DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 4G broadband
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 30 Jul 22:12

Has anyone got experience of 4G broadband routers? We're up for a renewal and I'm seeing a good offer on a 4G set up rather than cable. It suggests speeds of up to 60mb, which would do us fine. Obviously use 4G on our phones no bother but wondering if anyone is using it?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 4G broadband
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sat 31 Jul 09:39

Absolutely awful. I had a 3 one and the mast was really close to our house. Could barely play YouTube videos, let alone anything else. Lasted about a week and got rid.

Avoid

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sat 31 Jul 11:42

Could be talking nonsense (I've not looked at these in a while) but the issue used to be higher latency than wired so not great for things like online gaming where the response needs to be fast.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sat 31 Jul 16:18

Will depend on your use case, higher latency and limited backhaul bandwidth (congestion) could be an issue depending on the mast location and uplink capacity.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sat 31 Jul 19:14

I get about 50Mbps with EE 4G with a fairly weak one bar signal. No issues with EE other than the price and the data limit (50GB). Great if you want to move house or need to take your broadband somewhere, or if you’re a light data user.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 31 Jul 19:22

Thanks all. Reckon I'll stick to traditional means.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 1 Aug 07:35

Also worth noting that if you have data limits you will potentially have a trade off between resolution and data use if you plan on streaming via smart tv (especially 4K)

Typically streaming to a TV takes more bandwidth than to a phone or tablet because most TVs are higher resolution than most phones and tablets. Plus phones and tablets can still offer a sharp picture with lower resolution whereas it would be much more noticeable on the larger tv screen.

Without data limits resolution stops being an issue though

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net