DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Simone Biles
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:04

Arguably one of the worlds best gymnasts withdrew from the olympic team event after one rotation to protect her mental health….she’s only 24.

Anyone with experience in these kind of sports and know how hard they are managed/trained/disciplined or is it more down to just expectation from others, the weight on ones shoulders?

You hear horror stories on how people are treated by trainers etc in some sports.

Post Edited (Tue 27 Jul 17:06)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Simone Biles
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:19

Just read her interview after. I don't think this is down to mental health but more her mind not being focused to perform. The pressure of letting teammates down led her to withdraw.
She is struggling to focus with there being no crowds there.
The coaches appear to have been supportive of her decision as well.
Sure she will compete in the individual events as there won't be the pressure of feeling you will let teammates down.
This is a case of her mind not being in the right place to perform at her best rather than a mental health issue.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 17:24

I got that impression as well reading it.

Does open a question on sports in general these days and how kids are taught (if that’s the right word?) to handle the pressures that come with it. Especially in fields such as gymnastics where you can have kids competing at really young ages.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 18:47

The son of a lad who I worked with for a good few years went through the Scottish elite gymnastics system.
I remember him telling me that a Chinese coach was brought in and after a while the lad gave it up completely. His dad told me that they "broke" him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 20:47

Pretty poor show from her, a quitter, letting herself and her country down. If she wasn't up to it, she should have called off weeks back and let someone else go. Looks to me like she made a mistake, foot forward and couldn't handle it. I do wonder if we are about to see a generation of athletes that don't have the mental toughness to become greats of the sport. I'm seeing it at work, a generation of people that just can't cope with adversity. Imagine dedicating your whole life towards this moment and just giving up. Bang on queue the BBC did a segment on it, and then promoted the range of help tools available if anyone has been affected by it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 20:59

4 time Olympic gold medalist and 19 time World Championship gold medalist.

Think she's proven she's "up to it".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 27 Jul 21:03

Fair play to her for making this decision.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 11:22

Possibly more going on than I initially thought.
She has withdrawn from the individual event as well now.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 11:30

I`d imagine that in gymnastics, when you are hurling your body through the air into all sorts of positions, then confidence is everything. If she is doubting herself then she is doing the right thing by withdrawing.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 14:32

That's out of order red star.

The way she stormed in yesterday, I thought her coaches had told her to pull out for the sake of the team. I hope she is OK but I think she may have withdrawn to say to US gymnastics "if I'm not good enough for the team then I'm not good enough for individuals"

On a lighter note GB have a gymnast called James Hall. Do you think his parents knew something 🤔

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Wed 28 Jul 14:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 15:53

Jim Hall ... Like it MDC :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 16:00

I watched some gymnastics at lunchtime - awesome!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Jul 16:15

See she's getting grief from a supposed journalist. Should expect no less, I suppose.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 01:05

Is that the racist ,friend of pedophiles journalist?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jul 08:36

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Thu 29 Jul 01:05

Is that the racist ,friend of pedophiles journalist?

Yes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 22:17

Ben Stokes "will take an indefinite break from all cricket with immediate effect" and has withdrawn from England's squad for the five-Test series against India.

The all-rounder will prioritise his mental wellbeing and rest his left index finger which has not fully healed, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said in a statement.
Awaiting the Piers Morgans outrage at pampered sports star ,taking a break

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 22:31

Piers Morgan is a tool.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 22:35

I think that's the thing. The likes of Simone Biles isn't the first sports star to take a step back for their health. People are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Ridiculed for stepping back when they realise it's affecting their mental health. Ridiculed when they don't realise and then go off the rails. The common theme in the ridicule is odious plebs like Morgan who snipe from the sidelines but would never say it to the person's face.

I wonder if Morgan ever explained his "reaction" to being told he's an idiot? Does he now consider himself a "snowflake"?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net