DAFC.net
Home 18 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 5G masts
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 12:28

Just had the planning consent applied for locally for one of these.

16m tall right in the middle of houses. I'd recommend keeping an eye out locally if you don't want them plonked outside your front door.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 5G masts
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 12:46

It`s one of those things I guess. Everyone want to have a mobile phone but nobody wants the essential infrastructure near them.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 13:06

In cities they can build them into church spires and things. Why can't they do they same in towns and mask them as something more appealing? Dunfermline could benefit from the Polo Tower in Morecambe!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 13:39

Mask them as something more appealing? Yes, it could be done, but if you put a structure around an antenna it degrades performance. This means more of them would be required (or perhaps higher power would be needed) to achieve the same coverage - as usual in engineering, a compromise has to be found.

How would you feel if all masts were covered up or made to look nice but it made the cost of using the network increase by a 10 times? And how would you feel if the power consumption increased by 10 times as a result, with the environmental impact that would have? Everyone wants a good network at low cost and low power, but if that`s to be achieved you`re likely to have to concede something to get it. We engineers can occasionally get a bit crabbit when folk criticse without understanding the issues. Some of us more than others...

I thought the following article on Vodafone website described the issues quite well:

https://newscentre.vodafone.co.uk/features/mobile-phone-masts-everything-you-need-to-know/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 15:26

Given many are only slightly higher than a lamp post, it surely wouldn't be hard to have a mast that doubles as a street light?

What's odd is that the ones in council estates just get plunked in the middle of a green space yet far more thought in the affluent areas. Funny that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 15:43

That's the irony.....street lights are banned here......as I realised when I went out for a walk the evening that we moved in :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 28 Aug 16:16

Topic Originator: ipswichpar like | nolike
Date: Sat 28 Aug 15:43

That`s the irony.....street lights are banned here......as I realised when I went out for a walk the evening that we moved in :)

Thats the moth catcher redundant then ipswichpar :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 29 Aug 11:37

Got to love NIMBY attitudes. They're welcome to plant one outside my window if it give some 5g access in Dunfermline
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 29 Aug 12:19

Thing is we are all nimbys about something.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Aug 12:30

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 29 Aug 11:37

Got to love NIMBY attitudes. They're welcome to plant one outside my window if it give some 5g access in Dunfermline

A reasonable decision if you need 5G in your life.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 29 Aug 13:21

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sat 28 Aug 16:16

Topic Originator: ipswichpar like | nolike
Date: Sat 28 Aug 15:43

That`s the irony.....street lights are banned here......as I realised when I went out for a walk the evening that we moved in :)

Thats the moth catcher redundant then ipswichpar :)

You would have thought so wouldn't you? Just results in them all coming in the house at night because there aren't any other lights around.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net