DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fao Parrot
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Thu 5 Aug 08:31

Where abouts are you in amazon? I`m in the soul destroying towers. 1 day done and I already feel my soul dissapating into a husk. Its just such a depressing department. All those barely damaged goods getting taken away to be destroyed. Loads of nice toys perfumes, figurines and electrical gadgets that could be going to needy families.

F*@k you Jeff Bezo or whatever your name is, hope he burns up in the atmosphere.

Have you ever heard of people successfully requesting a transfer? I`d like to work in packing as I have a pal there. Stowing is going to wreak havoc on my mental health. I went into the job thinking it would pick up my mood but it`s made it even lower. I`ll try and stick it out though as the night shift money is good.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fao Parrot
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 5 Aug 16:06

Just going to leave this here...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 5 Aug 17:32

Im a pick instructor in the tower lol. Im nightshifts.
I frlt similar to you in the beginning but zi quite enjoy it now. You wont get a move for a few months but it can happen. We can have a chat. Ill help you get into it and have an less miserable time of it.
Im working every night except either sunday or monday...varies depending on available VET.

The stuff doesnt all get destroyed....that was crap journalism. You should be called to a staff meeting to hear about that.

Anyhoo look out for me and say hi. 5ft 9 59 yrs grey hair an spex half way doon ma nose.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Thu 5 Aug 19:55

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Aug 20:31

They go back into stock or go as "refurbished" presumably. My understanding is that most of the "Amazon" landfill us actually from other sellers using Amazon to sell their wares.

I've bought stuff from another well known online retailer that's then been faulty and been told to keep it rather than return. It creates hassle for the seller to return in a lot of cases. People don't realise that a lot of things they maybe spend ยฃ10-20 on actually cost a quid (or less!) to make.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Aug 23:12

Most goes to charities or gets recycled. Some has to be scrapped because it doesn't belong to amazon and they have no choice.
You should get sent to an all hands meeting where this is sll explained.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:17

Are they still taking on new starts in the next couple of weeks?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:34

`Pick` is a department I think I would have liked. Running about finding things sounds fun. Taking stuff from boxes and putting it on a shelf, not so much fun. It is what it is though.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:39

Yep lots coming in. I was instructing last two days. Oddly enough 4 folk out of a group of 6 didnt turn up. Maybe they listened to misleading scare stories lol.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 17:42

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Sat 7 Aug 17:34

`Pick` is a department I think I would have liked. Running about finding things sounds fun. Taking stuff from boxes and putting it on a shelf, not so much fun. It is what it is though.

Ask for cross training then transfer. Pick is high pressure but with the right attitude it is reasonably enjoyable. I lost 3 stone in the past year lol.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Aug 18:55

Cross training then transfer, I was planning on speaking to the manager tonight anyway. I think all departments are high pressure so that doesn`t really matter. Better to be in high pressure department that I`ll be happier in though.

I can only ask. If he says no then I`ll jam a scanner up his butt lol.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 03:23

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Sat 7 Aug 18:55

Cross training then transfer, I was planning on speaking to the manager tonight anyway. I think all departments are high pressure so that doesn`t really matter. Better to be in high pressure department that I`ll be happier in though.

I can only ask. If he says no then I`ll jam a scanner up his butt lol.

Lol. Set it on vibrate first.
You might need to wait til after your 3 months probation.
If you do really well quality wise your probation will be shortened, so just bite the bullit and focus on good stowing and you will get better opportunities sooner.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 13:16

I was told last night that I was doing a few things better and making less mistakes than people who have been there for weeks so that`s a positive seeing as I`ve only been there for a few days.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 15:17

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up and you'll soon be bossing Parrot about ๐Ÿ˜
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 15:38

Jake are you Jake that was a team lead by any chance?

