10 and £15 were being taken from his bank account every month by persons unknown and the beneficiary name was changing every 2 months. Very sneaky. We reported it and he got it all refunded and a new card.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 19:03

Quote:

JTH123, Fri 30 Apr 18:02

PITA for you GG but thanks for sharing.
My 16 year old bought a couple of wee things from China a while back and much later we spotted that amounts between £10 and £15 were being taken from his bank account every month by persons unknown and the beneficiary name was changing every 2 months. Very sneaky. We reported it and he got it all refunded and a new card.

I'm pleased I had the presence of mind to atone for my earlier error. Had I assumed that no money had changed hands and left it at that, the bank would not have been able to cancel the transactions and I would have lost out. I wonder how many people will be caught out like that by these despicable fraudsters?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 19:04

Scary stuff. Sometimes buying online seems a bit like the lawless wild west.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 19:09

You're right GG. They are absolute scumbags.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 19:53

So many fake sites out there, you gotta watch.

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 30 Apr 20:47

Hi GG was there any advice on how to identify or was there any advice from the bank after the event?
Scary stuff indeed. Thank you for sharing.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sat 1 May 06:37

If you intend to buy from a company you’re not familiar with check them on trustpilot. If there are minimal reviews or indeed the reviews are poor then leave well alone.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 07:29

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sat 1 May 06:37

If you intend to buy from a company you’re not familiar with check them on trustpilot. If there are minimal reviews or indeed the reviews are poor then leave well alone.

Cheers for this, Westie. It appears to me that clicking on the initial link takes you to a website which may not be related to that company. After calling my bank and sorting things out I did a little more investigating and found another sight advertising the same item at an even lower price. When I went into it, it took me to another page which was identical to the one I'd try to buy from before. I'll be sticking to companies I've used before from now on.

Eta. There was no advice whatsoever from my bank, Parsmad.

Post Edited (Sat 01 May 07:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Sat 1 May 10:47

Also scrutinise the site itself. Usually the prices are cheaper than everywhere else (often significantly), the Contact Us details are sketchy, and generally things won't feel right for a legit commercial site. If it's a site that's new to you, Google it, look it up on review sites such as Trust Pilot. As always, if it's too good to be true, it is!

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net