DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dunfermline Cemetery
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 1 May 09:39

Mrs Riva has just drawn my attention to some photos on Facebook, showing obscenities which have been sprayed on gravestones near the Halbeath Road entrance, including the memorial area to stillborn babies, which always brings a lump to my throat when I pass it.

There are some really despicable people, masquerading as human beings, in our community.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dunfermline Cemetery
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Sat 1 May 09:45

There will always be low life's or the uneducated who will always do disrespectful stuff like this. I will need to have a walk along to see if any of my family who are they have had there stones defaced
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 1 May 12:23

It's been cleaned off but the vandalism is distasteful and utterly despicable. I'd happily contribute to a fund for anyone who knows who was responsible. There's being a male body part and there's being complete scum. This definitely falls into the latter category.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 1 May 12:44

It shouldn’t be necessary to have cctv installed, but sadly the council should consider it now?

A couple of street lights would be a start, though. Disgraceful that the cemetery is pitch black in the winter, after tea time

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sat 1 May 14:24

'covid hoax' and 'scum' sprayed on gravestones. I can't even fathom the mental state of some people.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 1 May 15:43

The company that have done it are called Drive Revive so well done to them. Hopefully they get all the good publicity they deserve for it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 1 May 16:00

Just seen this online,

"One less rat" sprayed on still born memorials.

people out there know whoever did this, please please report them. I have never understood vandalism of any kind but this is repulsive.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 16:02

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sat 1 May 15:43

The company that have done it are called Drive Revive so well done to them. Hopefully they get all the good publicity they deserve for it.

I'm sure you meant that Drive Revive cleaned up the obscenities, lpf, rather than being responsible for them. 🙂

I took a walk up myself this afternoon, to see if my mum's grave had been desecrated, but thankfully, it appears to have escaped unscathed.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 1 May 16:09

Yeah 🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 1 May 17:35

There are no words!
Well, maybe one.

BIRCH.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Sat 1 May 19:38

Absolutely no need
Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 1 May 19:43

I see it's made it to the BBC news website uk news pages.
Good friends of mines lost a baby many years ago and went through hell and a lot of time and effort went into that memorial only for scumbags to do that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 20:23

Mine too. Really glad it was cleaned up before too many people saw it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 May 20:26

Get whoever did it named and shamed. These sort don't keep it quiet so someone will know.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sat 1 May 22:06

Utter scum. Really hope they`re caught quicky.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 2 May 12:11

There is no words to describe these filth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 13:50

100% agree woth Jake

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 2 May 18:07

I have no words, other than whoever has done this are seriously ill individuals.

What goes through someone’s head to decide to do such a thing like this.

It makes me sick.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 2 May 18:08

It’s been some weekend in Dunfermline between this, the bus fire at the old fire station (ironically) and the 12 year old that got jumped at Beveridge Park by 15/16 year olds while a crowd just watched and filmed it and then just left the child.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 2 May 21:09

I may be older and maybe need someone on the forum who deals with kids in real life now, but have human values, decency and morals dramatically slipped since I was younger?
Is it because punishments are to lenient for the crime I.e. no deterrent.
The things I read here are appalling and I have a genuine concern for future generations. These stories are disgusting and demoralising.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Sun 2 May 21:38

Those responsible may have more to worry about than a knock on the door from the police when they are identified - as they surely will. I’m pretty sure that it will not only be the authorities who are after them.

In general though, we have all allowed society to develop in the way it sadly has and you reap what you sow..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 22:01

Quote:

parsmad68, Sun 2 May 21:09

I may be older and maybe need someone on the forum who deals with kids in real life now, but have human values, decency and morals dramatically slipped since I was younger?
Is it because punishments are to lenient for the crime I.e. no deterrent.
The things I read here are appalling and I have a genuine concern for future generations. These stories are disgusting and demoralising.

Kids are still taught the values you list, Parsmad, but society has changed a great deal since you and I were children ourselves. I don't believe that more lenient punishments are a significant factor, although this may contribute to the general malaise. I think it's more that attitudes among parents have changed. Actions that would have got us into serious bother as kids are now accepted or even condoned by some parents.

If I got into any bother at school, I never told my parents as I would have been in even more trouble at home - nowadays kids will be on their phones to their parents within minutes and their parents will be at school within the hour to demand an explanation as to why their child has been told off without knowing the full facts, having only heard their own child's version of events.

Parents are a child's first educators - if they do not pass on these values to their children what chance do these kids have of turning out as well rounded, law abiding members of society? I'll give you an example of a complete abdication of responsibility, just 3 days ago. A boy of around 12-13 was pushing an ASDA trolley with some shopping bags through the Rex Park. A woman, presumably his mother, was walking alongside the boy, chatting away on her phone. A little further on, they took out the bags and the boy pushed the trolley off the path towards the Lyne burn. They then continued on their way with their shopping.

Now, I'm thinking, Why is the boy not at school? And why did the woman allow him to take the trolley away from ASDA and then abandon it? What is he learning from his parent? It's OK to skip school and it's OK to take trolleys away from a supermarket and dump them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 2 May 22:16

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 2 May 22:17

Quote:

Parplod, Sun 2 May 21:38

Those responsible may have more to worry about than a knock on the door from the police when they are identified - as they surely will. I’m pretty sure that it will not only be the authorities who are after them.

In general though, we have all allowed society to develop in the way it sadly has and you reap what you sow..

