DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Repairing & maintaining
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Fri 28 May 10:21

We live in a world where Recycling is now accepted into everyday use.

.......However what ever happened to repair & maintaining?

It’s far more efficient & eco friendly than recycling, conserves resources.

I have a 14 years old lawn mower that’s still on the go. I’ve replaced most of the bits but it’s never let me down.

Anyone else got any old machinery that is defying its age?

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Repairing & maintaining
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Fri 28 May 11:27

So it's basically the grass equivalent of triggers broom
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Fri 28 May 12:53

Quote:

the saline hill puma, Fri 28 May 11:27

So it's basically the grass equivalent of triggers broom

Immediately thought of that too :)

This is my signature
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 28 May 13:47

I`ve got an old flymo. Had it about 8 years. Got it from my son who had it for a few years before that.
Leave it out in all weathers. No maintenance and still works. Much to my wifes dismay

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 28 May 14:31

It's definitely a case of "they don't make them like they used to". When I was young a TV used to last for years. It was only recently that my parents got rid of an old TV that had sat in my room for years. It still worked. In contrast, my 4 year old telly has already developed an issue with the screen.

All these things seem designed to last 3-4 years before going kapoot. All to often it's cheaper to replace than repair.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 28 May 14:52

I've got a old boiler that whines and grumbles a lot.... But she makes my tea when I come in fae work every night so I'm no complaining 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 28 May 19:31

Still got an original xbox from 2003, got a pickaxe from about 1950 and some sledgehammers that are at least 35 yrs old and hand tools from nineteen canteen that were my grandfather's from his apprenticeship in the 1920s

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 28 May 19:38

Quote:

shrek par, Fri 28 May 19:31

Still got an original xbox from 2003, got a pickaxe from about 1950 and some sledgehammers that are at least 35 yrs old and hand tools from nineteen canteen that were my grandfather's from his apprenticeship in the 1920s

Got an original Master System (not the crap Master System 2) from 1986. Still works.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 29 May 14:38

Our microwave is a SHARP from the 80s, looks retro and still works. The other half bought a new one a few months back but I can't bear to put the old one out. I bet it would outlast it anyway.
For the grass I have an ancient qualcast hand powered push Lawnmower, gives a brilliant cut, and no cables to worry about, good bit of exercise too. Just need to oil it every so often and sharpen the blade every few years.
There used to be a few TV Repairmen when I was a kid, a profession that seems to have fallen by the wayside

Post Edited (Sat 29 May 14:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Sat 29 May 17:20

Although I still repair tvs, problem now is that to fix the 'no picture' fault is time consuming and usually about £100. This usually is uneconomic so customer scraps set and buys another with more features and cheaper than his faulty one. Same with most white goods as well. What's needed is a fixed price repair by the manufacturer to keep from scrapping newish items.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 29 May 19:13

Our dishwasher's packed up. Stops after the initial fill cycle. Seems to be the main pump that pushes the water into the machine. Looked at spares websites and it is £125. Machine is zanussi, cost about £300 and only about 4 years old. Part looks as if it has shot up in price since brexit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Sat 29 May 22:36

I've got a 1912 Ever Ready single edge razor I use regularly and a 1964 Gillette super speed Double Edge which is my day-to-day razor.

Costs about 10-15p a blade and the shave betters the modern multi-blade stuff; although it does take a bit more practice at first.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net