DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ryder Cup
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Tue 21 Sep 18:13

Very much looking forward to this event although the US look a good bit stronger than Europe this year - but isn’t that always the case before the event?

Tickets went on sale for the Rome Ryder Cup next year today as well. Premium tickets and full week grounds tickets and no single days at this point.

Premium were sold out when I got through the queue and ground tickets were an eye watering €975 just for entry 🤯. Crazy pricing but I am sure they will sell out.

I’ve been to a couple Ryder Cups and there is so little golf on view at any given time (even on singles day) that it makes it even more insane.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ryder Cup
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 21 Sep 18:24

buzzing, IMHO best sporting event on the calander . Crazy prices for a major sporting event that is better on tv

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 09:45

I don`t play golf but it is probably my favourite sporting event in terms of excitement and tension

Europe seem to have gone for experience rather than blooding some of the good young bucks

I honestly thought MacIntyre would have been in the team

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 10:08

Similarly love watching Ryder Cup but don’t follow the sport closely.

Are Poulter and Garcia in the team on form or nostalgia based on previous outings?

Thought they’d find a place for Justin Rose to be honest.

Post Edited (Wed 22 Sep 10:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 10:36

Poulter I am sure of his 7 appearances 5 have been via captain picks and has had a decent season.
Garcia a little surprised over Rose especially given history he has had with Harrington.
Lowry was probably on best form of the 3. I would have picked Rose like poulter on past experience.
US picks 4 think Europe should do same

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 11:49

I think the US now pick 6.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 12:17

Poulter lives for the Ryder cup, like Buspass I thought MacIntyre was a stick on

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 22:12

I`m surprised Poults has got the pick. not had a great season plus Rose picked up a bit at the end of the year. Sergio has played pretty well this year. As soon as he gave Wentworth a pass you knew he was picked.

Bob had a poor end of season. Three missed cuts in America, two of which weren`t even on the main show. Then missed the cut at Wentworth.
Being honest he should have kept going in Europe and the invite would have came when he was ready.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 22:14

I watch (and play) quite a lot of golf, and almost certainly will spend most of Sunday watching the action, but I do find the Ryder Cup a little over-hyped – virtually a year’s obsession all coming to a climax over about an hour’s play in the singles.

Of course, every year, I think this will be the year the Americans scoosh it and it will turn out a damp squib (like back in the 70s) but that hasn’t happened for a while.

I also tend to think that the captain’s role is over-stated and a lot of it boils down to luck, but then year after year someone makes a mess of it.

As for captain’s picks – do you go with class or do you go with form (or do you go with Poulter – not sure if his exploits count as class or form), or do you take other factors into account? Understanding what triggers a return to form may be key.

I don’t follow form or facts closely enough to give an informed view on team selection. I would have gone with Rose over Poulter, and wouldn’t have picked Westwood had it come to it– easy for me to say, but potentially a make or break decision for Harrington, – a tough call, but that’s what the captain gets paid for.

However, I asked my pro what he thought and he said Harrington had got it spot on.

As for Bob MacIntyre – he seems a bit off form. I just wonder if it’s all happened a bit too quickly for him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 22 Sep 22:46

I would have picked Rose over Poulter too. I think I`d want a bit more than beating your chest every time you holed the odd putt, but I could be proved wrong?

I think USA will win and perhaps by a few? Steve Stricker is a very nice guy, by all accounts, so can see them doing well.

Speith and Thomas are my best bets to be top points scorers - 10/1 the pair and 1/4 odds 4 places.
I`m sure they will be paired together ( they are good pals ) and play the most matches

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Sep 06:57

There is a very different mentality to match play over normal strokeplay golf which is why I see Paulette being the pick but his powers were fading even at the last Ryder Cup. I would probably have still had him and then had Rose over Garcia though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 23 Sep 13:04

Garcia still gets it tight at most US track's after what he said about Tiger a few years ago so it will no doubt be ramped up even more being a Ryder cup and so many casual fans - who otherwise wouldn't normally go to a golf event - on the sauce.

The US team looks like it should be well ahead on paper but the whole media circus and WAG culture resembles an episode of Desperate Housewives and then you have the subplot of the likes of DeChambeau who strikes me as very much a lone wolf as opposed to a team player.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Sep 00:23

Really not off to the best of starts, day 1 damage limitation & try and get something back in day 2.

Gleneagles was an amazing even for getting to be there so close to home but it was a slightly diminished experience as the last day was a procession we were so far ahead - I really hope we don’t hand the Americans a similar disappointment

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Sep 21:58

Gubbed

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 27 Sep 08:31

USA had 6 rookie`s and 8 players under 30 .. bodes well for the future

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Sep 09:19

It will be harder for the USA in Italy, with the rough severe and a boisterous European crowd, but you would still expect the Americans to come out on top? There doesn`t appear to be a great crop of young Europeans coming through?

Post Edited (Mon 27 Sep 09:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 27 Sep 09:24

Quite an emotional interview with Rory McIlroy on BBC Sport.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Sep 12:41

Some decent young players with Rahm, Hovland, Mitchell and the like but that’s the last hurrah for the old guard and it doesn’t look like the volume is enough - and the quality of the US team right through is frightening.

It usually is mind you but the now look like they “get” what being a team is all about. Can see Europe getting a few more pastings.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net