It will probably be better if some people do get to this person, rather than the police. It's about time people really did reap what they sow
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 May 23:55

Some kids are just wronguns but agree with GG on the parenting. I see it in my son's school. There's one particular parent who every-single-year claims the teacher has something against her kid. The reality is the kid is a bawbag but has learned it from his mum who is also a bawbag.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 07:50

Quote:

EEP, Sun 2 May 22:16

GG you could be the best parents in the world and try to educate your kids but don’t blame the parents if their kid makes a bad mistake.... parents can’t do anything nowadays... if I was going out my dad used to say “have a good night but never bring the police to this door” that was meant I would get a few slaps... it never happened as I had to much respect for my parents but the young idiots now just have a free reign.

Of course you do get parents who do their very best to bring their kids up correctly and they still turnnout to be antisocial, EEP, but they are exceptions rather than the general rule. In many cases, the parents either don't have the skills, or are too weak to apply them consistently. As a young teacher, I quickly learned that kids are very quick to suss you out and if you're not crystal clear about what is acceptable behaviour in your classroom, they will push the boundaries as far as they can. Even as a pupil, at a time when you could be belted for dropping a pencil, having dirty hands or looking out of the window, I remember that we all knew which teacher's classes we could play up in and those in which we wouldn't dare.

You also have situations where a single parent is trying to bring up the kids on their own, or they're in a new relationship, which can be even worse because if the non biological parent tries to lay down the rules, he/she is quickly informed that they're not "my father/mother." In short, being a parent is no picnic - you learn as you go along and you thank God if your kids accept the values you believe in. If they fall into bad company, they will be influenced much more by these other kids than by anything you can say or do.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 3 May 09:35

Feral kids coming from parents that used to be feral kids!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 13:02

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 3 May 09:35

Feral kids coming from parents that used to be feral kids!

A bit of a sweeping generalisation, Lo'gelly, but perhaps containing more than a grain of truth. Adults who were teenage rebels themselves may well find it difficult to keep their own kids from going down the same path.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 3 May 13:10

"A bit of a sweeping generalisation, Lo`gelly, but perhaps containing more than a grain of truth. Adults who were teenage rebels themselves may well find it difficult to keep their own kids from going down the same path."

Some parents think responsibilty for their kids ends at birth.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 18:08

Vetran I know a few that responsibility stops at conception

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 3 May 18:39

Guys I think we had a similar discussion re the Glen

I know of .. have been brought up with.. went to school with ... and witnessed several times 2 kids from the same family, same Mum and Dad and one kid was the salt of the earth and the other the gremlin

We have it in our own family 2 sisters one owns a great cafe works hard and makes a good living ... the other is in and out of gaol for various offences mainly drug related ... both brought up exactly the same

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 3 May 19:44

"Vetran I know a few that responsibility stops at conception"

Yes, I was thinking along those lines as well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 May 20:02

A lot of it is who they fall in with and also a degree of naughtiness in the younger siblings as they get off with more and also have the benefit of seeing their older sibling experiencing things first.

If I found out it was one of my kids involved they would be sent down there for the next 6 months to litter pick and weed around the graves.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 May 07:30

Quote:

jake89, Mon 3 May 20:02

A lot of it is who they fall in with and also a degree of naughtiness in the younger siblings as they get off with more and also have the benefit of seeing their older sibling experiencing things first.

If I found out it was one of my kids involved they would be sent down there for the next 6 months to litter pick and weed around the graves.

And for every parent like you, Jake, there'll be others who shrug their shoulders and say "Kids eh, what can you do?"

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 May 07:52

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 3 May 18:39

Guys I think we had a similar discussion re the Glen

I know of .. have been brought up with.. went to school with ... and witnessed several times 2 kids from the same family, same Mum and Dad and one kid was the salt of the earth and the other the gremlin

We have it in our own family 2 sisters one owns a great cafe works hard and makes a good living ... the other is in and out of gaol for various offences mainly drug related ... both brought up exactly the same

BPP, I've no doubt that the example you give is true, but I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is. You're not suggesting parental influence - or lack of it - isn't a contributory factor, are you? Your knowledge of siblings with very different behaviours appears to be a relatively small sample - correct me if I'm wrong. In my career as a teacher, spent mainly in the same school, I literally taught 1000s of children, many of whom were siblings and latterly, the children of pupils I taught earlier in my career.

The vast majority of kids showed very similar traits to their older relatives. Smart kids tend to have smart siblings and smart offspring. Similarly with kids who didn't like school and were poorly behaved I tried not to label them as soon as they came in the door, but some colleagues would say " I've got so and so's wee brother in S1. That's going to be fun." When I did come across very different siblings, it was such a rare event that it would be quite a surprise and memorable as a result.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 4 May 08:30

Hi G.G. I think i was trying to say that kids can either be good or bad irrespective if they have the same love, attention and upbringing from their parents

I take on board your points regarding your experience teaching siblings and their traits but I still think a bad un is a bad un G.G. no matter what

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 4 May 10:06

Saw this, disgusting, beyond horrible.

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 May 12:06

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 4 May 08:30

Hi G.G. I think i was trying to say that kids can either be good or bad irrespective if they have the same love, attention and upbringing from their parents

I take on board your points regarding your experience teaching siblings and their traits but I still think a bad un is a bad un G.G. no matter what

I don't disagree with your observation that you can get polar opposites in the same family. I do believe such events are very rare and the most important, character forming traits are influenced by parental input and peer pressure. It's also true that birds of a feather flock together, so a child who has been brought up with clear social values is unlikely to be attracted towards peer groups who display antisocial behaviour.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 4 May 14:13

You are right GG of course but as Peter Ustinov once said "I do not believe that friends are necessarily the people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first."

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 May 15:59

Sure there are some kids who are just wee bams. It may be something psychological. But then I see some parents who just don't get it. One in particular has had issues with how the teachers treat her child every-single-year. He's good pals with my son but you can see how her attitude of "it can't be my fault" then rubs off on him.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net