DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Self employed help
Topic Originator: delboi  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 00:15

Asking this for a friend as i was clueless and don`t have a scooby and there getting a bit stressed out.

Basically she is about to start work for a cleaning company but has to be self employed, but doesn`t know where to start. She had been told do go online but its confused her as she doesn`t have the scoobiest on what she`s setting up etc. I had a look but it also goes over my head(glad I`m paye).It gives different options for sole trader and limited companys,how to pay tax etc.

Anybody on here able to help make this easier for her or point her in the right direction?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Self employed help
Topic Originator: SAP PAR  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 07:30

Tell them to give Fife business gateway a call on 01592 858 974. They will give the correct advice.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 09:38

My wife works in accountants and said...

If you click on link below and register as a sole trader

Hope this helps delboi
https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/self-employed

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 18:53

Quote:

delboi, Tue 07 Sep 00:15

Asking this for a friend as i was clueless and don`t have a scooby and there getting a bit stressed out.

Basically she is about to start work for a cleaning company but has to be self employed, but doesn`t know where to start. She had been told do go online but its confused her as she doesn`t have the scoobiest on what she`s setting up etc. I had a look but it also goes over my head(glad I`m paye).It gives different options for sole trader and limited companys,how to pay tax etc.

Anybody on here able to help make this easier for her or point her in the right direction?

Be VERY careful. You don’t choose whether you’re employed or self-employed. The contractual relationship between the individual and the organisation determines whether there is an employer/employee relationship or a contractor relationship. Some organisations want to avoid the hassle of PAYE and the costs of employers’ NI contributions so they try to paint a picture that falls short of employer/employee - often unsuccessfully.

Try starting here, which shows how complex it is.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/employed-or-self-employed

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 18:59

Most hairdressers in town are self employed. They lease the chair and the rest goes to them (obviously they pay tax etc).

Not sure how it would work for a cleaner unless it's a case of the householder/business pays the individual but all the marketing and materials are provided for a fee by someone else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 19:03

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Tue 7 Sep 18:53

Quote:

delboi, Tue 07 Sep 00:15

Be VERY careful. You don’t choose whether you’re employed or self-employed. The contractual relationship between the individual and the organisation determines whether there is an employer/employee relationship or a contractor relationship. Some organisations want to avoid the hassle of PAYE and the costs of employers’ NI contributions so they try to paint a picture that falls short of employer/employee - often unsuccessfully.

Try starting here, which shows how complex it is.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/employed-or-self-employed

Use this tool, which is the official HMRc guidance on setting employment status...https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-employment-status-for-tax

As has been stated, it's an absolute minefield and don't assume self employed status just cos someone wants to avoid the costs and obligations of being an employer!

Post Edited (Tue 07 Sep 19:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 19:33

Are an the delivery drivers not self employed?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Tue 7 Sep 22:52

Strange how the world changes.When I worked self employed it was contracting we called it.Admittedly it was a rather different type of self employed to the jobs now.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: delboi  
Date:   Sat 11 Sep 17:56

Cheers for getting back. Passed in the info and from what i know buisness gateway are sorting it all out .

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net