Post Edited (Sun 08 Aug 15:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 15:41

I keep asking what shifts you do. Ns ds? Might we bump into each other?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 16:51

Topic Originator: jake89 like | nolike
Date: Sun 8 Aug 15:17

Sounds like you`re doing great. Keep it up and you`ll soon be bossing Parrot about ๐Ÿ˜

LOL jake89 that was going to be my next post :-))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 20:43

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 20:59

Quote:

EEP, Sun 8 Aug 20:43

I presume that Amazon work you hard but there is a lot of benefits to work up the ranks after the probation period?

No question you have to have the right attitude to hard work. They make no bones about the effort that is required. If you start a shift thinking, oh no 10 hours of this to go, you are fooked. I break it down into shorter periods, set myself targets and it passes the time much quicker. The managers regularly do things to break the day up a bit. Table tennis, darts tournaments, quizes etc. You get taken off task to participate and get extra breaks if you win.
The benifits package is excellent and the wages are very good for what you do.
Focus is on quality more than quantity and if you get it right there are plenty opportunities to progress.
First step is to apply to be an instructor which carries no extra authority but varies your week. You can apply for cross training and work in different departments, and you can apply for team lead training.
If you show commitment and reach the quality standards you won't be doing mundane jobs for long. Great place for youngsters to work and plenty oldies in the mix too.
It is nothing like some folk say.

.....also, if I can regularly hit the top 5% at 59 year old I don't know what the youngsters are moaning about.

Post Edited (Sun 08 Aug 21:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 21:22

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 8 Aug 15:38

Jake are you Jake that was a team lead by any chance?

No, never worked for Amazon. Bought plenty from there though!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Aug 23:14

Thanks for keeping me in work ๐Ÿ˜‰

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Aug 23:58

I`m nightshift 7:30pm - 6am.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 04:50

I'm n/s too. 1845 to 0515 Tue Thu Fri Sat but usually do 2 out of the other 3 too. Nae overtime this week though.
Bound to bump into you at some point.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 13:36

I`m the one wearing either a videogame related t-shirt, nirvana, pearl jam or radiohead t-shirt or a t-shirt with some TV or film reference. Short hair, slim but with a dad belly and dashingly handsome ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Saying that, I have a couple of friends on similar shifts and I`ve never seen them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 15:00

Amazon friend ๐Ÿ™‚

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 18:02

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Tue 10 Aug 13:36

I`m the one wearing either a videogame related t-shirt, nirvana, pearl jam or radiohead t-shirt or a t-shirt with some TV or film reference. Short hair, slim but with a dad belly and dashingly handsome ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Saying that, I have a couple of friends on similar shifts and I`ve never seen them.

Need a red carnation so PARrot knows exactly who you are. ๐Ÿ˜‰
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: scottda  
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 19:37

I worked in stow for about 5 months, then asked for a move on the social distancing for 4 months. You got no pressure for target`s on stow. I found them good to work for and they treated you well. I even got a shift change from weekend nightshift to week day nightshift. Great money if you do a little bit overtime. It definitely not slave labour. I never broke sweat. Give it a month or so, then I`m sure it`ll be a breeze for you Kozma.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Aug 23:37

Quote:

scottda, Tue 10 Aug 19:37

I worked in stow for about 5 months, then asked for a move on the social distancing for 4 months. You got no pressure for target`s on stow. I found them good to work for and they treated you well. I even got a shift change from weekend nightshift to week day nightshift. Great money if you do a little bit overtime. It definitely not slave labour. I never broke sweat. Give it a month or so, then I`m sure it`ll be a breeze for you Kozma.

Im the one with the white sports coat a halo and a big yellow beak.

Cant miss me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Aug 08:25

It`s starting to take it`s toll on me. It`s not the work, it`s the travel. I finish at 6 but don`t get home until about 7:45 it`s almost an hour later on a Sunday. So you can gather from that, that I`m not getting enough sleep(5 hours if I`m lucky as I can`t just get home and go straight to bed. I need to wind down and I need a bath as I can`t sleep if I`m not clean. If I did an extra shift on a Sunday I`d be lucky to get 3 hours sleep so I`d be as well staying up. There are a few other guys from Kelty on my shift but they get the bus too. I maybe have a chat with them about chipping in for a taxi on a Sunday but I don`t think any of us have even spoke to each other yet(the curse of anti social people with our earphones on).

