DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 TV advice
Topic Originator: Foghorn Leghorn  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 17:57

My elderly father has recently moved into “Community Housing “ which are basically several individual flats using a communal aerial. He previously had freeview through a recordable Humax box.

On hooking up the TV & Humax box, we are receiving a message about the signal strength being too weak. Can’t remember the exact wording. He is able to watch a picture perfect freeview only through the TV on it’s own. We have had an engineer but his advice was that it was the communal aerial and sometimes a Humax box isn’t compatible.

Does anyone have any ideas firstly about the existing set up, but if this s not compatible, what other options are available.

Many thanks in advance.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: TV advice
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 18:06

I've got a humax freeview recorder and they are fantastic but susceptible to this in certain weather conditions. I'm getting this just now on some hd channels. It might settle down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 18:07

Could try a plug in signal booster. The cable from the aerial box to TV would connect into the booster with another cable from the booster to the TV. They're fairly cheap to buy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 21:38

I have a spare signal booster unit which you are welcome to have.

Needs plugged into a wall socket - terrestial aerial cable downlead goes to input, output fly lead goes into TV socket.

As above, they are not much to buy - try B&M.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Thu 9 Sep 23:04

If tv is okay I'd be surprised if the humax was incompatible. Test humax on another aerial

Post Edited (Thu 09 Sep 23:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 08:04

Sorted, or still a problem ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 10:43

If the booster doesn't work would a cheap indoor aerial do the business?

Selection here with some tips on what else you might need:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1407324/best-indoor-freeview-tv-aerials
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Foghorn Leghorn  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 13:33

As the picture is perfect on the TV alone, I’ve ruled out the actual communal aerial. The problem is between the aerial socket and the Humax box not getting a decent reception. So I’ll get an aerial booster to run between the wall and the Humax, or should it be the Humax and the TV.

I did also have a wee thought about doing a manual reprogramming of the Humax box but don’t want to totally knacker it up.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 13:54

Forget inside aerials. Manual retune would be an idea as humax could be picking up Burntisland instead of Shotts or vice versa
I'd take it elsewhere to retune and check it, then return it to the home
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Sep 14:48

"The problem is between the aerial socket and the Humax box not getting a decent reception. So I’ll get an aerial booster to run between the wall and the Humax, or should it be the Humax and the TV."

Our TV downlead cable from the aerial goes to a signal booster unit, then a flylead goes from there into the Humax box ,which then connects through to the TV......................all good.

If you try picture and sound quality in that configuration and there is an issue on either - try tuning each separately with the flylead direct from the booster............. by process of elimination that should indicate where the problem lies.

Freeview has been changing allocated channels in recent times, so retuning will get your devices updated.

As above - perhaps your Humax was not tuning to the nearest transmitter - that would be Craigkelly ?

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/what-transmitter-receive-signal

Post Edited (Mon 13 Sep 14:50)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net