I need to get myself a burd fae duloch๐Ÿค”.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Aug 12:40

Just so long as you're not camping in the Calais woods! Surprised Amazon don't run a bus round Kelty, Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath to get folks in. I see one around Duloch but it looks like it just goes to the Halbeath Park and Ride
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Fri 13 Aug 17:39

Kozma - have you registered for liftshare.com as suggested on Facebook?

Alternatively, does Amazon have an online noticeboard/forum where you can ask if anyone is doing a similar journey in their car?

Post Edited (Fri 13 Aug 17:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Aug 17:42

Aye, "There is the rub" as someone once said.

Feel sorry for folk that come from Glasgow.
I used to pick a couple of guys up at Rosyth station in the taxi. They were commuting from Newcastle.

Im luck im only 5 minutes down the road, and i get what you mean about me time before going to sleep.
6 hours is good for me as im well used to long hours and nightshifts.
I have a cold bath to help the old leg muscles then straight to bed. Up at 1pm and time with the mrs before setting off again. I take someone home to Cowden but I finish at 5.15. Canny wait til 6 or id give you a lift too.

Try the facebook page. Always folk looking to share cars and petrol money on there.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Aug 17:47

I think Bezo believes all his minions have flying cars so there is no need to help us out. There are only so many shift patterns so a few buses wouldn`t cost the earth.

These buses would be beneficial to Amazon as the staff would be better rested.

Parrot, do you know if they have a suggestion box? I`ve a few ideas running around my head that I`d like the higher ups to read. One idea(apart from the buses) is to hold a raffle for some of the unsellables. The raffle money could go to a local charity and the winners get maybe 2 minutes with 1 tote to run around grabbing stuff.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Aug 23:29

They run busses during peak. Not worth it during the rest of the year.
I am surprised some 16 seat private hire companies have not tried something.
Facebook....car share. Thats what most folk do.

Contact HR on the A to Z app with suggestions.
I would go easy until you have been there long enough to know a bit more about how things work and what is already available.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 09:31

If you go on the Ed14 site on Facebook, there is always folk organising themselves lifts, with shift time`s. A good few drive from Kelty, so you might get one sorted.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Aug 09:38

EDI4 Facebook
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Aug 22:57

Been trying that for the past few days Jake but it doesn`t seem to be working. My posts aren`t going through.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Aug 23:30

Tall guy in Stow called Nathan is from Cowden. He might be able to help you out at weekends.. He knows some others from Kelty too so might be worth looking for him. Think his surname is Gehan. Recon around his 50s.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Aug 20:59

Infact Kozma, try ED14v2, as that seems to be the site that most users go to. Good luck.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 25 Aug 06:14

Kelly to Amazon even for a non cyclist is 45 minutes, surely pick up a very cheap bike and save hours waiting on a bus! If you plan a bath once home a perfect option?
At 1hr 45 min for the bus! You could walk it in that time, I personally would. I hate waiting, and would normally opt to get the train to Dalgety Bay as it 15 mins early and walk up the hill.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Aug 16:09

Quote:

DulochConvert, Wed 25 Aug 06:14

Kelly to Amazon even for a non cyclist is 45 minutes, surely pick up a very cheap bike and save hours waiting on a bus! If you plan a bath once home a perfect option?
At 1hr 45 min for the bus! You could walk it in that time, I personally would. I hate waiting, and would normally opt to get the train to Dalgety Bay as it 15 mins early and walk up the hill.

No sane person would do any of that...apart from maybe cycling in decent weather.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Aug 17:57

It's not a bad route as a lot of it is off-road. However, you end up going away from yourself to come back again unless you go down the road in Kingseat that leads to the level crossing. That's a crap road in a car and I definitely wouldn't cycle it, especially in the dark.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 25 Aug 20:31

Parrot, I have been working nights for over 20 years so your probably right that my sanity has gone!
I regularly cycle home from Edinburgh after my shift, I do alter the route depending on the level of darkness, I wonโ€™t cycle up the hill from Inverkeithing to Aberdour Rd in the dark, not the way boy racers drive down it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Aug 03:25

Quote:

DulochConvert, Wed 25 Aug 20:31

Parrot, I have been working nights for over 20 years so your probably right that my sanity has gone!
I regularly cycle home from Edinburgh after my shift, I do alter the route depending on the level of darkness, I wonโ€™t cycle up the hill from Inverkeithing to Aberdour Rd in the dark, not the way boy racers drive down it.

I lived in Dalgety bay and worked at Carnegie. Cycled to work then got a wee 50cc. Had several close calls and a bad crash on that hill.
I used to walk to Edinburgh too.

However, it would take well over an hour to walk from DBay stn to Amazon, and how would you get to DBay stn from Kelty.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 31 Aug 19:11

Scottda - I`ve been in trouble for overages and underages, but I`m sure the scanner is partly at fault, and I wouldn`t be surprised if certain unscrupulous people would move other people`s stowed goods to make room for their own stuff. No way am I making all the errors the management claim I am. I`ll make some mistakes for sure, but not at the level management claim.

Duloch convert, walking or cycling home! Have you any idea how sore my feet get after 10 hours of being on them? Couple that with how tired you get it fires your suggestion down an elevator shaft. Ps It`s Kelty not Kelly๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Cuzin Neil, I`ll look into that but at the moment I`m getting a lift home at the weekends which is an absolute Yorkesend. Hope you and the family are doing good, any more kids on the horizon?

PARrot, any insight as to what happens after 12 weeks? Is that when you get an appraisal and potentially moved to another department or sacked? You must have some idea. I`m not keen on stow as it`s pretty mind numbingly dull. You can only get excited about putting a box of tissues onto a shelf for so long before boredom sets in. I don`t want to lose my job though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 Sep 03:29

You wont get an appraisal. You will be told if you have a permanent contract or extended probation. I dont think you need to pass your probation to get trained in other areas. Ask about the outbound dock and outdoor yard marshalls, they need folk in both.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 3 Sep 20:15

Thanks Parrot, I`ll suggest that to my manager. Do you know about Emergency Annual Leave? An instructor told me you only have to give 2 hours notice, do you know if that is true? Do you have to give a reason for claiming it? The reason I ask is that I`m doing an overtime shift on Sunday night and if I could get away twenty minutes early on Monday morning I could catch a bus that gets me home at decent time.

Thanks for all this advice by the way. I`m a hard worker, I take criticism on the chin, I`m always polite but I don`t stow as much as others. 1 cherry pickers don`t help who go out of their way to get boxes and totes full of small items and I get left with totes that maybe only a a few medium sized items or 2 big item. 2 it must be ocd but I spend too long tidying up shelves and boxes that are an eyesore of a mess because some stowers seem to just throw the items in. I want them to be neat and tidy to make life easier for the pickers.

I`ve got some people the higher ups are looking for quality which is what I generally strive for, but then I`ve got other people telling me they want quantity so just stow as much as I can into any space I can find, never mind the mess. They simply can`t have both in the time limits put upon us. It`s so frustrating and my manager has told me that I`m in the bottom 10 percent of peopple when it comes to stowing numbers and I`m scared I`ll get the boot after 12 weeks which is something I obviously don`t want.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 Sep 08:30

You should get away no problem but I dont know your manager. I dont see how he could refuse though.

If the boxes are a mess leave them. It was probably a picker that trashed them trying to find something, or no time to put everything back tidily. Not your problem. Nice to be nice but you need to hit targets, or as near to as possible. Quality is most important. You can find excuses for lost time but they will hit you for poor quality.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
ยฉ 2021-- DAFC.net